The Student Room Group

Grades and University Application

Hi all,

My younger sister received her A-Level results this summer and is taking a gap year this year, which means that she is applying to university this winter knowing her grades.

She came out of her A-Levels with an A* in English Literature, an A* in RS, a C in History, a B in English Language AS and a B in Critical Thinking. She also has 8 A*s at GCSE, 2As and a B.

As I currently understand, she's planning to apply to universities with asking grades of AAA to AAB for various comparative literature courses. I know that she is definitely applying to St. Andrews for Persian and English Literature, which has a typical entry requirement of AAA.

My concern is that her grades might not be strong enough for an AAA course. Would a A*A*C student stand a chance when applying for a course like this (her C worries me, especially)? Or should she be "aiming lower"?

Obviously, I know that what makes a strong candidate is pretty subjective, but any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated as my own application to university was pretty straightforward as I literally had the asking grades of my uni (Warwick). I would really just like to see someone else's perspective on her as a candidate.

Thanks!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Cruqz
Hi all,

My younger sister received her A-Level results this summer and is taking a gap year this year, which means that she is applying to university this winter knowing her grades.

She came out of her A-Levels with an A* in English Literature, an A* in RS, a C in History, a B in English Language AS and a B in Critical Thinking. She also has 8 A*s at GCSE, 2As and a B.

As I currently understand, she's planning to apply to universities with asking grades of AAA to AAB for various comparative literature courses. I know that she is definitely applying to St. Andrews for Persian and English Literature, which has a typical entry requirement of AAA.

My concern is that her grades might not be strong enough for an AAA course. Would a A*A*C student stand a chance when applying for a course like this (her C worries me, especially)? Or should she be "aiming lower"?

Obviously, I know that what makes a strong candidate is pretty subjective, but any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated as my own application to university was pretty straightforward as I literally had the asking grades of my uni (Warwick). I would really just like to see someone else's perspective on her as a candidate.

Thanks!

The short answer is that it may hold her back for some courses and not for others and the only way to find out is to contact the universities directly and ask. She will be in a good position as she has her grades in hand and the universities are much more likely to be able to give accurate answers than if these were predictions. I can't see there being all that many applicants for Persian and English joint honours, so that will certainly be in her favour.
Reply 2
the fact she already has her grades may play in the favour as unis know she already has the ability,
she could look into resitting one of her history units to try boost her grade possibly?
however, if unis deal in ucas points then A*A*C is the same as AAA in ucas points, so that might not be effected
obviously its hard to tell and really depends on the uni but i would suggest she applies to a couple unis with lower entry requirements as a backup

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending