The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

ED209 Psychology Resit

My wife is currently studying for her ED209 resit which she gained a fail/resit result on back in June's exams (she got 39 points with a 40 pass requirement).

She has heard that the resit will be the same paper/questions as the original June exam, is there any truth to this?

Also, while searching Google, I saw a page on here speaking generally that some universities make the resit simpler by asking just one question, and as a result capping the pass at 40 (Pass 4). I know by looking at the Assessment Handbook found here (http://www.open.ac.uk/students/charter/sites/www.open.ac.uk.students.charter/files/files/ecms/web-content/assessment-handbook-after290912.pdf) that the OU does cap at Pass 4 unless you have been given a uncapped resit of which they tell you prior to the exam, however I am wondering about how this works with ease of the paper in general.
Original post by gbanzer89
My wife is currently studying for her ED209 resit which she gained a fail/resit result on back in June's exams (she got 39 points with a 40 pass requirement).

She has heard that the resit will be the same paper/questions as the original June exam, is there any truth to this?

Also, while searching Google, I saw a page on here speaking generally that some universities make the resit simpler by asking just one question, and as a result capping the pass at 40 (Pass 4). I know by looking at the Assessment Handbook found here (http://www.open.ac.uk/students/charter/sites/www.open.ac.uk.students.charter/files/files/ecms/web-content/assessment-handbook-after290912.pdf) that the OU does cap at Pass 4 unless you have been given a uncapped resit of which they tell you prior to the exam, however I am wondering about how this works with ease of the paper in general.

Can't speak for the psychology faculty but generally the resit is a NEW, unseen paper, with the same format as the original (i.e. same amount/type of questions) and unless you had special circumstances submitted etc.. the result is capped at a Grade 4 pass regardless of how well you pass.

Couldn't see the point of asking the same questions again as that would be an unfair advantage as you would have time to get the answers down and see forum posts about what people wrote for questions after results were issued. Wouldn't really test your knowledge.
(edited 8 years ago)
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
the seen question was the same and one or 2 of the optional questions were the same, but not the entire paper, and yes we were already aware of the result cap.

Turns out she got 31/100 on her first attempt only because she didn't read the instructions correctly and answered 2 questions on the same section - thereby most likely disqualifying both of her answers so the seen question was the only question marked. she could have had 60-90% had she not made that old-school mistake :redface: hopefully for next time she has learned her lesson lol
Original post by gbanzer89
the seen question was the same and one or 2 of the optional questions were the same, but not the entire paper, and yes we were already aware of the result cap.

Turns out she got 31/100 on her first attempt only because she didn't read the instructions correctly and answered 2 questions on the same section - thereby most likely disqualifying both of her answers so the seen question was the only question marked. she could have had 60-90% had she not made that old-school mistake :redface: hopefully for next time she has learned her lesson lol

Wouldn't have thought they would disqualify the questions. Usually (I've done maths & computing degree and now doing science modules) if you do more than is required for each section they go with the best scoring ones. But Psych could be different I suppose.

Either way proves a very important lesson. Always read the instructions first! :wink: (Although did she not practice on past papers so would know the drill? Well unless it was a new module without past papers I suppose but there is usually a specimen paper with the format on).
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest