The Student Room Group

University Decisions - HELP!!

Okay so I'm in year 13 and I want to go into education like primary school teaching but there are so many different routes and I don't really know what routes are available so could somebody explain that to me please?

Also I don't know whether I 100% want to teach and want to take a year out before I make decisions so would between deferring a year and just not applying for another year which would be the better option???

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!
I applied last year for medicine so I can't help with the routes into teaching but if you're very unsure and need more time to think things over then it would be fine to take a gap year and reapply as long as you think you can fill the time, eg by working or travelling, as well as cope with all your friends moving on. It may be the better choice in the long run so you avoid wasting time and money on a course you don't enjoy and you can also gain some experience teaching, either unpaid or maybe by getting a job in a nursery school or something.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey,

For primary school teaching, you can do a Primary Education with QTS (Qualified Teacher Status) degree. If you are still uncertain as to whether you want to become a teacher, you could do a Early Childhood Studies, Childhood Studies, Youth and Community, or Education Studies degree, and do a PGCE after your degree if you decide you do want to teach. You could even do a Health and Social Care foundation degree.

Most universities offer these courses, have you thought about which city/town you want to live in?

As for getting on the course, make sure you get some experience in a school, or a children's centre/nursery. Also prepare yourself for interviews and Maths and Literacy skills test.

Good luck! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest