The Student Room Group

PGCE vs Schools Direct - Funding Q ?

PGCE/Schools Direct Q Please can someone help :-)I want to be a Primary School Teacher…and deffo want a PGCEas this seems the most widely recognised….I would be starting in Sept 2016 notthis coming term!
I was initially planning to do a PGCE alone, and would beentitled to my maintenance loan and grant plus a bursary.
HOWEVER
I have since found out I have TWO other options where I cangain QTS Via Schools Direct & choose the option to do my PGCE bolted onaswell. THEN I found out…they do a Salaried Route plus an Unsalariedroute…my question is…
Schools Direct Unsalaried am I entitled to the same as ifI were to do my PGCE; so my maintenance loan and grant plus a bursary?Schools Direct Salaried I gather I do not get mymaintenance loan and grant, but would I still get a bursary? Is there a set ‘salary’(or a bottom end to work from) for this just to help me work things out?Just trying to weigh up my options and also decide whichwill enable me to be most financially stable. x
Original post by Livi1605
PGCE/Schools Direct Q Please can someone help :-)I want to be a Primary School Teacher…and deffo want a PGCEas this seems the most widely recognised….I would be starting in Sept 2016 notthis coming term!
I was initially planning to do a PGCE alone, and would beentitled to my maintenance loan and grant plus a bursary.
HOWEVER
I have since found out I have TWO other options where I cangain QTS Via Schools Direct & choose the option to do my PGCE bolted onaswell. THEN I found out…they do a Salaried Route plus an Unsalariedroute…my question is…
Schools Direct Unsalaried am I entitled to the same as ifI were to do my PGCE; so my maintenance loan and grant plus a bursary?Schools Direct Salaried I gather I do not get mymaintenance loan and grant, but would I still get a bursary? Is there a set ‘salary’(or a bottom end to work from) for this just to help me work things out?Just trying to weigh up my options and also decide whichwill enable me to be most financially stable. x

No you wouldn't get a bursary on the salaried scheme. the salary will be on the unqualified teacher scale, so at the bottom end of the scale it'd be around 16,298 to 20,496 depending on location (inner London highest). However, not all SDS give you a PGCE (or some will charge extra) so do check with individual providers.

unsalaried SD will be like a normal PGCE in terms of funding (student loan, grants and bursary). If you can get the higher bursary the package may work out better than the salaried scheme (when you have to pay tax). I have children and my childcare grant is more generous than tax credit.
Original post by Livi1605
HOWEVER

I agree with hana, but just to add that you need to have 3 years in employment to be entitled for the Salaried route. Thought I would mention that just in case you weren't aware.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending