The Student Room Group

Specific Heat Capacity

Can someone tell me if my answers are correct/incorrect? Thanks. Also I need some help on the last question. ImageUploadedByStudent Room1442421609.174562.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ohnanailikenanas
Can someone tell me if my answers are correct/incorrect? Thanks. Also I need some help on the last question. ImageUploadedByStudent Room1442421609.174562.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unless you made mistakes in calculations, your methods are all right and so should your answers.

You need to find the change is temperature, T=Q/(mc), so you need to find the mass of the air drawn and the energy supplied by the heater.

Although you could solve these problems by reasoning, it's much better to find the quantities needed by the consideration of units. For example, mass is measured in kg so to get this quantity we need to multiply the rate by density, since (m^3/s)*(kg/m^3)= kg/s. Even though this is kg per second, we are interested in the amount of mass passing per second and so this would leave us with kg. This is the same with the energy supplied by the heater, so we are only considering the amount of energy every second.

Hope this helps.
That helped a lot! Thanks. My answer for the last question was 1K.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ohnanailikenanas
That helped a lot! Thanks. My answer for the last question was 1K.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not exact 1, I got around 1.04k
Yeah I got 1.04 too but rounded it up. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest