The Student Room Group

Stuck choosing a course

So I've kind of messed up my first year (due to certain circumstances) but have been allowed to repeat the year or transfer over to another course, I have until Thursday to decide. In my first year I choose optometry but didn't really enjoy it, people say it's different in practice but having done a bit of work experience it seems quite repetitive, part of the reason I messed up was because I didn't enjoy the course.

Looking at other courses neuroscience seems to have got my attention, the modules seem more interesting, it's just that I'm not too sure about the job prospects. The average salary seems to be £25000, nearly £10000 lower than optometry according to uni stats but I'm not sure how accurate that statistic is as I've heard how optometry is on the decline and how too many people are doing it.

I'm not sure about some of the jobs involved in neuroscience for example being a research technician at a university or being a science technician for an education company. However you can also become a clinical trail leader for a pharmaceutical company which seems more appealing.

Money isn't the biggest factor but it is a factor at the end of the day. This is one of the biggest decisions I've had to make so any advice would be appreciated, especially from neuroscience students.
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
bump
Reply 3
You're agonising over what you ought to do.

What do you want to do?
Reply 4
That's the problem I'm not too sure I could pick neuroscience, and I'd probably enjoy it but I'm not sure I'd enjoy the jobs involved with it. One person on tsr speaks about how you have very little free time with it when going into research, things like that put me off. When it comes to this I'm very indecisive the reason is that I just want to make sure I'm making a good choice in the long term and it's the fear of doing something I'll regret which makes me depressed.
Reply 5
bump
Reply 6
Do some serious research; list all the things that interest you and try to pinpoint a career that you think would be most suited to you. It's good that you're taking serious consideration when deciding on your next step, but at the same time, don't be afraid of making the wrong decision. From personal experience, don't beat yourself up that you may be making the wrong choice, it's all valuable experience and you will learn from "mistakes".

I started out studying nursing, I really enjoyed it but decided it wasn't the path I saw myself continuing on long term, and so I switched to diagnostic radiography. I start on Monday and I know 100% it's what I want to do. I don't regret starting nursing at all, it was through that I discovered radiography. Speak to current students on courses that interest you, speak to a career adviser and qualified professionals, do all you can so you can make an informed decision. Also, don't let salary be a factor, do something because you enjoy it.

Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending