The Student Room Group
There are some very useful addresses and contacts on this website for publishing firms located in london.

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/cms/ShowPage/Home_page/Explore_job_sectors/Publishing/Information_sources/p!edaLgg#rdpub41028
Reply 2
Go to the publishing houses' websites to see whether they offer work experience. I think most do - I know Bloomsbury does. You need to apply as soon as possible, as work experience is in HUGE demand. It's one of the most effective ways of starting out in publishing, so a lot of people want to do it.

Apply to the smaller publishers as well as the major ones - they're less likely to have applications coming out of their ears, and the experience will still be really useful. When I started in publishing, my employers invited me to interview on the strength of my temping experience at the local newspaper, so try to find anything vaguely related if you can't get into book publishing.

Have you thought about other types of publisher rather than just books? There are a lot of management report publishers in London - these are companies that publish research that's bought by big businesses. They tend to be quite small but it's still publishing. I've worked with International Financing Review (www.ifre.com) and Business Intelligence, both of which are good companies.

Good luck!

Latest