The Student Room Group
Reply 1
It really depends on each individual instructor mate. I bet some have had good and some had bad experiences with them!
Reply 2
I was with them and found them great.

They had those card thingys so you could see what you needed to practice privately :smile:
Reply 3
Have heard mixed things about them - some good, some bad. But I guess you will get that with any school. Its more the instructor than the school tbh! If your happy with them, thats the main thing!
Reply 4
Just to say what everybody else has, the company you go with is usually irrelevant, it's the instructor that's important.
Reply 5
It's the instrcutor which is important which is why there is no point of paying so much extra to go with BSM. The only advantage of BSM is you know you're instructor won't take liberties and won't often cancel lessons or cut them short. Just make sure you go with a private instructor who is reccommended.

The only advantage of BSM is you know you're instructor won't take liberties and won't often cancel lessons or cut them short.

That's certainly not true. There is no guarantee of getting a good instructor with any school. Recommendations are the way to go.
Reply 7
danny8522003
That's certainly not true. There is no guarantee of getting a good instructor with any school. Recommendations are the way to go.

but it's BSM who you deal with for booking and re-arranging lessons, if your instructor is mucking you around then he will be mucking BSM around as well and I doubt they'd stand for that.
Reply 8
garethDT
It's the instrcutor which is important which is why there is no point of paying so much extra to go with BSM

I would agree with you, except from what I've seen around here at least, the price of BSM lessons is barely more than other companies. Mine (BSM) were £1 a lesson more than my girlfriend's (private instructor) were. Until he raised the price and they are now the same. This price seems to be in the same region as all my friends' lessons.

OP: yeah, it's the instructor that matters. My instructor was great, but some people have a bad time with BSM.
Reply 9
I found that both the AA and BSM base their prices on the area you are from, so because I live in a 'better' area, their prices were about £5/6 more per hour than small companies/individual instructors. There was no way I was going to pay that much more when they are equally good (if not better instructors), that were cheaper. I had heard bad things about some BSM/AA instructors, which didn't really encourage me to go to them either, but as I said earlier, its the individual instructor that matters really. So if you don't mind the price difference, or there isn't one really for you, then you are just as likely to get a good/crap instructor with BSM/AA/small company/individual.
Reply 10
BSM = Bring Some Money, reliable but sometimes overpriced depending on where you live

I had 18 lessons with a private instructor and no extra driving and passed 1st time, though my instructor was a legend :smile:
Reply 11
i had bsm. booking the lessons was a pain as they were always booked up! I had to wait like a whole month between lessons sumtimes! then i decided to book like 3 months in advance so that sorted it! and they make u take a lot of lessons too many in my view. they like to grab ur money! passed first time though so it proves i was well ready for it.
Reply 12
i had bsm changed after couple of lessons

the instructor seem to not give a crap! and booking driving tests is the biggest pain !
Reply 13
I really dont understand why people had problems booking lessons/ tests with BSM.

I booked my lessons through my instructor, she preferred to have me the slot every week but i couldnt do this due to school commitments but i always fit in 1/2 lessons a week.

Booked my test the same way anyone else would? Through the DVLA website?
Reply 14
garethDT
The only advantage of BSM is you know you're instructor won't take liberties and won't often cancel lessons or cut them short.

hahahaha. oh my days, my did all the time, and I had a regular spot and was still messed around.
And the BSM office will do your head in. :mad: Especially when they invent driving lessons you booked and so charge you for not going to them. Oh and my mate's dad had to go into the office and stand there until they rebooked her practical exam, they took about 2weeks of not doing it until then.
SO glad I've passed.
Reply 15
I've had quite a bad experience with BSM. There's been plenty of times when I've had to wait several weeks to get a lesson. I've also had three different instructors, as my two previous instructors left the company, but that may have just been bad luck. Now my current instructor is also leaving BSM, but he's just going to a different driving school, so I'm following him there. It does mean even more disruption for me though. Thankfully, my test is soon, and I can't wait until I pass so I don't have to put up with this anymore. I've had 40 hours of lessons with BSM now.
I had a really good BSM instructor, and BSM were friendly and useful. Which they better be because its bloody expensive.

Latest

Trending

Trending