The Student Room Group

If you could change one event in history, would you?

If so, what would you change? And why? :holmes:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No. Brings to mind the Red Alert games too much. You'd kill Hitler and end up with a hot cold war.
Original post by shadowdweller
If so, what would you change? And why? :holmes:

But seriously, I probably wouldn't. Even terrible events like the World Wars have brought amazing technological and medical advancements which may not be here without the wars.

Although, I'd probably stop David Tennant leaving Doctor Who :ninja:
Reply 3
James Corden.
Nazi's win WWI/WWII.
I wouldn't change a thing. In as much as most events can be said to have been 'catastrophic' and 'inhumane'. Collectively it has led to phenomenal changes in human behaviors most especially on how we view the world in general and how best we can co-exist regardless of our "institutionalized" differences.
The trajectory of a feather falling. Or anything which i think won't effect effect anything and therefore stop me being born.
I would save Nikola Tesla's work and provide him with the means to develop his innovations further.
Original post by BurstingBubbles

But seriously, I probably wouldn't. Even terrible events like the World Wars have brought amazing technological and medical advancements which may not be here without the wars.

:ninja:
Original post by Rambooze
James Corden.

Agreed.

Although in all seriousness, the thought of changing history is quite scary. One change could modify every single thing that follows as part of a chain reaction in the theory of cause and effect. The world might not be anything like the way we know it if we prevented a certain war or the birth of a murderous dictator. That might be a good thing, or it might not be. Evil will always manifest itself somewhere, sort of like how moles pop up in the game of whack-a-mole. You stamp one bit of evil out and another pops up elsewhere. So, no, I don't think I would like to change anything in history, despite the multitude of tragic events that have taken place.
The Holocaust. It could still be viewed as 'inhumane' and horrible, even with less innocent deaths.
Reply 11
No. I don't trust the depth of my knowledge of every time period in history and its precise consequence to risk changing any one event.
Original post by BurstingBubbles

YES!!!!! OMG you are so brilliant :biggrin:

i would probably bring animals back that were driven to extinction by humans such as the thylacine :h:
I'd get Fermat to write his proof down (if it existed). I figure that's less likely to have disastrous consequences than something like stopping WWII
The Holocaust.

Yes.
I don't fall for, "today wouldn't be the same."
I'd change European invasion of...everywhere. :h:
Original post by Sweet n Sour

I'd change the fact that the Europeans didn't take over the whole world. I'd make sure they invaded each and every country and were slavemasters everywhere.
Original post by Dark Elixir
I'd change the fact that the Europeans didn't take over the whole world. I'd make sure they invaded each and every country and were slavemasters everywhere.

zzzz...
Reply 18
Original post by Sweet n Sour

Its colonies would be so well-developed, without the Neanderthal influence of non-civilised Europe. The whole African continent would be an Eden.

Err, I'd do something but I don't know what. Probably prevent Based Harold Wilson from getting dementia in the mid-70s so that he could stay Prime Minister, beat Thatcher in a general election and use the fear of Thatcher to make the unions come into line without destroying the industrial North.
Original post by jape
Its colonies would be so well-developed, without the Neanderthal influence of non-civilised Europe. The whole African continent would be an Eden.

It would continue to have untouched, untouchable dynasties for one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending