The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Economic History 2016

Hi everyone!! Just wanted to see who else was applying to economic history to discuss grades, personal statement ideas, other unis you're applying to and so on!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by STUDENTSJ
Hi everyone!! Just wanted to see who else was applying to economic history to discuss grades, personal statement ideas, other unis you're applying to and so on!!

Been waiting for this thread! Basically no one seems to talk about this course. I, personally, am applying for Economics and Economic History, so I am just really hoping I get it because it would be amazing.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by OrionMusicNet
Been waiting for this thread! Basically no one seems to talk about this course. I, personally, am applying for Economics and Economic History, so I am just really hoping I get it because it would be amazing.

Right? Hahahaha I never see anyone talking about this on tsr. Wow!! I'm going to try for straight economic history. Are you taking a levels or ib? What subtjecs are you doing?:smile:
Right? Hahahaha I never see anyone talking about this on tsr. Wow!! I'm going to try for straight economic history. Are you taking a levels or ib? What subtjecs are you doing?:smile:

I am taking A levels, and I am doing Maths, Economics and Computing (I dropped chemistry). What about you?
Reply 4
I am taking A levels, and I am doing Maths, Economics and Computing (I dropped chemistry). What about you?

I'm doing the IB, HL economics, history and english literature and SL italian lang&lit (i'm italian), maths standard level and chemistry!
I'm doing the IB, HL economics, history and english literature and SL italian lang&lit (i'm italian), maths standard level and chemistry!

Ah alright, nice! Was there any reason in particular you really wanted to do Economic History?
Reply 6
Ah alright, nice! Was there any reason in particular you really wanted to do Economic History?

LSE has always been my dream uni and history is by far my favorite subject, then last year I went to visit LSE and understood the difference between the international history course and the economic history one, I found the latter to be much more interesting for me! Plus, I really enjoy economics and the evolution of theories so I thought it would be perfect for me. At this point I am so invested in the idea of studying economic history that I'd love to go there mainly for the course, since no other uni in the UK offers economic history except for scottish ones..
What about you?? Also, what other courses/unis are you applying to?
LSE has always been my dream uni and history is by far my favorite subject, then last year I went to visit LSE and understood the difference between the international history course and the economic history one, I found the latter to be much more interesting for me! Plus, I really enjoy economics and the evolution of theories so I thought it would be perfect for me. At this point I am so invested in the idea of studying economic history that I'd love to go there mainly for the course, since no other uni in the UK offers economic history except for scottish ones..
What about you?? Also, what other courses/unis are you applying to?

I originally wanted to do only Economics, but I couldn't because I didn't take further maths AS. I looked around afterwards though and I found 'Economics and Economic History' but I was a bit skeptical at first since I didn't know if I actually wanted to do Economic History. Looking further into it though, and looking at the modules and past papers (my sister's go to LSE so I had access), it actually looked really interesting, and I found myself really wanting to do the course. If other universities (that weren't in Scotland haha) offered the joint course, I would probably apply for it for all my options, but since that isn't possible I am just applying for straight Economics at other universities as I am happy to do either course (although I would ideally prefer LSE for both the uni and the course). The other universities I am applying for are: UCL, Warwick, Nottingham and maybe Surrey (not sure yet). What universities are you applying for?
Reply 8
I originally wanted to do only Economics, but I couldn't because I didn't take further maths AS. I looked around afterwards though and I found 'Economics and Economic History' but I was a bit skeptical at first since I didn't know if I actually wanted to do Economic History. Looking further into it though, and looking at the modules and past papers (my sister's go to LSE so I had access), it actually looked really interesting, and I found myself really wanting to do the course. If other universities (that weren't in Scotland haha) offered the joint course, I would probably apply for it for all my options, but since that isn't possible I am just applying for straight Economics at other universities as I am happy to do either course (although I would ideally prefer LSE for both the uni and the course). The other universities I am applying for are: UCL, Warwick, Nottingham and maybe Surrey (not sure yet). What universities are you applying for?

Also my sister will be going to LSE hahaha,she's starting in a week! Yeah I'm applying for history at the other unis
(edited 8 years ago)
Also my sister will be going to LSE hahaha,she's starting in a week! Yeah I'm applying for history at the other unis, which are Cambridge, Warwick, UCL and Kings. I guess that IF I did get into cambridge I would put it as a first choice because they have a great economic history department and cost-wise london is incredibly expensive.. but I would be equally happy if I got into LSE, since they are both amazing universities

Well from your paragraph saying why you wanted to study Economic History, I imagine you will get in as you are clearly passionate about the subject, so hopefully you can get into Cambridge, and if not them then LSE :biggrin:
Reply 10
Well from your paragraph saying why you wanted to study Economic History, I imagine you will get in as you are clearly passionate about the subject, so hopefully you can get into Cambridge, and if not them then LSE :biggrin:

I really hope so! Good luck for all your applications even though I think you might not need it, you seem very driven too!! Maybe we will meet at LSE next year (fingers crossed) :smile:
I really hope so! Good luck for all your applications even though I think you might not need it, you seem very driven too!! Maybe we will meet at LSE next year (fingers crossed) :smile:

Yeah, that would be awesome! Although I still hope you get your Cambridge offer haha.
Reply 12
Hey there - need some advice as you guys seem to know a lot about the department... I've just done my A-Levels this year in Economics, Sociology and Politics and got AAB... I fell in love with the Economic History course but not sure if this would be enough to get me in? I am working in the city for my gap year and came across this course last week. What do you think?
Original post by JGeza
Hey there - need some advice as you guys seem to know a lot about the department... I've just done my A-Levels this year in Economics, Sociology and Politics and got AAB... I fell in love with the Economic History course but not sure if this would be enough to get me in? I am working in the city for my gap year and came across this course last week. What do you think?

It's definitely worth a shot. The economic history open day admissions said they prioritise giving offers to those who express a genuine interest in the subject over those with A*s and As. As long as you meet their a level requirements (which you have), and your personal statement conveys a passion for the course, you've got a chance.
Reply 14
Original post by ChrisP97
It's definitely worth a shot. The economic history open day admissions said they prioritise giving offers to those who express a genuine interest in the subject over those with A*s and As. As long as you meet their a level requirements (which you have), and your personal statement conveys a passion for the course, you've got a chance.

Great thanks for the positive feedback! Are you applying as well? Oh that's good to hear! Not sure if I will be at a disadvantage though with my average GCSE's..l got A's and B's... But I guess ya never know *fingers crossed*
Original post by JGeza
Great thanks for the positive feedback! Are you applying as well? Oh that's good to hear! Not sure if I will be at a disadvantage though with my average GCSE's..l got A's and B's... But I guess ya never know *fingers crossed*

Hmm well i know someone who got into LSE econ & maths with C in English lit & lang, E in French and only 1A* at GCSE, so i definitely wouldn't let your GCSEs discourage you. Yeah i'm thinking of applying for econ & econ history, I re-sat year 12 tho so it'll be a bit of a gamble :/
Reply 16
Yeah, that would be awesome! Although I still hope you get your Cambridge offer haha.

haha decided not to apply to Cambridge in the end because after visiting it I feel like LSE would be the perfect place for me and I like the course much more than the history one at Cambridge so now I really really really want an offer for econ history!!!! did you already send your application?
haha decided not to apply to Cambridge in the end because after visiting it I feel like LSE would be the perfect place for me and I like the course much more than the history one at Cambridge so now I really really really want an offer for econ history!!!! did you already send your application?

No, but I am sending it pretty much a day or two after the oxbridge deadline. My personal statement has been complete for a few weeks now so I am just waiting to send it off. I really want to get an offer for my LSE course too, would be happy days for the rest of the year because you have an offer for a quality course with particularly achievable grades (relative a lot of other courses at top unis). What sort of stuff did they talk about at the Economic History talk by the way?
Reply 18

Reply 19
No, but I am sending it pretty much a day or two after the oxbridge deadline. My personal statement has been complete for a few weeks now so I am just waiting to send it off. I really want to get an offer for my LSE course too, would be happy days for the rest of the year because you have an offer for a quality course with particularly achievable grades (relative a lot of other courses at top unis). What sort of stuff did they talk about at the Economic History talk by the way?

So did you mention some of the books they suggested on the website? I read Growth Recurring by E.L Jones and it was very very interesting!! Sorry it wasn't very clear from the post that I went to visit Cambridge not LSE hahah, I went to visit LSE last year and will be going in October, but I haven't attended the open day so I don't know anything about the talk..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending