The Student Room Group

The school doesn't think I'm an Oxbridge candidate, should I?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by bulf
I managed to get an offer with subpar GCSE grades so its pretty damn obvious that an excellent PS, reference and predicted grades is enough to land you an interview. Once you reach the interview stage your grades dont matter and its all about your performance on the day.

When I was applying Computing was considered a weak subject (probably still is?). If thats the case then dropping it and holding on to chemistry (for AS) is definitely the better option

ICT is a "softer" A-level.
Computing is fine.

And the new A-level in Computer Science should be fine too.
Original post by Misora
Me? I didn't get invited to an Oxbridge talk, so I only want to know whether there's still a chance even if the school may not agree. I really don't see how this is trolling...

He's referring to Bulf, not you!
Reply 42
Original post by Plagioclase
He's referring to Bulf, not you!

Oh :blushing: :bricks:
Reply 43
Original post by gavinlowe
Gosh, there's a lot of misinformation in this thread.

Your GCSE scores are less good than those for most successful candidates for Computer Science at Oxford. However (contrary to popular opinion) we don't put a huge amount of weight on them, as they're not particularly good indicators. The MAT and interviews are the most important factors. But you'll need to persuade us that you're better than your GCSEs suggest.

The personal statement is quite important, but far from the most important factor. But please don't lie on it, as you'll get found out.

If you can take Further Maths, then that would help you. But I don't recommend dropping Computing in order to do so.

Gavin

I think I'll have a decent personal statement because I've done a lot whilst I was/am still at school, although I'm not able to take further maths just because of the way my subject blocks work out :frown:
Aim high! and be who you want to be and there will be always things like that happening in your life. They're not the people who will take you on to studying so don't take it on your heart the fact that they didn't invite you!
Original post by Protagoras

Ox/Cam does expect all A*'s even if they only put A on their websites.

Getting all A's means you'll get into a good university (top40) and you'll have a great career.

The key to university is knowing why you chose those a-level subjects

All of this is spectacularly wrong. Why purport to advise someone when you clearly have no expertise?
Original post by TimmonaPortella
All of this is spectacularly wrong. Why purport to advise someone when you clearly have no expertise?

I'm not getting into a 'handbags at dawn' as every other day someone asks I'm predicted all A*'s, can I get into Oxford?!.. I usually avoid bickering over Oxbridge *******s.

If you are aiming for the top then expect that they want the best of the best grades and that doesn't need explaining.

If OP got all A's at GCSE then is likely to get the same results (though not guaranteed) at a-level then entry into the top 40/50 shouldn't be a problem and all of these are what the employers are after.

The key to a successful career is deciding how you can make a difference to the world which will make you decide the degree you'll want to do: civil engineering/economics/neuroscience.. then the a-level subjects are obvious.

I'm not going any further with this conversation, so don't expect further responses.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Just want to point out that the references in schools are written by amalgamating input from all an applicant's teachers, not just the single one who thinks they have what it takes. They are then put in under the name of the head of centre. A school is not going to allow one lone wolf to change the whole system in support of one candidate in whom everyone else has no faith.

Well, for the ones I know, it went like that. Simply because it is pretty difficult to judge a student on a subject, you don't teach them. (E.g. A history teacher is way more competent to judge ones ability for history, the others can only give an overall opinion. And if the teacher supporting you, has a certain position, he won't be easily overrun.) So while I admit it can happen like you describe, it can also happen like I describe.
Original post by Nathanielle
Well, for the ones I know, it went like that. Simply because it is pretty difficult to judge a student on a subject, you don't teach them. (E.g. A history teacher is way more competent to judge ones ability for history, the others can only give an overall opinion. And if the teacher supporting you, has a certain position, he won't be easily overrun.) So while I admit it can happen like you describe, it can also happen like I describe.

Well, I'm describing what's happened in 27 years of writing Ucas references in 2 schools. I speak from long personal experience of doing the job.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Well, I'm describing what's happened in 27 years of writing Ucas references in 2 schools. I speak from long personal experience of doing the job.

Yeah and that is fine. It is nice, that the schools you worked at, had a professional attitude without any inner conflicts and. Sadly, that isn't what I got to hear and saw. Nevertheless your experience does not mean, it works like that everywhere.
Original post by Nathanielle
Yeah and that is fine. It is nice, that the schools you worked at, had a professional attitude without any inner conflicts and. Sadly, that isn't what I got to hear and saw. Nevertheless your experience does not mean, it works like that everywhere.

Perhaps not. Good luck with your application.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending