The Student Room Group

Is BCS accrediation important?

for computer science as well as ranking?
Original post by UghDecisions
for computer science as well as ranking?

As far as I'm aware BCS accreditation is pretty common with a lot of places. Though I wouldn't say it's all that big. The university I attend is accredited with BCS. As for myself, registered with IEEE.
Original post by Binary Freak
As far as I'm aware BCS accreditation is pretty common with a lot of places. Though I wouldn't say it's all that big. The university I attend is accredited with BCS. As for myself, registered with IEEE.

Thanks for your reply! i have been trying to come up with a decision on what university to pick, one is bcs accredited and 44th ranked for computer science whereas the other one is 76 th ranked for computer science and isnt bcs accredited. The reason why i am reluctant to go to the higher ranked one is because i doubt my capabilities and i am not sure if i can cope with the workload and i dont know what the computer science exams are like. Whereas the other university has barely got any exams and in truthfulness is a lot easier.

So if a person who created apps in their own time and prgrams with plenty of experience and a 1st or a 2:1 from a low-ish ranking university of 76 that isnt bcs accredited applied for a job and was competing against a graduate who had a bit of work experience and either had a 1st, 2:1, 2:2 from a 44th ranked university bcs accredited who would be more likely to land that job? Would it be the former?
Original post by UghDecisions
Thanks for your reply! i have been trying to come up with a decision on what university to pick, one is bcs accredited and 44th ranked for computer science whereas the other one is 76 th ranked for computer science and isnt bcs accredited. The reason why i am reluctant to go to the higher ranked one is because i doubt my capabilities and i am not sure if i can cope with the workload and i dont know what the computer science exams are like. Whereas the other university has barely got any exams and in truthfulness is a lot easier.

So if a person who created apps in their own time and prgrams with plenty of experience and a 1st or a 2:1 from a low-ish ranking university of 76 that isnt bcs accredited applied for a job and was competing against a graduate who had a bit of work experience and either had a 1st, 2:1, 2:2 from a 44th ranked university bcs accredited who would be more likely to land that job? Would it be the former?

To an extent, whether the university is accredited or not means little rigour, with accreditation the uni really gets marktability, access to industry reports, research and data. Suppose you get an accredited degree. Maybe some networking contacts. But even now LinkedIn would suffice for networking. If I had to be brutally honest with my opinion about BCS it's pretty much pointless now-a-days. Even the membership alone is worthless, sure you get acess to a wide variety of publications but even then a lot of them are completely unecessary for UG level. For membership count they boast a very meager 82,000 which accounts for probably around 12% of the IT workforce (I use IT very loosely - I know some members have a problem with something being called I.T, or considered so)

Wouldn't really like to comment on the second half, might be worth checking out some information on that. I'm not one of these people that'll comment on something I have no experience on (Unlike certain individuals here). For most of the information you can find it on unistats.direct.gov.uk

Just out of curiousity, which universities did you have in mind? I know some of the lower ranked universities have some noteworthy links with employers, and good industrial years (Notably: Staffordshire, and BCU).

Might be worth pointing out that a majority of the mid-lower ranked universities, but the actual content you come across probably won't differ so much. Just mostly student satisfaction and research standards. At least in my experience at the uni I'm attending has some good content, but the standard for some, or most of the students is somewhat lacking.

For the most part, a 1st anywhere would pretty much put you in a good position for interviews - Awaiting for a dumb response to this from some hot headed academics/scholars.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending