The Student Room Group

Tax, Audit and Advisory

What are the pros/cons of each? I'm a second year Accounting and Finance student looking to do a placement year.

I've done some research of my own, just looking for some other perspectives on TSR :smile:
Reply 1
Audit is you get a velariety of clients so u get to move around more but there is loads of studying to do and also sometimes in the peak season its looooong hrs.

Tax mainly at the office and ur working directly with clients so not much travelling and not intense unless they have peak seasons!

Advisory - not sure
You can't just lump all of advisory into one thing as there are very different services within that (and actually brings in more revenue for the Big Four than either tax or audit). In fact the different parts of advisory should be looked at separately as you have things like Management Consulting (which within it has it's own different services), the broad range of transactions related services (which also has a lot of very different things in it), forensics, IT security/advisory, etc, etc. There's just so much to 'advisory'.
Original post by snakesnake
You can't just lump all of advisory into one thing as there are very different services within that (and actually brings in more revenue for the Big Four than either tax or audit). In fact the different parts of advisory should be looked at separately as you have things like Management Consulting (which within it has it's own different services), the broad range of transactions related services (which also has a lot of very different things in it), forensics, IT security/advisory, etc, etc. There's just so much to 'advisory'.

Do you happen to work in the professional services?
Original post by Tokyo Ghoul
Do you happen to work in the professional services?

Yes. Started off in audit, now in a transactions related role at a Big Four.
Did you happen to do the ACA qualification? It is one of the routes that I am considering.
Original post by Tokyo Ghoul
Did you happen to do the ACA qualification? It is one of the routes that I am considering.

Everyone in the Big Four does the ACA (except for a few who do ICAS or ACCA). Including me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending