The Student Room Group
Students relaxing outside, University of Chester
University of Chester
Chester
Visit website

No Laptop?! DSA...

Hiya,

So my laptop has been on the brink of death for a very long time, I knew it wasn't suitable for uni but had no choice but to make do due to lack of money, I mean it could open the internet (slowly) and Microsoft word which was much better than nothing at all.

Anyway today....12 days before moving in my laptop has decided enough is enough and went up in smoke and sparks right in front of my eyes! I had 2 single tabs open on chrome! My dad said he will take it to a computer shop but this will be the like 7th time it's been repaired and the life between repairs is getting ridiculously short.

Basically I think I'm laptop-less as of today, it's completely packed it in and given up. I've sent off a form for DSA (Disabled Student Allowance ) just recently, does anyone know if I would be able to qualify for a laptop with them? Even if it's cheap? Because my course, like many, really does require one?
Original post by Flbs
Hiya,

So my laptop has been on the brink of death for a very long time, I knew it wasn't suitable for uni but had no choice but to make do due to lack of money, I mean it could open the internet (slowly) and Microsoft word which was much better than nothing at all.

Anyway today....12 days before moving in my laptop has decided enough is enough and went up in smoke and sparks right in front of my eyes! I had 2 single tabs open on chrome! My dad said he will take it to a computer shop but this will be the like 7th time it's been repaired and the life between repairs is getting ridiculously short.

Basically I think I'm laptop-less as of today, it's completely packed it in and given up. I've sent off a form for DSA (Disabled Student Allowance ) just recently, does anyone know if I would be able to qualify for a laptop with them? Even if it's cheap? Because my course, like many, really does require one?

Hi, what is your disability if you don't mind me asking? If you are accepted eligible for DSA you will be required to attend a needs assessment where they will ask you stuff about how your disability affects your study etc. the person who assesses you will then send a letter of recommendations they have made to the funding body, then the funding body either approves the recommendations and you get it, or they don't.

The thing about DSA is that it only covers things that the typical student (without a disability) is not expected to pay for. For a laptop you will probably have to make a £200 contribution (because that's around what the typical student will pay for a pretty basic model).

Plus the DSA process takes FOREVER so you won't be getting anything before the start of university if you've not even had a needs assessment, because after the needs assessment it's generally about another 4-6 weeks before you find out what's been approved.
Students relaxing outside, University of Chester
University of Chester
Chester
Visit website
Hi I'm not sure about the DSA thing. Will you be living on campus? If you don't mind only working in the library then there are plenty of facilities there so you could go without one. If not then, will you be able to use any of your student finance on a laptop? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending