The Student Room Group

Is foundation year engineering worth it if you don't have a-level Maths???????

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Gilezzz
If you do a foundation year at uni like Nottingham...you will have to stay there after you finish your foundation year to study the degree right? Is Nottingham a good uni to study engineering? How is the employabilty like?

You can transfer, but nottingham is one if the best unis for engineering not only in uk but in the world.
You only have to look at qs world rankings to find out if you dont believe me 😀
Reply 21
Original post by Gilezzz
If you do a foundation year at uni like Nottingham...you will have to stay there after you finish your foundation year to study the degree right? Is Nottingham a good uni to study engineering? How is the employabilty like?

Nottingham has one of the highest success rates of their foundation year (90%) in the UK, when the national average is ~50% afaik.

Pretty high employability too, I think for Mechanical Engineering its 90% there.
Reply 22
Original post by dahl786
You can transfer, but nottingham is one if the best unis for engineering not only in uk but in the world.
You only have to look at qs world rankings to find out if you dont believe me 😀

So won't it be hard to get into?
Reply 23
Original post by QueNNch
Nottingham has one of the highest success rates of their foundation year (90%) in the UK, when the national average is ~50% afaik.

Pretty high employability too, I think for Mechanical Engineering its 90% there.

Is it hard to get in?
Reply 24
Original post by Gilezzz
So won't it be hard to get into?

If you meet the grades, then no
Reply 25
Original post by dahl786
If you meet the grades, then no

What are the grades they require? Do i have to have Maths a-level?
Reply 26
Original post by Gilezzz
What are the grades they require? Do i have to have Maths a-level?

GCSE maths and relevant science, grade B; GCSE English, Grade C; applicants must not have qualifications that would normally permit entry to an Engineering degree.
GRADES BBB
Reply 27
Original post by dahl786
GCSE maths and relevant science, grade B; GCSE English, Grade C; applicants must not have qualifications that would normally permit entry to an Engineering degree.
GRADES BBB

What does this mean ' applicants must not have qualifications that would normally permit entry to an Engineering degree.'? And does it matter if i re-do my my maths gcse in order to get B grade or higher?
Reply 28
Original post by Gilezzz
What does this mean ' applicants must not have qualifications that would normally permit entry to an Engineering degree.'? And does it matter if i re-do my my maths gcse in order to get B grade or higher?

this is only a guide, they will look at your application carefully
Original post by Gilezzz

Search into google 'University rank list' You can choose engineering and look at career prospects/student satisfaction and a few more to give you a good idea.
Reply 30
When you are at Sixth form they guide you through the whole university applying process and help you with any confusing u might have so don't worry yet.

Just remember that high grades at any A levels can get you into a foundation course.

Quick Reply

Latest