The Student Room Group

Is foundation year engineering worth it if you don't have a-level Maths???????

Please i need advise. Have to make my a-level choices tomorrow and i can't do a-level maths but interested in engineering...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Gilezzz
Please i need advise. Have to make my a-level choices tomorrow and i can't do a-level maths but interested in engineering...

Unis like sheffield, manchester etc prefer students in the wrong subjects for their foundation year
Reply 2
So wont be a problem
Well as long as you have some physics experience because maths will be part of the course.
Reply 4
Original post by dahl786
Unis like sheffield, manchester etc prefer students in the wrong subjects for their foundation year

What about unis in London? The AS topics i have picked at bio,chem,physics and economics. Is that the right choices for going into engineering?
Reply 5
Original post by BinaryJava
Well as long as you have some physics experience because maths will be part of the course.

Yeah i am doing physics for AS. Is that enough?
Original post by Gilezzz
Yeah i am doing physics for AS. Is that enough?

Yeah that should be fine, since one of the units for physics is the mechanics stuff with stress and strain.
Reply 7
Original post by Gilezzz
What about unis in London? The AS topics i have picked at bio,chem,physics and economics. Is that the right choices for going into engineering?

What type of engineering are you interested in?
Reply 8
Original post by Gilezzz

If you are talking about foundation year, you are subjects are fine

If you want to go in 1st year, you will need maths at a2
Reply 9
Original post by Summit
What type of engineering are you interested in?

Mechanical Engineering
Reply 10
Original post by Gilezzz

Yes u can do foundation course with any 3 A levels in most universities with grades equal or better than three B's.

I got a place for engineering foundation at nottingham with those grades, but in subjects Maths, Physics and DT.

However if u read the course requirements it says there in the entry requirements:
'BBB at A level (any A levels will be considered) or equivalent. You must also possess mathematics and physics (or double science) at GCSE (or equivalent) level, both at grade B, and a grade C in GCSE English or equivalent.*'

*Taken from Nottingham uni website.

Birmingham would even accept grades BBC.

I'd suggest you to check a few uni websites for entry requirements so u can plan for what A levels you'll need :smile:

Good luck
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Gilezzz
Mechanical Engineering

Hi,

Out of curiosity, why can't you do A-level Maths? Doing A-level Maths would mean not needing to do a whole foundation year and also is very advantageous as engineering is a very maths-based degree. If there is any possibility of doing A-level Maths that would probably be the best option.
Reply 12
Original post by Angel28
Hi,

Out of curiosity, why can't you do A-level Maths? Doing A-level Maths would mean not needing to do a whole foundation year and also is very advantageous as engineering is a very maths-based degree. If there is any possibility of doing A-level Maths that would probably be the best option.

I only got a C for Gcse maths so my school won't let me do it. I only got so low because i had no teacher the whole year.
Reply 13
Original post by Gilezzz

I would suggest doing the full A level in Physics as it is the most relevant instead of one of the others, also subjects like Electronics, Computing/Computer Science and Design Technology(Materials or Systems and Control pathways) are relevant for Engineering

Also, does you college offer BTEC Level 3 Engineering? because if you did that and it included the Maths and Further Maths For Engineering modules, a lot of unis accept those modules in lieu of A level Maths for example I had a friend who like you wasnt allowed to do A level Maths so he did Use of Maths, Physics and Electronics which wasnt accepted without the full Maths A level, however he got into York among other top unis, because he had done the BTEC Maths/FM for Engineering modules - No foundation required

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Gilezzz
I only got a C for Gcse maths so my school won't let me do it. I only got so low because i had no teacher the whole year.

Hi,

Ok I understand now. According to QueNNch's post above you would need to have at least a B in GCSE maths and I checked University of Sheffield who also want at least B in GCSE Maths. You could check other universities of interest to see what they want but maybe it would be a good idea to retake GCSE Maths.
Reply 15
Original post by Angel28
Hi,

Ok I understand now. According to QueNNch's post above you would need to have at least a B in GCSE maths and I checked University of Sheffield who also want at least B in GCSE Maths. You could check other universities of interest to see what they want but maybe it would be a good idea to retake GCSE Maths.

Yeah i will retake Maths Gcse. But by the time i apply in 2 years will they increase the entry requirements again?
Reply 16
Original post by yt7777
I would suggest doing the full A level in Physics as it is the most relevant instead of one of the others, also subjects like Electronics, Computing/Computer Science and Design Technology(Materials or Systems and Control pathways) are relevant for Engineering

Also, does you college offer BTEC Level 3 Engineering? because if you did that and it included the Maths and Further Maths For Engineering modules, a lot of unis accept those modules in lieu of A level Maths for example I had a friend who like you wasnt allowed to do A level Maths so he did Use of Maths, Physics and Electronics which wasnt accepted without the full Maths A level, however he got into York among other top unis, because he had done the BTEC Maths/FM for Engineering modules - No foundation required

Hope this helps :smile:

My college does not offer that but thanks!
Reply 17
Original post by Gilezzz
Yeah i will retake Maths Gcse. But by the time i apply in 2 years will they increase the entry requirements again?

It's hard to predict something like that but try to get the highest possible rather than the minimum B. I suggest doing MyMaths online homeworks and all of the past papers for GCSE Maths. Good luck!
Reply 18
Original post by Angel28
It's hard to predict something like that but try to get the highest possible rather than the minimum B. I suggest doing MyMaths online homeworks and all of the past papers for GCSE Maths. Good luck!

Ok thank you! I will try my best.
Reply 19
Original post by QueNNch

Yes u can do foundation course with any 3 A levels in most universities with grades equal or better than three B's.

I got a place for engineering foundation at nottingham with those grades, but in subjects Maths, Physics and DT.

However if u read the course requirements it says there in the entry requirements:
'BBB at A level (any A levels will be considered) or equivalent. You must also possess mathematics and physics (or double science) at GCSE (or equivalent) level, both at grade B, and a grade C in GCSE English or equivalent.*'

*Taken from Nottingham uni website.

Birmingham would even accept grades BBC.

I'd suggest you to check a few uni websites for entry requirements so u can plan for what A levels you'll need :smile:

Good luck
If you do a foundation year at uni like Nottingham...you will have to stay there after you finish your foundation year to study the degree right? Is Nottingham a good uni to study engineering? How is the employabilty like?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending