The Student Room Group

Questions about Film degrees

Hello! I am looking at university in 2016 and have just received my AS results of BBCD which is on track to what I need for my chosen universities. I hope to work in the production of film as a career in roles such as producing or screenwriting. I'm looking at a degree course including the production of film and have found a few including

Film making at Leeds Beckett and Manchester Met
Film production and Northumbria
Creative writing and film studies at Liverpool John Moores
English and Film at Newcastle

I have ensured all these courses do have modules if not are fully focused on producing films and learning skills required. I do not take any A levels relating to film or media, would this be a large issue?

For some of these I've started creating portfolios and looking into my own skills in drawing, writing, film ideas and creating my own short music videos (just the video, not the music obviously)

I am also planning to go on the BFI Film Residential programme in February.

I was just wondering how devoted and experienced in film making would I need to be to be successful and realistically obtain a place assuming I achieve the required grades?

Will I need to be extremely skilled in film making or will the fact I show interest and produce my own work be enough?

I also don't have expensive videoing and editing software, would this need to be purchased for the course?

Any other tips and advice on careers in film, film courses or experience would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Latest