The Student Room Group

I'm feeling bittersweet right now

So I'm in year 13 and have just found out that this annoying girl I've known since year 7 has moved to Texas. Like no big deal. Just moved to Texas. No going away party, no gossip, nothing. I've come to realise that people leaving is no longer a big deal at school. There are no longer parties or going-away presents like there would have been 2 years ago. It's such a weird feeling that everyone's moving on and will be moving on with their lives. Like I will never see people who I have been seeing everyday at school since nursery, again. This is not a negative feeling - I'm itching to make a fresh start at university - more a 'bittersweet' feeling, hence the title. What with people moving on, I have this terrible fear in the back of my mind of getting completely ****ty results at the end of A2 and having to repeat TWO YEARS of sixth form :bawling: that would drive me crazy, knowing that everyone else my age had moved on with their lives and I was back to square one, stuck in the past. Lol I often have nightmares to do with that; I remember at the start of year 11, I had a nightmare that I was put into year 6 again instead. I woke up, feeling horrified. Repeating sixth form defo wouldn't happen though, as I'm going to work my butt off. I want to go to quite a far-away university, and then when done, move out of my parents' house ASAP as I really can't bear the idea of coming back to where I live now. It's not that's it's bad, I just need a change, and I will most definitely be fed up of living with my family by then. I guess I better start saving now. I also, like I said in another thread, can't wait to go to America. Maybe I will end up moving there too. Idk what the point of this thread is, I guess I just wanted to share.
Thought well put. It is true that you will say cheerio to many people never to see them again, but pretty soon you will realise that the only thing tying you to them is the fact you attended the same school. So rather than mourn the loss of people you don't really care about, look forward to all the new people you will meet in the future. People for whom you share a genuine interest.

However, be wary of going too far from home. I was definitely raring to go when I left home, but glad that I studied in Brum (home was Yorkshire). A comfortable bed and a home cooked meal was only 3 hours away when it all got a bit too much - and it will do.

Good luck! These next 4 years will be the best of your life. Enjoy them!
Original post by ByEeek
Thought well put. It is true that you will say cheerio to many people never to see them again, but pretty soon you will realise that the only thing tying you to them is the fact you attended the same school. So rather than mourn the loss of people you don't really care about, look forward to all the new people you will meet in the future. People for whom you share a genuine interest.

However, be wary of going too far from home. I was definitely raring to go when I left home, but glad that I studied in Brum (home was Yorkshire). A comfortable bed and a home cooked meal was only 3 hours away when it all got a bit too much - and it will do.

Good luck! These next 4 years will be the best of your life. Enjoy them!
Thank you. Yes I'm sure I will soon realise that saying goodbye isn't too bad - half the time I moan about them all! I guess I go through weird emotional phases. I am already so excited about all the friends I have yet to meet.

About going away from home - what you're saying is true. I will think about where I want to go. I certainly don't want to stay in London - far too near.

Thank you again :smile:
Original post by Abcdefghijk123

About going away from home - what you're saying is true. I will think about where I want to go. I certainly don't want to stay in London - far too near.

Ah - well if you are London based, practically anywhere is only a few hours away. Manchester, Leeds, Brum and Bristol are all within easy reach. Plenty of choice. At one point, Dundee was my destination of choice. It would have been a nightmare!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending