The Student Room Group

is a law degree from an ex-poly useless?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pp93
I agree with you that it is fiercely competitive but not to the extent you're making it out to be.

I'm not from Oxbridge and yet this year I and many others in my university cohort (law and non-law) managed to get training contracts at a whole range of firms from big international to regional ones without family connections. The same goes for friends and people I know in accountancy and banking.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree and just for the record I am not trolling either. I personally know several graduates from ex-poli that had no problem in securing a training contract or -- for these that didn't want a career in law - in other position. Is it easy ? of course it isn't but the good and motivated graduates succeed. There is no simple formula on what makes a successful lawyer and education is only part of that formula. Law firms know that very well: you can have lousy lawyers regardless of the institution. I would say that in this market having a good degree e.g. a First from a ex-poly is still very valuable and a 2:1 might also be fine.

According to some urban legends all these LLB graduates from ex-poly are doomed and only russell group, oxbridge have a chance. This is simply not true.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by christianlaw
I agree and just for the record I am not trolling either. I personally know several graduates from ex-poli that had no problem in securing a training contract or -- for these that didn't want a career in law - in other position. Is it easy ? of course it isn't but the good and motivated graduates succeed. There is no simple formula on what makes a successful lawyer and education is only part of that formula. Law firms know that very well: you can have lousy lawyers regardless of the institution. I would say that in this market having a good degree e.g. a First from a ex-poly is still very valuable and a 2:1 might also be fine.

According to some urban legends all these LLB graduates from ex-poly are doomed and only russell group, oxbridge have a chance. This is simply not true.

Apologies I didn't mean that it was you that was trolling!

I should add that with any form of client facing skilled job, much more than your degree matters. It's no good having a first from Oxbridge if you can't communicate your knowledge in a client-friendly way and get on with people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by Dodge-Slant-6
I'm pretty sure I am not trolling......I wouldn't have spent the time I did writing it if I was trolling. And don't discount what I wrote above. I'm sorry if it isn't what you want to hear, but it is the truth. It is a different world out there from when your parents and even your older brothers finished uni and went into the world of work.

It is 100 times more competitive today. You need a degree from Oxbridge and City connections to get anywhere in law, finance, accountancy or business today. It sucks, but it's true. A degree from nearly any other university will not do. Unless, of course, you are in a really hot STEM field outside law. And if you just have some lame arts & humanities degree from the basic Russell Group Redbrick, you might as well immigrate to Canada right now, because there is no job for you unless 'Daddy's firm' is willing to take you on, or you have a family friend with influence in the world of media on Fleet Street, the BBC, or in Whitehall.

It's not Oxbridge that they look for, it's the best individuals. Often they happen to have gone to Oxbridge, but many go to other universities too. Your analysis is too simplistic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by justag
It's not Oxbridge that they look for, it's the best individuals. Often they happen to have gone to Oxbridge, but many go to other universities too. Your analysis is too simplistic.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree entirely. Dodge evidence is purely anecdotal. Employment and competitiveness differs greatly from one area to another so I don't see how "100 times more complicate today" can be credible at all. Best individuals is what every law firm or chamber is looking for. Talent. Often having good A levels and a good degree from a highly ranked University is valued as an indicator of ambition and hard work. In other cases talented individual might well go to an ex-poly for a myriad of reasons but can still prove that they have the talent and skills to success in law. For these motivated and hard working individual there will be a place in the legal profession.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending