The Student Room Group

Dropping out of uni?

Hi guys, I've currently just starting my second year of uni, however I am seriously considering dropping out. I spent most of last year completely uninterested in my course, which meant I didn't go to a lot of my lectures. At first I thought if I changed to a different course I might enjoy everything more, however the further into last year I got the more I felt it was my attitude to university instead of the course - I just don't seem to fit in with everyone else there. Yeah, I have made a couple of really good friends, but I just don't feel like we have that much in common - I seem to be the only person not crazy about going out clubbing all the time. I also have anxiety which can make me feel really insecure and lonely, this then stops me talking to people as much as I should on my course even though I really try to which makes me feel more lonely! I just don't think the whole uni lifestyle is for me, does anyone else feel this way?
The main thing that stopped me from dropping out last year was that I would come to regret my decision/not get a great job if I'm not a graduate, but I'm just not sure I can stick it out for another two years when I know I won't like it there.

has anyone else dropped out or been in this decision? If so what did you do? :smile:
Reply 1
I haven't been in the same situation, although I did drop out of uni temporarily - in Freshers' Week of my first year though, I just wasn't in the right state of mind for it at all. I went back (same uni, same course) the next year though, so different to you.

But if you really feel like you're not happy being at uni, and that it's not right for you, then do it. If you do feel that dropping out is the best option, then doing it now is more sensible - if you get closer to the end, it's more worthwhile to finish it. It would also be worth deciding now for sure, as I think student loans cover 4 years - so if you do drop out now, you should still have 3 years covered by student loans if you decide you'd like to go back again in the future at some point.

I guess the main thing is working out what would be best for you if you do drop out. Do you know what you'd plan to do job-wise, or where to look? Do you have an ideal career in your mind? Or would you be happier going home and commuting to uni, working from home the way you're happiest instead? (I moved home in my final year, never went to lectures or the uni library, just studied using online journals, textbooks and Google Scholar, only ever going into uni for dissertation meetings and to hand in assignments, and was far happier that way, because I really didn't have many friends at all at uni).

Good luck whatever you decide. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending