The Student Room Group

"Sexy Plus Size Model Stuns on Catwalk" How is this acceptable?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheCitizenAct
You're right, I am disregarding your argument because for the umpteenth time, it's all about you and your feelings. Like it or not, obesity is not an acceptable life choice, being fat is something to be ashamed of.

I know this isn't what they teach you in politically correct group think seminars, however anyone with any capacity to think rationally (i.e., someone who doesn't prioritise their feelings above all else) knows this is the case.

While telling me how terrible my argument is, I also noticed you haven't forwarded one of your own of even sought to challenge it. All you've done is - surprise, surprise - tell me how you feel.

Anyone else spotting a recurring theme here? Feelings, feelings, feelings.

I'm listening, and waiting for your grand solution, where is it? I've never claimed to have the answer, you have - tell me so I can act on your logic. You're so confident in your stance, give me the solution.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by EllainKahlo
I'm listening, and waiting for your grand solution, where is it? I've never claimed to have the answer, you have - tell me so I can act on your logic. You're so confident in your stance, give me the solution.

I already have.

1. Fat people should continue to feel ashamed of themselves.
2. Obesity is not an acceptable life choice.
3. Feelings are not an acceptable argument to justify your desire to live an unhealthy lifestyle. It sure as hell isn't a justification to persuade young women that obesity is acceptable if their feelings happen to be hurt.
I already have.

3. Feelings are not an acceptable argument to justify your desire to live an unhealthy lifestyle. It sure as hell isn't a justification to persuade young women that obesity is acceptable if their feelings happen to be hurt.

Even fat people whose weight are down to psychological and physical ailments that they did not choose? Okay, logical. What about extremely thin people, should they be shamed for their weight too? If you say it's logical, I'm sure it is, as we have to follow the same logic for everyone, right? :u:
Even fat people whose weight are down to psychological and physical ailments that they did not choose? Okay, logical. What about extremely thin people, should they be shamed for their weight too? If you say it's logical, I'm sure it is, as we have to follow the same logic for everyone, right? :u:

Sure, go nuts.
Sure, go nuts.

Thank you for enlightening me. Appreciate it. I don't know where I'd be without your help.
Thank you for enlightening me. Appreciate it.

Well done for retreating to the refuge otherwise known as sarcasm to disguise the fact the only point you have is 'my feelings are hurt.'

n.b. no problem.
(edited 8 years ago)
Well done for resorting to the refuge otherwise known as sarcasm to disguise the fact the only point you have is 'my feelings are hurt.'

n.b. no problem.

You're welcome, I'm really glad I could help. We should do this again sometime.
I already have.

Some people have medical issues or are on medication which causes them to gain weight, would you say that your argument still stands?

I knew a girl who was about 6 years younger than me, and she had a condition which made her tissues swell, causing her to 'swell up' (I'm not quite sure what the word is) but she appeared to be VERY overweight even though she was really healthy and did a lot of exercise. Do you think it would be right for people to fat shame her despite them not knowing about anything that is going on in her life or her background? I hope the answer is no.

Of course plus size people should be thoroughly encouraged to try and deal with their weight, and if there is no proof of the attempt to improve their current lifestyle and body then they shouldn't be allowed to ask for fast track methods which will allow them to lose weight e.g. gastric bands. However, some people cannot control their weight.
Original post by thecatwithnohat
Some people have medical issues or are on medication which causes them to gain weight, would you say that your argument still stands?

I knew a girl who was about 6 years younger than me, and she had a condition which made her tissues swell, causing her to 'swell up' (I'm not quite sure what the word is) but she appeared to be VERY overweight even though she was really healthy and did a lot of exercise. Do you think it would be right for people to fat shame her despite them not knowing about anything that is going on in her life or her background? I hope the answer is no.

Of course plus size people should thoroughly be encouraged to try and deal with their weight, and if there is no proof of the attempt to improve their current lifestyle and body then they shouldn't be allowed to ask for fast track methods which will allow them to lose weight e.g. gastric bands. However, some people cannot control their weight.

Are you honestly sitting there and arguing that the vast majority of obese people have a medical condition which served as a catalyst for their obesity?

I doubt it. Sure, medical conditions exist but most people are just fat, lazy slobs with no inclination to put any effort in to altering their lifestyle and oh so eager to chastise society for their lack of self-esteem and self control.

What's worse, they become so comfortable in their slovenly and gluttonous existence that they want to re-define it as the 'new normal' and persuade young girls that obesity is an acceptable life choice, simply because it allows them to tuck into another tub of Ben and Jerry's and ignore all of their piss poor life decisions.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by Drunk Punx
There's a difference between being overweight and being obese, and size 16 is definitely not the latter.

There's nothing wrong with having a bit of fat so long as it's not having an adverse effect on your health, so I don't see why the fashion industry should sink to your level of childish condemnation and ostracisation of people who have a dress size that's anything other than 8-10.

For a lot of people, size 16 is definitely obese.

My sister was informed by her doctor that she was technically obese, when she was a size 16.

If I was a size 16, I'd most definitely be obese.

In most cases being big does have an adverse effect on health. It's not childish to not want to enforce the second biggest burden on the NHS, it's logic.
Clothing size does not necessarily account for being overweight for two major reasons: clothing cut does not suit everyone's body proportions, and clothing sizes are not consistent.

Case in point: the girl who has really big boobs and is forced to wear size 16 tops to accommodate them compared to her size 12 bottoms... or go into topshop and buy a pair of trousers which are 2 sizes bigger than the normal sizing because topshop's sizing is out of whack. There you are banning two completely different people because of their clothing size not because of how overweight they are.
how is she largely overweight hahahhahahasa
Are you honestly sitting there and arguing that the vast majority of obese people have a medical condition which served as a catalyst for their obesity?

I doubt it. Sure, medical conditions exist but most people are just fat, lazy slobs with no inclination to put any effort in to altering their lifestyle and oh so eager to chastise society for their lack of self-esteem and self control.

What's worse, they become so comfortable in their sloth-like existence that they want to re-define it as the 'new normal' and persuade young girls that obesity is an acceptable life choice, simply because it allows them to tuck into another tub of Ben and Jerry's and ignore all of their piss poor life decisions.

I said some. Did you see majority written somewhere? If so, you'll need to get some things checked. :yep:

I agree that obesity should be tackled, and excuses other than medical reasons should be dismissed.
I said some. Did you see majority written somewhere? If so, you'll need to get some things checked. :yep:

I agree that obesity should be tackled, and excuses other than medical reasons should be dismissed.

I exaggerated because you exaggerated. 'Some' is an exaggeration in relation to a 'tiny minority.'

A 'tiny minority' of people have medical conditions which serve as a catalyst for obesity. The rest just lack self esteem and self control and there's one positive about obesity: it serves to highlight their innate weakness and deficient coping skills.

Darwin will see to the rest.

What's worse, they become so comfortable in their slovenly and gluttonous existence that they want to re-define it as the 'new normal' and persuade young girls that obesity is an acceptable life choice, simply because it allows them to tuck into another tub of Ben and Jerry's and ignore all of their piss poor life decisions.

Why do you even care so much about other people's life choices?
And don't say that it personally affects you in any more than a mildly inconvenient way, because it does not.
In response to the article, the fashion industry have no obligation to try to promote anything- but they should cater to the largest markets, they would be foolish not to.
As much as you may disagree with it, obesity is happening, people still need clothes, and just because one may be fatter than average, for whatever reason, doesn't mean they shouldn't be represented and marketed towards.
Reply 35
People need to stop expecting HEALTH to be a subject of FASHION. These two have nothing in common. Yes, people are being influenced and it's a real issue that needs to be adressed but you can't tell the people in the fashion industry to promote healthy lifestyles because it's not their problem.
Wow, what a lot of...feelings and no logic.

No-one cares if you're fat, just don't go around telling other people it's OK to be fat because you lack self esteem in your appearance.

It has nothing to do with societal expectations, I couldn't care if you choose to increase your risk of contracting diabetes, or heart disease, that's your choice. Just don't give other girls the impression it's acceptable because you can't stand depriving yourself of a chick flick accompanied by a tub of Ben and Jerry's.

