The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
You'll forget about the cold when you see the city - it's amazing, and in a perfect location. You'll only shiver a bit anyway. My mam always says that what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger :biggrin:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 21
Paranoid Kid
I think people give the cold a hard time. I think it's wicked - you don't have to make an effort with clothes, just throw on lots of warm things :biggrin:

I agree. I actually really enjoy cold weather. :smile:
Reply 22
it's so great walking around witha huge warm sweater or jacket and seeing other people freezing and thanking urself for having os muc hclothes..
hehe no i agree with all that love the cold weather. I was a week in iceland and eventho it was fregging -15 or so it was still so beautiful.
Reply 23
in comparison with russian -35 C in winter Ed is gorgeous )))
Reply 24
It's definately chilly but it's not Siberia, you'll be fine, just bring a wooly jumper and a coat!!!
Reply 25
Not forgetting your socks ofcourse.
killeroo
Is Durham really as freezing as everyone keeps telling me?! I live in Devon and keep being told I should "really think hard" about going to Durham because it gets so cold, haha

As a fellow Devonian who has lived in Durham for the past two years I can tell you that Durham isn't actually as freezing as your friends keep telling you! As pikaboo pointed out Durham doesn't get as much rain as we get in Devon so that's got to be a good thing eh? I see it as amazing being a Plymothian.....

Also, Durham is definitely not as cold as Salamanca during the winter. I walked to a lecture in -1 back in November and partying when it was -6, I can't remember temperatures as cold as that and as frequent in Durham.

It's bright blue skies here at the moment though, and I wore a skirt, sleeveless top and sandals for the first time this year yesterday.:smile:
Reply 27
Yes it's all lovely and warm here today! Not quite skirt, short sleeves and sandals, but no coat or scarf, just a thin jumper. I like this kind of temperature. :smile:
Reply 28
Becca
Yes it's all lovely and warm here today! Not quite skirt, short sleeves and sandals, but no coat or scarf, just a thin jumper. I like this kind of temperature. :smile:

Is there any temperature that you don't actually enjoy?
Reply 29
AdamTJ
Is there any temperature that you don't actually enjoy?

Yeah, anything above 25 degrees tends to annoy me. I'm a cool-cold weather person.
Although going to an outside toilet in -26 degrees wasn't fun :s-smilie:

Essentially I like spring/autumn weather.

There you go, you've learned something really interesting and useful about me today. :p:
Reply 30
how long is it to the mountains from durham, or is it jsut hills?
Reply 31
simdam

The North East doesn't exactly compare to the Himalayas...
Reply 32
simdam

It's about 1hour30mins drive to the Lake District (where I'm from), which has the biggest mountains in England.
Reply 33
Becca
It's about 1hour30mins drive to the Lake District (where I'm from), which has the biggest mountains in England.

England's highest mountain (Scafell Pike I believe) is less than 1,000 metres tall...Our mountains aren't exactly record breaking.
Reply 34
True, but they are still mountains, they are still beautiful and you can still do mountainy things on them like climbing, hiking, picnicking, view admiring, paragliding...don't diss the Lake District. :hmmm:
Reply 35
True, but they are still mountains, they are still beautiful and you can still do mountainy things on them like climbing, hiking, picnicking, view admiring, paragliding...don't diss the Lake District. :hmmm:
There is always roseberry topping ( a funny looking hill) thats nice to have picnics on
Reply 37
It's gonna snow after the weekend! Bye bye Spring :frown:
Reply 38
wohoooo snow finally :biggrin:

"Boycot the way too early spring and help fight global warming" :biggrin:
Reply 39
Weather for monday tuesday and wednesday as according to BBC

Monday: 2 to 7 degrees with sleet showers
Tuesday: 0 to 4 degrees with sleet showers
Wednesday: -4 to 6 degrees with sleet showers

i'd bring warm clothes and something if it rains :biggrin:

gonna b FUN :biggrin: