The Student Room Group

Ask us anything about BMAT 2016 entry

We've noticed lots of BMAT questions sneaking in to other threads. So, we thought it's about time that BMAT gets a thread of its very own!

Hence, this is the new thread for anyone with questions, dilemmas or comments about the (dreaded!?) BMAT exam.

Here's some answers to a few common questions to get the ball rolling...

What is BMAT?

The Biomedical Admissions Test is a pen and paper exam, which takes place on a single day. This year, it's November 4. It is required by seven medical schools in the UK - and a few other courses. It consists of:

Section 1 - Aptitude and Skills
Section 2 - Scientific Knowledge
Section 3 - Writing Task

Which Medical Schools Require BMAT?

Oxford
Cambridge
UCL
Imperial
BSMS
Leeds
Lancaster

It is also required by Oxford and Leeds for post-grad Medicine, by Leeds for Dentistry, by Cambridge and the Royal Veterinary College for Veterinary Medicine, and by Oxford and Imperial for Biomedical Sciences.

How Is BMAT Marked?

In Sections 1 and 2, each question is worth one mark. All questions are multiple choice or short answer. Your raw score will be scaled into a BMAT score between 1 and 9. Average is around 5. Scores of 6 or 7 are excellent.

In Section 3, you write one essay, and you are given two scores - one for quality of written English (A-E) and one for quality of content (1-5). A5 is the best and your score will be the average of two markers' opinions (except in rare occasions when a third marker is called upon).

What Are The Dates and Costs?

The BMAT takes place this year on November 4. The costs are:

UK and EU: £44
Non-EU: £74

Late entrants pay an additional £31.50

Now, let's get into the fun stuff... can you prepare for section 3? Is this really GCSE level science? Should I even bother??

Scroll to see replies

I will apply in 2016 to hopefully enter in 2017 so I have to take BMAT in less than 2 months. What do I have to study especially fpr section 2? I'm an Italian student so I don't do GCSEs or A levels (I'm a bit confused about topics)
How to prepare for other sections?
Original post by Marina Stomeo
I will apply in 2016 to hopefully enter in 2017 so I have to take BMAT in less than 2 months. What do I have to study especially fpr section 2? I'm an Italian student so I don't do GCSEs or A levels (I'm a bit confused about topics)
How to prepare for other sections?

Hello Marina,

The BMAT which is going to take place this year (November 4th) has to be sat only for applicants who are going to entry in 2016, as is stated in http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/for-test-takers/bmat/scoring-and-results/:

Please note that BMAT results are only valid in the year that the test is taken and cannot be carried over to a re-application. Likewise, a candidate's score from one year will not affect their chances if re-applying in later years, as each application is considered afresh.

If you want to go to uni in 2017, you will have yo take the BMAT on November 2016 (you have actually a lot of time!).

I have been revising for the BMAT here: http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/for-test-takers/bmat/preparing-for-bmat. You have a lot of past papers for each section. Moreover, you can check the 'Assumed Subject Knowledge guide' to be sure you understand the contents and revise precisely for what is going to appear in the exam.
You saved my mental sanity. Thank you! :p:D:u:
Original post by LaytonProfessor
Hello Marina,

The BMAT which is going to take place this year (November 4th) has to be sat only for applicants who are going to entry in 2016, as is stated in http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/for-test-takers/bmat/scoring-and-results/:

If you want to go to uni in 2017, you will have yo take the BMAT on November 2016 (you have actually a lot of time!).

I have been revising for the BMAT here: http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/for-test-takers/bmat/preparing-for-bmat. You have a lot of past papers for each section. Moreover, you can check the 'Assumed Subject Knowledge guide' to be sure you understand the contents and revise precisely for what is going to appear in the exam.

Excellent advice. Beat us to it!!

How is your revision going Layton? Have you found the Assumed Subject Knowledge Guide helpful?
Original post by Marina Stomeo
You saved my mental sanity. Thank you! :p:D:u:
Glad to have helped you, Marina! Good luck! :tongue:

Original post by The Medic Portal
Excellent advice. Beat us to it!!

How is your revision going Layton? Have you found the Assumed Subject Knowledge Guide helpful?

Thank you!

I have the KAPLAN 2006 BMAT book and I have taken it a look, but recently I found the 'Assumed Knowledge Guide' and I am currently revising with it as I think it's more useful than the book. With this online tool I know exactly what is going to appear in the Section 2, so I don't have to worry for innecesary stuff.

On the other hand, I have been a little bit worried about my personal statement. Is it ok if I send you a PM to get some advice? Thank you.
Original post by LaytonProfessor
Glad to have helped you, Marina! Good luck! :tongue:

Thank you!

I have the KAPLAN 2006 BMAT book and I have taken it a look, but recently I found the 'Assumed Knowledge Guide' and I am currently revising with it as I think it's more useful than the book. With this online tool I know exactly what is going to appear in the Section 2, so I don't have to worry for innecesary stuff.

On the other hand, I have been a little bit worried about my personal statement. Is it ok if I send you a PM to get some advice? Thank you.

Of course you can! Since we work with thousands of students each year, we don't have the resources to read individual statements on TSR, but we are happy to give general pointers and answer questions :smile:
Hi,

I just wanted to ask what advice you would give to someone who doesn't have a science background at all, I haven't done sciences since GCSE's in 2006 but Leeds is my first choice for Medicine and I am willing to work at it. In your honest opinion do you feel that someone can learn all the content needed for Section 2 within the time we have left? If so, what strategy would you recommend?
Reply 8
Original post by stressedstudent19
Hi,

I just wanted to ask what advice you would give to someone who doesn't have a science background at all, I haven't done sciences since GCSE's in 2006 but Leeds is my first choice for Medicine and I am willing to work at it. In your honest opinion do you feel that someone can learn all the content needed for Section 2 within the time we have left? If so, what strategy would you recommend?

