The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Zerforax
He can be first sub? He got a start against Man Utd so surely others deserve a chance?

Considering he was one of our best performers, I'd say that he deserves to stay in the team :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mackay
We've delivered less crosses into the box than any other team. We bought Benteke. Both of his goals have come from crosses.

As you were.

Whilst it's pretty ridiculous to say that his overhead bicycle kick after a poor clearance header 'came from a cross', the only thing that irks me more than this is Skrtel-Lovren being played. It seems like we're crossing even less than last year. I'm not advocating a cross on sight policy but when the ball is laid off nicely and you've got time to pick a man out, we're still set on playing the ball inside. When the man you're picking out is one of the best headers in PL history, it's retarded.
Reply 62
Original post by Lúcio
Considering he was one of our best performers, I'd say that he deserves to stay in the team :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Didn't think anyone had a particularly good game tbh.
Reply 63
Original post by Pimped Butterfly
Whilst it's pretty ridiculous to say that his overhead bicycle kick after a poor clearance header 'came from a cross', the only thing that irks me more than this is Skrtel-Lovren being played. It seems like we're crossing even less than last year. I'm not advocating a cross on sight policy but when the ball is laid off nicely and you've got time to pick a man out, we're still set on playing the ball inside. When the man you're picking out is one of the best headers in PL history, it's retarded.

Well, it was a cross which found its way to Benteke. Fair enough, it wasn't direct, but you can see the point I'm getting at.

I agree. I'm not advocating an emphasis on crossing, either, but it just seems implausible to not deploy that method when Benteke is so strong in the air.

Regardless, Benteke, Skrtel, Lovren, Milner, Lucas and Clyne have not travelled to France.
Reply 64
Didn't think anyone had a particularly good game tbh.

No, it wasn't a good game in general but i can't really fault Benteke or Ings in that match, particularly the latter.
Both have played really well for us this season imo; it's just a shame that service has been so limited.
There isn't much strikers can do if the players behind them aren't performing...
Reply 65
Original post by Mackay
Well, it was a cross which found its way to Benteke. Fair enough, it wasn't direct, but you can see the point I'm getting at.

I agree. I'm not advocating an emphasis on crossing, either, but it just seems implausible to not deploy that method when Benteke is so strong in the air.

Regardless, Benteke, Skrtel, Lovren, Milner, Lucas and Clyne have not travelled to France.

Well this is where I don't understand Rodgers. Why buy Benteke if you won't cross the ball and if you won't put an attacking midfield/second striker next to him? We're happy to lump the ball to him but then there is no one next to him to take advantage.
Reply 66
Original post by Lúcio
No, it wasn't a good game in general but i can't really fault Benteke or Ings in that match, particularly the latter.
Both have played really well for us this season imo; it's just a shame that service has been so limited.
There isn't much strikers can do if the players behind them aren't performing...

Not sure you can credit them either if they're not able to do anything?
Reply 67
Not sure you can credit them either if they're not able to do anything?

A player can still play well even if they don't do anything major in a match.
Both Ings and Benteke have put in good performances when playing. The former hasn't been scoring but his time in possession has been bright and he looks very willing to put the effort in.
Considering how little service they're getting, i'd say they've done very well so far.

Well this is where I don't understand Rodgers. Why buy Benteke if you won't cross the ball and if you won't put an attacking midfield/second striker next to him? We're happy to lump the ball to him but then there is no one next to him to take advantage.

It's more infuriating than anything else.
I assumed that when he spent the 32.5m to bring in Benteke, he did it for a reason, he did it because he had a plan surely?
Clearly the man doesn't have a clue since our playing style has barely adapted to suit him.

What an idiot of a manager...
Reply 68
Original post by Lúcio
A player can still play well even if they don't do anything major in a match.
Both Ings and Benteke have put in good performances when playing. The former hasn't been scoring but his time in possession has been bright and he looks very willing to put the effort in.
Considering how little service they're getting, i'd say they've done very well so far.

It's more infuriating than anything else.
I assumed that when he spent the 32.5m to bring in Benteke, he did it for a reason, he did it because he had a plan surely?
Clearly the man doesn't have a clue since our playing style has barely adapted to suit him.

What an idiot of a manager...

Well I guess maybe he did well defending down the left side since not much came from Man Utd down that side. Don't remember him doing anything of note in attack?

Dunno, I can't work Rodgers out anymore. If we had a Lampard-esque player behind Benteke, you could make a case for it but no one is getting close to him.

Hopefully we'll see a change at the weekend when Coutinho is back? Such a shame that we're again relying on one young talented player for everything.
I will throw a hissy fit if a mod deletes though.

Can't speak for the others but i'm not removing anything
Reply 71
There have been rumours of that for a while, to be fair.

I reckon we will see a midfield three of Jordan Rossiter, Can and Coutinho and a front three of Ibe, Ings and Origi in a 4-3-3 tomorrow.
Reply 72
Toure to captain tomorrow according to Bascombe. Not good for Sakho, especially if BR wants him to sign new contract, which he confirmed in his presser.
Is Rodgers actually retarded?
Does Gerrard talk about the slip in his autobio?
Reply 75
Original post by mr tim
Toure to captain tomorrow according to Bascombe. Not good for Sakho, especially if BR wants him to sign new contract, which he confirmed in his presser.

He actually doesn't rate Sakho does he.

I just hate the man nowadays...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 76
Original post by sr90
Can't speak for the others but i'm not removing anything

:love:
Reply 77
:love:

Don't ruin it...
Reply 78
Kolo Toure will be the Liverpool Football Club Captain tonight...

Let that sink in.
Reply 79
Original post by jam277
Does Gerrard talk about the slip in his autobio?

Yeah. Tears down his face post-game on the coach, apparently.

Something else on Gerrard. Last night, he was saying how there's obviously frostiness behind the scenes between Mourinho and JT because the latter isn't starting. Surely that's the same for Rodgers and Sakho? Come on, Stevie, speak up.

Latest