I find this comment both uneducated and frankly quite laughable. You're assuming that all over weight women are the weight they are due to lifestyle choices such as, I quote, eating tubs of 'Ben and Jerry's'. Have you never heard of the dozens of medical disorders that actually cause people to gain weight, hypothyroidism and PCOS to name a few. Before you decide to start 'fat shaming' id suggest
you research some facts so to not make yourself look like an illiterate ****.
Reply 37
Original post by cristinaprados
Ok i joined like 5 minutes ago so I don't really know what I'm doing but anyway:

saying that people of a bigger size should be banned from the fashion industry is absolutely disgusting and so disrespectful and rude.

saying that it is wrong of the media to promote such an 'un-healthy size' is really stupid?? women and girls that are bigger or do not meet society's expectations of perfect or whatever are never praised or told their bodies are beautiful so having 'plus-size' models on catwalks and in the media and fashion industry is probably a real confidence booster for some people. And did you know that thin people / people that look like healthy can actually be rotting from the inside, for example a slim person could eat loads of junk food everyday but have a fast metabolism. meanwhile their teeth are decaying and their arteries becoming clogged (I'm not good at science so I don't know if it's the arteries that get clogged with fat or something but whatever).

saying that girls aspire to be 'normal' is really hurtful and your post is making me really angry. girls aspire to be whatever they want??? yes, girls probably don't force themselves to put on weight to look like a 'plus size model' but saying that any other body type apart from slim or whatever society deems as 'normal' is just???? its just stupid and rude and it was really ignorant of you to post this. girls can aspire to be whatever they want so do NOT tell us what we do and don't aspire to be. is it okay then for the girls who throw up their dinner and starve themselves to aspire to be the stick thin models the media is constantly shoving down our throats?

With regards to your last paragraph, did you even read my initial post? Please re-read, and come back.
Original post by cristinaprados
women and girls that are bigger or do not meet society's expectations of perfect or whatever are never praised or told their bodies are beautiful so having 'plus-size' models on catwalks and in the media and fashion industry is probably a real confidence booster for some people.

Well of course, because their bodies simply aren't beautiful. I would imagine fashion being what it is, it's all about image, and generally people aim for beauty over other things. Also..

People shouldn't have to spend their entire lives feeling as though, if I'm not between "x and y" I'm not acceptable and I shouldn't be allowed to leave the house or that would be 'promoting my lifestyle/weight." to others..

Indeed. On the other hand, the fix is for these people to grow up rather than cause all this fuss. If you determine your feelings of self-worth, esteem, confidence, self-respect etc. from how beautiful other people perceive you, then you're just as shallow as the people who judge based on appearance - after all, the problem would be that you don't judge well to your own eyes. Body acceptance comes from yourself and yourself only; only the weak-minded need media to provide validation. Even then, it's not true acceptance - it's just "I'm ok with it because at least it's what people like", regardless of whether the person likes it themselves.

Well yeah, but the issue is in standards of beauty. You get people who have disfiguring conditions, and nobody is going to be calling them aesthetically beautiful. It's not fair, but it's also silly to pretend it's otherwise. Nobody wants to be an ugly person, but the sad fact is everyone carries around their life experience of who they've seen, and we all get measured against it, and treated accordingly. It's subconscious, irrational, evolutionarily derived thinking, and it won't go away.

On the other hand, people don't just have the right to be considered beautiful, or attractive. If you're fat and feel ugly, well so what? Either do something about it, or come to terms with it. You're not going to change a hard-wired preferred aesthetic. Supposing larger models were all there were on the catwalks, I guarantee, it would be the slender people that are still sought after most in society.
I already have.

1 and 2 are contradictory. How does making obese people ashamed help anyone, huh? What, so you want them to stay indoors for the rest of their life? Not have the courage to go to the gym or park to lose weight? Feel like people are judging them if they ask for help? And just marginalise them? Wouldn't that make the problem worse? Interested to hear your thoughts on this.

Quick Reply