Yep, planning on if I go there!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
what instrument do you play?
Reply 3
I joined in 1st year but never went, am still on the mailing list though hehe.
Castle Orchestra is better. :biggrin:
My housemate plays in it. She seems to enjoy it.
Reply 5
I play the flute and want to get involved in a lot of musical activities, so I'd join :smile:
Reply 6
*subliminally tells everyone to come to Castle Orchestra*

:ninja:
Reply 7
Can you join even if you're not a member of that college? Or is that a ridiculous question?
Reply 8
Becca
Castle Orchestra is better. :biggrin:

Do you play in this? I hope to join and just wondered what sort of standard i'd need to be xx
Reply 9
NickiM
Can you join even if you're not a member of that college? Or is that a ridiculous question?

Yes you can join. We welcome people from all colleges, of all abilities. It's a non-audition orchestra and everyone is really friendly.
I was Vice-President last year and next year I might be President. :biggrin:

We do a concert once a term, including an outdoor one in June and just to give you an idea, this term the orchestra is playing Mozart and Fauré's Requiem, with the Castle Chapel Choir and Singing Society, which is a new and exciting project. I wish I was there to play/sing. :frown:
Other than that we play things like film music as well as more traditional classical stuff!
Reply 10
Ooooh...tough choice :biggrin: Does your orchestra have a website?
Reply 11
;no;

:redface:

But we do play in Castle's Great Hall....:p:
Reply 12
Ooooh :biggrin:

Are there any other orchestras?
Reply 13
Yep there's DUOS (Durham University Orchestral Society) and they have symphony and chamber orchestras, but there's loads of competition and you have to audition. And you have to be good, like waaaaaaaaaaay over grade 8, diploma good.
Reply 14
I don't think I'd get in that, there would be about 2 flutes, and I bet those places would go to music students.
Reply 15
NickiM
I don't think I'd get in that, there would be about 2 flutes, and I bet those places would go to music students.

Well, you'd be surprised! You should at least audition if you want to, you'll never know otherwise, and they play some really challenging and magnificent pieces. :smile:
Reply 16
yes nicki, you should give it a try!:smile:
I think the hill orchestra will be more than good enough for me:p: so am i right in guessing that it is a place for people who can play an instrument, even if they are not amazingly good at it? that would be nice..
(I haven't been through the english 'grade' system in music, so i have no idea what my standard is compared to other students:confused: )
Reply 17
blablabla
yes nicki, you should give it a try!:smile:
I think the hill orchestra will be more than good enough for me:p: so am i right in guessing that it is a place for people who can play an instrument, even if they are not amazingly good at it? that would be nice..
(I haven't been through the english 'grade' system in music, so i have no idea what my standard is compared to other students:confused: )

Yep you're right, Hill Orchestra works on the same non-audition basis as Castle Orchestra so anyone can join. :smile:
Reply 18
Well, I've done grade 8, so I am ok, but yeh, I'm not brilliant, and I freeze in orchestras when I have solos :frown:

Latest