The Student Room Group
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website

Commuting to UH /Hatfield Station Upgrade /Evening/Sunday Bus Cuts since Aug 2015.

:frown: Following on from the start of the UH year back in Sept. which coincided with the major cuts and reductions to many of the bus services that took place then and did so yet again from the 27th March 2016, it is time to update this thread for those of you either commuting to the UH or travelling to and from the likes of Hatfield station.

Hatfield rail station rebuilding with the associated bus interchange is complete and was formally opened by the local dignitaries and HCC officials a couple or so months ago.

For weekday onward travel to the UH, buses UNO 602 and 653 are the most frequent,every 30 and 20 mins frequency weekdays, interworked, followed by the Arriva 300/ 301 ( which does not call at The Forum, nearest stop Galleria, then The Comet opposite front of de Hav) every 15mins weekdays. Note, for de Hav, the 653 still goes circular first via South Hatfield, adding another 10-15 or so minutes on to the ride, while since the timetable changes back in August/Sept. the 602 misses out looping via South Hatfield, except for Sundays/ Bank Holidays and the now almost non existent evening service. This has been reduced since the August/Sept cuts to two buses only to Watford and back via South Hatfield, and the two campuses at 19.20 & 21.20 from the station; with only one at 19.09 Sundays/B.hols. Before the cuts, the evening 602 service was every 30 mins Mon-Sats term time.

Other buses from the station for UH commuters are the less frequent UNO 341/641, the Arriva Greenline limited stop 724 ( note this calls at The Galleria and Ellenbrook Lane for de Hav, not The Comet).

There is also the UNO 607 to and from de Hav (reduced from every 20 mins all weekdays to 35-40 mins peak times, 30 mins Mon-Sats days), which from the station goes via the town centre, right turning away from the other mainstream routes at the Swimming Pool, to The Premier Inn/Airfield Motel, Garden Villages, Business Park and Salisbury Village where a lot of students reside.

Since the March `16 timetable reductions / changes the whole remaining but reduced service will stop in the main de Hav bus interchange by The Sports Village, missing out the Park House/ Travel Lodge on the return stopping instead by the new Weatherspoons pub (Harpsfield Hall) a short walk away in Comet Way. Leaving at xx 05 and xx 35 past each hour from station stop 4 the 30 minute frequency of service 607 service connects well with the incoming semi- fast trains from both London and the likes of Stevenage, journey time to de Hav from the main bus interchange around 15- 20mins, 10-13 mins from the campus to the town/station.

I say when in conversation with students either at the station or returning with shopping at The Gracemead House stop opposite the library in the town centre, that are going to de Hav, use the following as a rule of thumb: if you have more than 20 or so mins to wait for the likes of a 341/641, 602, 653 and you see a 607 within the next few minutes or about to depart get on that, as although it goes circular via the Business Park and Salisbury Village, and takes between 15- 20 mins. depending on traffic and time of day, this is still a quicker option than waiting 20-30 or so mins. for a more directly routed bus.

Out of interest, booked timetable journey times from the rail station to de Hav are 21mins for the 602: for the 607 17mins: & 653 24mins. From de Hav to the station the 602 is17mins :607 10mins: 653 25mins. So as you can see, the 607 is a useful but it seems little known about alternative by the students. It arrives /departs at xx 22 & xx 52 mins past each hour from stop R at the de Hav bus interchange ( same stop as the inter-campus shuttle.)

The very useful evening service which ran at 30 min intervals until the last departure at 23.05 from the station has been withdrawn, as has the complete Sunday and Bank Holiday service. Just as the later evening service was really taking off again after the difficult and user unfriendly set up during station re building, it is cut. Last 607 from the station now 19.40 Mon-Sats only, instead of half hourly until 23.05.

On a similar note, for those of you that use the UNO 601 ( St. Albans- Welwyn Garden City via de Hav and Hatfield Business Park ) this is now fully commercially operated instead of HCC supported as previously, with consequent withdrawal of the later evening service.

For those commuting in from North London, the 614/644 still stays, but the 644 is cut short to Queensbury and not Wembley with the last two Saturday journeys withdrawn.

The 615 to and from Stanmore underground has unfortunately due to the HCC funding cuts been reduced to peak hours only Monday- Friday.

The Hatfield station - Business Park Mon- Fri peak hours only shuttle 650 that since last Sept was diverted to include de Hav has been totally cut, the sister 600 station - Business Park shuttle that serves The Fielder Centre still runs with the last evening service now earlier from the station at 17.58.

The reinstated Greenline 797 ( Greenline is just a brand name by the way, used by all companies that run the Greenline services first started by London Transport during the Metroland years before the war) London service run by UNO since March 2015 is cut completely except for one return journey only Hatfield - London ( Baker St.) during the morning and evening peak time. To compensate for the loss of the 797 Hatfield - Hitchin- Hatfield section, the 635 that used to run to and from Baldock will be reinstated from Hitchin to Hatfield and return, continuing on from Hatfield to Watford and back to make up for the 622 ( Hatfield -Watford- & return) which is being totally withdrawn.

In a similar vein, the UNO 636 (Hatfield station- Luton & return) is also to be withdrawn completely, but the UNO 610 ( Enfield /Potters Bar-Hatfield-& return) is to be re-routed via Cockfosters Underground for students who wish to use that alternative and will continue on to Luton and return to make up for the loss of the 636. Note: the 610 travels via the Oxlease Travellers` Lane /Woods Avenue area of South Hatfield and the town centre and does not call at Hatfield rail station.

Definitive information regarding the service reductions / timetable changes can be seen on www.unobus.info news /service changes for UNO services : www.intalink.org.uk / news/ service changes / which is the Hertfordshire County Council site for all Hertfordshire bus service changes and other information such as mobile ticketing, and www.save-our-buses.org.uk for Hertfordshire service cuts and comments. With regard to fares, UNO still have the £1 Hatfield fare for UH students/staff, but Arriva as of 01 Dec have stopped their special UH student/staff tariff.

Hertfordshire County Council have cut a total of £1.471 million off the later weekday evenings and Sunday supported bus budget ( these are the services that are not run as stand alone profit ones by the bus companies themselves, which by implication means the busiest routes and times of day to achieve maximum profit, but those run under contract to HCC by the likes of UNO & Arriva which were considered socially necessary, of which previously central government gave local authorities financial support ). £858,000 of the total has been cut as from this Sept, with £613,000 as from March/ April 2016.

One last thing: One of the UNO drivers I know mentioned that while in conversation with one of the mini-cab controllers he knows, indicated there is a strong possibility the cheap fixed tariff will be stopped on Sunday evenings - the very time many of the students are returning from weekend leave and need a bus back to camp.

This has already happened in St Albans with the loss of most of the Sunday evening in-town circular bus services. So exactly what I and others predicted would happen: with no bus, and having gained the monopoly, no cheap mini-cab fares either.

Comments welcome.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by UnclePete
:smile: With the new term starting on Monday( 28th Sept) just an update for those of you using Hatfield rail station either for commuting or for leisure while at UH:

As many of you will have noted, the station rebuilding with associated roadworks is still ongoing - the last I heard is that the new bus/taxi interchange outside the station will be completed on 16th Oct. Like most local residents however, I`m somewhat cynical about this as the finishing date has been put back at least three times in the last year or so: we shall see !

Given a rule of thumb, westbound buses ( in the direction of the Galleria, Comet, St Albans & beyond) are stopping at the temporary stop on the opposite side of the road to and about 200 odd metres from the station exit/entry. The exceptions to this are the UNO 602, to Watford via the two campuses, which stops at the temporary north/east bound ( to Welwyn, Stevenage, Hertford ) stop on the station side of the road a much shorter distance from the ticket hall, and the Business Park peak hours shuttle 650, which since the timetable changes at the start of Sept now calls in at de Hav. Also the circular UNO 607, which is now the only 30min frequency of service evenings and Saturdays to the back of de Hav (days) and into the bus interchange by the Sports Village ( Mon- Sat evenings) . The short lived 695 student shuttle (rail station- Forum only & return peak hours) has been discontinued.

For onward travel to the UH, buses UNO 602 and 653 are the most frequent,(every 30and 20 mins frequency weekdays, interworked ) followed by the Arriva 300/ 301 every 15mins weekdays. Note, for de Hav, the 653 still goes circular first via South Hatfield, after calling in at The Forum, adding another 15 or so minutes on to the ride, while since the timetable changes in August the 602 misses out South Hatfield except for Sundays/ Bank Holidays and the now almost non existent evening service ( this has been reduced since the August cuts to two buses only to Watford and back via South Hatfield, and the two campuses at 19.20 & 21.20 off the station; and only one at 19.09 Sundays/Bhol. Before the cuts, the evening 602 service was every 30mins Mon-Sats term time.

Oohh this is awesome! Thanks, I was thinking about this actually but good thing I drive :mmm:

@Roving Fish Can we have this as a sticky for now please? :woo:
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Oohh this is awesome! Thanks, I was thinking about this actually but good thing I drive :mmm:

@Roving Fish Can we have this as a sticky for now please? :woo:

Done :h:
Reply 3
Original post by Roving Fish

Please do - note however I have updated/ added to my original post- please use this one.
Please do - note however I have updated/ added to my original post- please use this one.

Hiya,

I'm not sure what you mean? I've stuck the whole thread to the top of the forum - is there another thread? :confused:
Original post by Roving Fish

Thank you (:

It's a sticky, so you can update it however many times you like it will still remain the same thread (with your changes) at the top of the Hertfordshire forum :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Thank you (:

It's a sticky, so you can update it however many times you like it will still remain the same thread (with your changes) at the top of the Hertfordshire forum :smile:

I had to break off and log out for a short while doing my original post this a.m. before adding to and completing it- during which time LP had replied including my original post. I see what you mean - my updated and original with additions is showing at the top of the UH forum.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending