The Student Room Group

Netherlands vs UK universities

Hi
I'm currently going through the application process preparation and I've had a last minute dilemma over choosing one of the countries.
I was wondering if there was anyone out there who could help me with figuring out some pros and cons, mostly socially (as I find it generally hard to make friends) and the educational side to it.
What I have already found out:
-Hardly any Dutch universities offer accommodation.
-The educational cost is clearly a lot cheaper than the UK.
-The Dutch seem to have a very good system.
-The Dutch system lets you go at the end of the year, if you do not pass.

Thanks (ahead if I do not get back to you on time)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Frankie97
Hi
I'm currently going through the application process preparation and I've had a last minute dilemma over choosing one of the countries.
I was wondering if there was anyone out there who could help me with figuring out some pros and cons, mostly socially (as I find it generally hard to make friends) and the educational side to it.

Hi Frankie,

I hope I can help! So to confirm you're having trouble deciding if the Netherlands is right for you to study? I hope the following information helps :smile:

1 - Check out Stexx.eu - it's a student review website which gives you a student perspective on the university and student life.
2 - Accommodation is separate to the university however every university does work with a housing organisation. Once you have your university place confirmed you'll be put in touch with the housing office (apply as early as possible to secure your housing.) We work with an organisation called SSHXL so you can get idea of what to expect.
3 - Yes the education is cheaper due to the Dutch government subsidising the system. The tuition increases by about 50 euros a year. You can get a loan from the government for your tuition fees via DUO. For finance to help you with your living you need to work 56 hours per month (which isn't recommended due to your study commitments) however it is possible to get part-time work.
4 - All universities have a binding study advice (BSA) which means you need to pass around 75% of your first year to proceed into the second. This figure can differ per university. You'll be monitored throughout the year via exams and assignments and if you're failing a module the university will let you know and provide additional support.

If you have any more questions please do not hesitate to get in touch! :smile:
University of Groningen,
Thank you very much for your help, it is very useful.
Reply 3
University of Groningen,
Thank you very much for your help, it is very useful.

Hi, I'm currently an LLM student at Utrecht University having just moved here last month from the UK. I did my bachelors at the University of Lincoln.

What would you like to know?
Hi
I think my biggest question would be about how easy/ hard it is to make friends baring in my mind most universities as most students (from the same year group) don't live together?
Reply 5
Hi
I think my biggest question would be about how easy/ hard it is to make friends baring in my mind most universities as most students (from the same year group) don't live together?

I live with SSHXL, mentioned by Groningen, on campus in a large building for international students either exchange, bachelors or masters. As soon as I arrived we spent the first week before our lectures started going for drinks etc.

As for your course the Dutch have an intense study culture. At UK universities they'll say spend 4 hours on each piece of seminar work but I only spent an hour really and in comparison to my work here I breezed through. So that means I do spend 9-5 at university which I suppose has hindered my ability to make friends. But I'm a masters student! The bachelors and exchange students in my building are always off to Amsterdam, Brussels, The Hague etc. having a great time.

Everyone on my course are pretty nice. I've naturally made friends with the native English speakers. You'll find the Dutch students are really nice but will obviously speak Dutch to their friends so it can be quite hard to get involved with their conversations.

I won't lie. It is scary when you arrive. I had a few weeks where I really wished I'd paid the extra to do my masters in the UK but it is getting better now that I've had more time to get to know the staff and make more friends.

Learn some conversational Dutch too by the way. Being British and naturally over polite I hate having to say to everyone sorry I don't speak Dutch.
thanks a lot
Its good to have some 1st hand advice
Reply 7
thanks a lot
Its good to have some 1st hand advice

You're welcome! I was fortunate enough to know someone who did the same course as me but at Leiden University so I had a general idea of what to expect.

Feel free to get in touch later on if you do apply and have any further questions.
One of the best things about Holland compared to a lot of other European countries is that nearly everyone speaks perfect English (and they all love practicing it!) and the Dutch themselves are really outgoing and friendly. Learning a bit of Dutch will help you understand what they are all talking about when they are not talking to you. Most Universities offer a quick Dutch course for foreign students so if you get the chance take it.
Hey

I’m an international business and marketing student in Glasgow, and was wondering if I could just ask you all a quick question for my dissertation:

When choosing to study at a UK University, what factors are most important in your decision?

Thanks!!
Reply 10
Original post by eloiseparry
Hey

I’m an international business and marketing student in Glasgow, and was wondering if I could just ask you all a quick question for my dissertation:

When choosing to study at a UK University, what factors are most important in your decision?

Thanks!!

Shouldn't Glasgow have you using an anonymous online survey system for empirical research like this?
Hello everyone. Im from pakistan and was considering universities in Netherland since they're cheaper than UK even for International students.

I would like to ask basic questions.

1) Should i go with Research universities ( where the undergrad is of 3 years ) or the Applied sciences universities ( 4 years undergrad ) ?

I am really confused among them but doing my own research i was more interested with Research universities since they are also in the QS ranking. ( Universities such as ' Delft university of technology , university of Amsterdam and uni of twenteu etc '
Furthermore , i would appreciate if some of the students who's currently studying there could guide me with accommodation expenses as well ? Considering these accommodation charges as well , which of the universities might be better for me to select.

For example , 3 years back my elder brother had the option to go for either University of Manchester and Kings college london but he decided to go for Manchester since it was cheaper with accommodations as well.

Kindly tell me , If there's any other thing which any student think i should be knowing before entering the university can mention here . I would really appreciate if someone could help me with all of my questions.

PS . I've previously passed 11 GCSE subjects and currently taking 4 Alevels.
The course i'm applying for is ' Computer science ' for bachelors.
Hey there , I am planning to apply for Leiden University for LLM course and I am from India. Wanted to know what percentage is required to enter the course and is Scotland better for this course. Also regarding cost of living which is cheaper.
I think it would be harder for you to make friends in the Netherlands than it would be for you in the UK, given that you don't speak dutch.
Reply 14
Original post by username1240340
Hi

Hi! Dutch universities are really good. I have no complains at all. There are some that offer accommodation and some that don't. But I used to rent apartment in Amsterdam through tranio. Just because it is really much better to have a place of your own or to rent it with your friends from university, more fun ))
Reply 15
Hi Pooja, I am planning something very similar. There is little content available for a Dutch LLM. Did you go through with the idea ?
Reply 16
Original post by 1775339
Hi, I'm currently an LLM student at Utrecht University having just moved here last month from the UK. I did my bachelors at the University of Lincoln.

Hi there, although this is an old post, I am myself considering an LLM from Utrecht in international law and economics. I am from India. Could you elaborate on your LLM experience and what prompted you go apply to Holland over your home UK? It would really help me out, thanks!
Hi there! I've got some questions if you dont mind.

May i ask if you plan to practice law in the uk after your masters in the netherlands? If so, could you give me a rough idea of how it'll work? I'm considering studying llb in the netherlands but am worried that I wont be able to apply for a masters/practice in an english speaking country (like the uk) after graduating. I was informed that to practice law in NL, i'll have to be fluent in dutch but am not confident i'll be able to manage that ultimately and would like to have a few more options where I can practice law with the llb.

That was a mouthful but it'll really help. Thanks in advance!
Original post by 1775339

Reply 18
Original post by Harshel
Hi there, although this is an old post, I am myself considering an LLM from Utrecht in international law and economics. I am from India. Could you elaborate on your LLM experience and what prompted you go apply to Holland over your home UK? It would really help me out, thanks!

I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Utrecht although it’s been a few years now since I studied there. I decided to go there because of cost. For EU students the tutition fees are far lower compared to UK institutions. That being said I received a number of advantages over UK LLMs. I was able to participate in a number of extra curriculars like editing a journal, doing a research project for a client, and Utrecht paid for me to attend a one week course overseas with one of my professors. These were things that are much rarer in the UK.
Reply 19
Original post by cacademic
Hi there! I've got some questions if you dont mind.

May i ask if you plan to practice law in the uk after your masters in the netherlands? If so, could you give me a rough idea of how it'll work? I'm considering studying llb in the netherlands but am worried that I wont be able to apply for a masters/practice in an english speaking country (like the uk) after graduating. I was informed that to practice law in NL, i'll have to be fluent in dutch but am not confident i'll be able to manage that ultimately and would like to have a few more options where I can practice law with the llb.

That was a mouthful but it'll really help. Thanks in advance!

I graduated in 2016 so it’s been a little while. I’m now nearing the end of my PhD and lecture at a UK university so no I never intended to practice law in the UK. If you wish to practice in the UK you need a qualifying law degree (QLD) followed by the LPC (soon to be replaced by the SQE) or the BPTC depending on whether you want to be a solicitor or barrister.

I’m assuming you would need to do what’s called the GDL which is essentially a one year crash course that counts as a qualifying law degree - it is only for graduates with other degrees who wish to pursue a legal career. There is no need to do an LLM to practice law in the UK, unlike the Netherlands where they all do LLMs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending