The Student Room Group

Being a germaphobe/type A at university?

I have a 'Type A Personality' If you don't know what that is it's basically where you're incredibly detailed orientated, hate being late, very competitive. I have type B qualities too.

I want to appear as a normal person to people at university and I can't really do that if I'm shouting at my flat mates on the first day to label their cutlery.

Also I've heard about 'freshers flu' and honestly I'm terrified for uni for that reason. I hate germs, I hate the thought of getting sick more than actually getting sick. The idea of other people spreading things to me makes me feel sick.

I eat with plastic knives and forks because I don't like the idea of germy metal knives and forks.

I don't know how I'm going to live with other people who may be messy because I'm really neat and I hate mess. I don't want to be rude either so I don't know what to do.
Reply 1
freshers ebola is definitely one to watch out for
Original post by eatyaownass
I have a 'Type A Personality' If you don't know what that is it's basically where you're incredibly detailed orientated, hate being late, very competitive. I have type B qualities too.

I want to appear as a normal person to people at university and I can't really do that if I'm shouting at my flat mates on the first day to label their cutlery.

Also I've heard about 'freshers flu' and honestly I'm terrified for uni for that reason. I hate germs, I hate the thought of getting sick more than actually getting sick. The idea of other people spreading things to me makes me feel sick.

I eat with plastic knives and forks because I don't like the idea of germy metal knives and forks.

I don't know how I'm going to live with other people who may be messy because I'm really neat and I hate mess. I don't want to be rude either so I don't know what to do.

freshers flu is more from drinking too much and not eating well therefore destroying your immune system resulting in savage flu. but to most normal people it would be a minor cold.

have you thought about trying to combat your phobia? sounds like it takes over you life a bit. How can you eat with plastic knives and forks lol.
I'd make it as least known to your flat mates as possible because if someone was label my cutlery i'd tell them to f off haha. you don't wanna tell them what to do its not a good idea. slowly let them know you're a bit of a clean freak is what I'd do. even if its not strictly true - they'd get a good idea of what would annoy you.
Original post by eatyaownass

Get over it. This is going to sound harsh, but you've diagnosed yourself with these things and I think it makes you feel justified in your way of life, and that it cannot change. Well, it can change, and it'd be the best thing to do going forward. It might be hard, but you'll be glad you did in the long run.

Metal is about as clean as you can get, it's used because of how easy it is to clean. Just don't expect others to conform to your demands, I think it's a case of 'fake it till you make it', keep quiet and soldier on through it and you'll eventually realise that it's nothing to worry about!
you can't do anything about other people's habits and you need to accept that before you move in, if you are constantly moaning about washing up and bins and so on people are just going to dislike you and they still wont do any cleaning

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending