The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7060
europa league next year is looking bleak
Original post by xKay

We still a game in hand over Southampton who have Tottenham to play. Won't matter of course if United bottle the FA cup final.
Original post by xKay

It would be nice to have it but even if we don't I'm still confident in us next season.
Today clearly showed how weak our side can be when we're forced to rotate and cope with injuries towards the end of the season.

Although being without Europe would be disappointing, having a season to focus on solely domestic success would leave me optimistic about our chances of competing for a top 4 place.
Original post by Zerforax
Tbh I don't particularly blame him. Arguably our best player in the team and if not that, our best striker and if not even that, our best current fit striker.

Yet he got played with the kids and won't start/play in our biggest game this season.

Wonder what he did to annoy Klopp?

Judging by his latest interview, I think he would jump if any of the champions league teams comes calling. He also lacks the camaraderie that a coach like Klopp would want. One of his quotes went something like "they are team mates not friends. They don't know abt me bla bla"
Original post by TaintedLight
Judging by his latest interview, I think he would jump if any of the champions league teams comes calling. He also lacks the camaraderie that a coach like Klopp would want. One of his quotes went something like "they are team mates not friends. They don't know abt me bla bla"

Well he'd just been left out of a high profile game and I read his comments as "players come and go from all clubs" - he's just being honest and not pretending like Liverpool are the only possible club for him.

The camaraderie stuff is bull**** though - plenty of the players look up to Sturridge and have a great relationship with him - Ibe, Ojo and others have all been seen with Sturridge outside of football.
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-boss-klopp-says-sturridge-11269659

Jurgen Klopp revealed Daniel Sturridge wanted to play the full 90 minutes in Liverpool's defeat to Swansea but would not be moved on how that impacts the striker's involvement against Villarreal this week.

Sturridge was an unused substitute in the Reds' Europa League first leg defeat in El Madrigal, but was named in the starting line-up for the trip to the Liberty Stadium.

His absence in Spain led to yet more questions over his long-term future at Liverpool, with Klopp admitting his omission was nothing to do with managing his fitness.

A recent interview with Sturridge also did little to help that, with the 26-year-old conceding he finds not being on the pitch 'hard to take', with the former Chelsea man refusing to commit to the club.

Despite that, it was Sturridge who was determined to play the full game in South Wales on Sunday, even though the second leg clash with Villarreal looms.

“I spoke to him at half time,” Klopp said. “We had already made two changes at half time, so told him if he feels something he should give me a sign.

“He said 'no, I want to play the 90 minutes' and that was absolutely no problem.

“He didn't play on Thursday, so we now have four or five days until Thursday again, so everything is good.”
Original post by Lúcio
It would be nice to have it but even if we don't I'm still confident in us next season.
Today clearly showed how weak our side can be when we're forced to rotate and cope with injuries towards the end of the season.

Although being without Europe would be disappointing, having a season to focus on solely domestic success would leave me optimistic about our chances of competing for a top 4 place.

I guess the silver lining of not getting EL is that we can focus on the league and our squad likely won't be as fatigue/injured as it was this season. Would still be dissappointing if we don't get EL, but it's not a total disaster if we don't.

Keeping players fit is going to be key next season, Leicester and Spurs have benefited hugely from keeping players fit whereas we suffered badly. We need a good preseason, Klopp managed to get Sturridge fit for a record number if games with the mini preseason so here's hoping he could do the same for the rest of the squad.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by samir12
I guess the silver lining of not getting EL is that we can focus on the league and our squad likely won't be as fatigue/injured as it was this season. Would still be dissappointing if we don't get EL, but it's not a total disaster if we don't.

Keeping players fit is going to be key next season, Leicester and Spurs have benefited hugely from keeping players fit whereas we suffered badly. We need a good preseason, Klopp managed to get Sturridge fit for a record number if games with the mini preseason so here's hoping he could do the same for the rest of the squad.

Plus, Klopp can be ruthless in the window and give the boot to a wile host of players.
As for people saying we won't bring anybody decent in, we'll be in exactly the same position as Chelsea so I reckon we'll still make a few interesting signings.

In fairness, both Leicester and Spurs have had very fortunate seasons with respect to injury and only the latter has been in Europe (and pretty much voluntarily went out to Dortmund). Next season will be very different for them both.

We're 2pts behind Soton with a game in hand, but we still have to face Chelsea. It's pretty much looking like we'll either have CL or nothing next season.
Well he'd just been left out of a high profile game and I read his comments as "players come and go from all clubs" - he's just being honest and not pretending like Liverpool are the only possible club for him.

The camaraderie stuff is bull**** though - plenty of the players look up to Sturridge and have a great relationship with him - Ibe, Ojo and others have all been seen with Sturridge outside of football.

If I was his teammate and I read that quote I would have mixed feelings
Reply 7069
"I think any player who says, 'Oh yeah, this is the only team I will play for, for the rest of my life', they are deluded. In football, every team looks for replacements every single year.

I think Sturridge will stay at Liverpool as he's clearly shown he's Liverpool's best player when fit. I think Klopp realistically should just start Sturridge against Villareal, it makes little sense not to simply because of the lack of goals in the side when him and Origi are not playing. Firmino can provide but that leaves responsibility to him and Coutinho for scoring and if you are leaving responsibility to score for Coutinho you're asking to lose the game.
Thursday is big - obviously defines our season. I mean even if we go out I don't think we can complain with a domestic cup final and EL semi final, from a manager who came in midway through the season and hasn't spent anything.

We're only a goal down and we're at home - we were in a better position at this stage vs Dortmund but they're a much better side and they scored two early goals.
Let's put in a respectable performance please and at least if things don't go well we can have no regrets.

Your match review or linking because your twitter was quoted?
Your match review or linking because your twitter was quoted?

I think she does her own reviews now :smile:
Coutinho > Ozil in that sig

****ing aids
Can you handle the 2 v 1.

@Dirtybit @SA-1 thoughts.
Original post by swirly
Can you handle the 2 v 1.

@Dirtybit @SA-1 thoughts.

I would 1 v 1
Original post by Dirtybit
I would 1 v 1

not an option.

2 v 1 including Lucio or Nothing.

thoughts.

It's your lucky day,

I'm inviting you to step into my DM's
Sakho worldwide ban for 30 days few days ago, Danny Ward set to join Huddesfield on loan next season.

Latest