Honestly, I think at this stage you'd be pretty pushed for time to learn all the content needed. I'm Scottish so I didn't do GCSEs and I started a couple of weeks ago, finding it quite a lot of work to learn everything in the GCSE courses that wasn't in National 5 so trying to learn all the content from scratch will be even more difficult.
Reply 9
Is the assumed knowledge guide on the bmat website everything we need to know or do we also need to use other sources?

Just wondering as the online cgp has a shortened reactivity series so is that all we can be asked on or do i need to learn the full one?

cheers
Reply 10
the specification is soo large!! how are we suppose to go through the whole thing with only a month left!!!! how are you guys doing this??? HELPPPPP!!!
Original post by 12284
the specification is soo large!! how are we suppose to go through the whole thing with only a month left!!!! how are you guys doing this??? HELPPPPP!!!

Hey, I've only started my revision today since I spent most of my time revising for the UKCAT which I did on the 4th :/ I'm just going over mainly physics which I didn't do for A level and I'm starting with just section 2 questions right now. If I can do decent on section 2 and the essay hopefully it will make up for how poor I probably do in section 1:biggrin:
Hi, there are a lot of things in the 400Q section 2 biology Q's that are not in the required knowledge document or GCSE/AS biology. Is that because they are old Q's, or does the "required knowledge" document not cover everything?
Original post by Blue.Bird
Hi, there are a lot of things in the 400Q section 2 biology Q's that are not in the required knowledge document or GCSE/AS biology. Is that because they are old Q's, or does the "required knowledge" document not cover everything?

Hi there, Admissions Testing say on their website that some topics in previous practice papers are no longer examined. What they recommend is checking the Assumed Subject Knowledge Guide only studying topics if they appear in the guide! Hope this helps - good luck with your revision :smile:
Original post by Blue.Bird

I think the 700Q is an updated version of the 400Q, where they have replaced the questions no longer in the syllabus by new ones aligned with the syllabus
Original post by The Medic Portal
Hi there, Admissions Testing say on their website that some topics in previous practice papers are no longer examined. What they recommend is checking the Assumed Subject Knowledge Guide only studying topics if they appear in the guide! Hope this helps - good luck with your revision :smile:

Oh, that's great, thanks, can stop worrying about those bits then!
Reply 16
hello, please can someone explain the answer to question 10 on the bmat past paper 2013 section 1!!!! i dont understand why the answer is D!!!
Hello can someone please help me??
I'm trying to practise for the BMAT but it just feels so awkward. I feel really confident in sections 1 and 2 however when it comes to section 3, i feel as if i wont even achieve a score of 2. I would really appreciate if someone can please look at my essay and give me some feedback, no matter how harsh it is. I would be more than grateful with any feedback.

Thank you very much in advance.

Good surgeons should be encouraged to take on tough cases, not just safe, routine ones. publishing an individual surgeon's mortality rates may have the opposite effect.

Explain what this statement means. Argue to the contrary. To what extent do you think league tables should change a surgeon's behaviour?

The above statement implies that releasing a surgeons mortality rate may discourage many surgeons to take on difficult cases as they may either; not feel confident enough, or may wish to improve their mortality rate. An experienced surgeon who performs very difficult surgeries may have a lower mortality rate than a surgeon who performs very routine and easy surgeries. This can cause distrust in the experienced surgeon who may be better qualified than the surgeon performing the easier surgeries.

Whilst this may initially seem to be a rather thoughtful statement, it has many fundamental flaws. For instance, this statement only considers surgeons who are good but may have a low mortality rate due to performing more difficult surgeries. It does not consider that some surgeons may just not be good enough. Publishing mortality rates allows hospitals to reassess many surgeons with alarming mortality rates. Surgeons should only be permitted to perform life threatening surgeries if they are extremely good. Therefore having quantitative data to compare surgeons can be monumentally significant. Furthermore allowing mortality rates to be published allows for many surgeons to be recognised. This can increase morale and allow surgeons to feel more confident to take on the difficult surgeries.

In addition, I believe league tables based on mortality rate can attract and entice friendly competition within the field. It can cause surgeons to feel a need to be extra focused on their job at all times. Incentives, which can come in the form of financial or recognition, can further increase morale and encourage competition. Nevertheless, it can also cause disruption within the field and can cause team work to deteriorate. Moreover mortality rates may disadvantage better surgeons performing more difficult surgeries.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jason has 240 spruggles that he wanted to sells, so he rented a market stall for 2 days.
He set the price at £12 each, and was disappointed when he sold less than a quarter of them on the first day.

He decided that he would reduce the price by 25% for the second day.

On the second day he sold exactly twice as many, and took £342 more than the previous day, leaving him with less than one third of his original stock.

How many spruggles did Jason sell altogether during the two days?

A: 171 ... how?
Original post by Patrycja,o
Jason has 240 spruggles that he wanted to sells, so he rented a market stall for 2 days.
He set the price at £12 each, and was disappointed when he sold less than a quarter of them on the first day.

He decided that he would reduce the price by 25% for the second day.

On the second day he sold exactly twice as many, and took £342 more than the previous day, leaving him with less than one third of his original stock.

How many spruggles did Jason sell altogether during the two days?

A: 171 ... how?

Let X be the number sold on first day

1st day) 12 quid each
2nd day) 9 quid each but double sold

12x+342=18x 18x is from £9 multiplied from double sold on 2nd day
6x=342
x=57
3x=171 3x is total sold from 2days: X from day 1 and 2X from day 2
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending