The Student Room Group

English Lang CA help needed

My controlled assessment is based upon writing about the poem 'My last Duchess'. You have to write a story from the duchess's point of view and I have no idea of what would be a top response
Reply 1
This is an easy question. Here are some ideas in broad strokes.

The poem is from the Duke's perspective, however it is clear this has been a very difficult marriage for him. The Duke is used to someone who will obey him in every way - and it is clear that on many occasions the Duchess never did that.

One of the most important aspects to behaviour - as far as the Duke is concerned - is being reserved and maintaining social position. The character of the Duchess - as described by the Duke - is a very open and friendly person. She is the epitome of everything he dislikes.

In addition to that, the Duchess has had the temerity of answering back to him. I doubt many have ever done that and it would be interesting to think what sort of effect would have on him.

The poem suggests that the Duke has approached her on many occasions and she has taken little notice.

However the conversation the Duke has with the Count's Emissary is likely to have been given also to her:- i.e. what the Duke expects in a Duchess. She must therefore know that she is living very dangerously to do what she does - even if in this time and age what she does is normal.

You also the the portrait being painted. Apart from why it was painted at all, it is clear that Fra Pandolf was a very genial person and got on well with the Duchess. His compliments to the Duchess clearly infuriated the Duke.

The only issue that will need some thinking about is whether the Duchess was ever aware of the danger she was in. The showing of the portrait to the Count's Emissary was a very clear signal of what the Duke expected and what would happen if his wishes were not followed. So when the Duchess acted as she did, was she being extremely foolish or did she not believe the implied thread that had been made.

Also - worth thinking about - why did she marry the Duke? The poem makes clear that the Duchess has a mind of her own, so why did she agree to marry. We know why the Duke married her: he was going to get a massive dowry. Did her family give her a choice. After all being related to the Duke of Ferrara was major political climb up the ladder.

As I say this is broad strokes, but you should be able to work it out from that.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest