The Student Room Group

What did you struggle with when learning to drive?

Scroll to see replies

I've passed, and I found it all difficult. My extreme stubbornness was the only thing that allowed me to pass.
I found the the actual test the hardest , put a lot of pressure on myself ! Xox
Reply 22
Mainly just finding the flow

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think for me is coming off the clutch. I've done 4 hours so far in a manual and every now and again I go off the clutch too quick. Trying not to do that :redface: :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I find at slight hills, wether at a turning, roundabout etc, slowing down is worring. I dont want to roll back if I go to g1 and wait for other cars. I also dont want to handbrake if I have to go straight awya..probably not maknig any sense but its hills with slow moving traffic I dred.
Parallel parking definitely. I'm still not confident doing it tbh, I'd rather just find a car park.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Original post by ohhello92x
I think for me is coming off the clutch. I've done 4 hours so far in a manual and every now and again I go off the clutch too quick. Trying not to do that :redface: :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same issue with me. Setting off i tend to stall too often because i raise the clutch too quickly.
Anything involving going slowly uphill! Uphill junctions in particular or slow moving traffic on a hill. I live in the country side so we have many many hills :frown:
Original post by saeed97
Same issue with me. Setting off i tend to stall too often because i raise the clutch too quickly.

Yeah my last lesson I stalled like twice which was good :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lordyP
Anything involving going slowly uphill! Uphill junctions in particular or slow moving traffic on a hill. I live in the country side so we have many many hills :frown:

Thats what I was meant to say haha, not my bad explanation!
Original post by stoltguyboo
Reverse around a corner it's a damn nightmare.

I had this manovere on my test and it decided to tip down with rain just as I had to do it... I was quite far from the kerb and kept talking to myself about what I was doing wrong :P luckily I didn't get a minor or fail :smile:
Clutch control, reverse parking in crowded places (busy supermarkets)/parallel parking,

I've been driving with a full license for 2 years now and those things still aren't my forte. Clutch control is fine except on hills - I think I lost my confidence since my first car had a problem with the clutch so now I doubt myself even in my car which is fine. I avoid reverse parking - I find parking spaces that I can drive straight into and out of without reversing and if I know there's a very steep hill on my journey I take a different route. I've parallel parked once since I passed - I don't see the point in squeezing into a small space on a busy high street when I can drive 2 mins down the road to a car park with empty bays. Obviously there are times when I have to reverse park or do a hill start and I seem to manage okay except it takes me a bit of time, I have to concentrate more and I'm much more aware of what I'm doing whereas, all other aspects of my driving seem like second nature now.

Original post by Mumford & Dragons
I find at slight hills, wether at a turning, roundabout etc, slowing down is worring. I dont want to roll back if I go to g1 and wait for other cars. I also dont want to handbrake if I have to go straight awya..probably not maknig any sense but its hills with slow moving traffic I dred.

I'm exactly the same. It's times like that when I think 'an automatic would be easier' but then I get onto the flat roads and love driving a manual.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hill starts. Always rolling backwards lmao
Parking and reversing.
Haha same! When on slight hills.."I wish I had an automatic"..when on flat roads..."oh boy, manual cars are so fun!!" :P
Reverse round the corner.
I still can't do it and i hold a licence.
At first I really struggled with braking but I'm ok with that now, it was just practise and now it's not an issue at all.

Now though I struggle with turning tight corners (I kerb it like once a lesson!) and turning right into a junction, as in knowing when to take your chance or if someone lets me go I panic a bit! It's not coming naturally to me but I am getting better! My clutch control is ok but I could do with pressing the gas a bit more (except hill starts, I sometimes press it a bit much haha!)

I'm not sure how many lessons I've had but I don't think any more than 15 though.
Pushing others off the road was my greatest challenge. My instructor was bent upon making me understand it's wrong, and I was bent on getting my driver's license by shoving everyone off the road.
Note: Not to be confused with tailgating :biggrin:
Original post by charmedlassie
At first I really struggled with braking but I'm ok with that now, it was just practise and now it's not an issue at all.

Now though I struggle with turning tight corners (I kerb it like once a lesson!) and turning right into a junction, as in knowing when to take your chance or if someone lets me go I panic a bit! It's not coming naturally to me but I am getting better! My clutch control is ok but I could do with pressing the gas a bit more (except hill starts, I sometimes press it a bit much haha!)

I'm not sure how many lessons I've had but I don't think any more than 15 though.

Well I posted this ages ago. Still learning but booking my test very soon. I'm ok with everything now. The only issue I have is undue hesitation, I'm overly cautious and misjudge the speed of cars so tend to not pull out when there is plenty of time to do so :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending