The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Robbie I seriously hope you never become a chilled out kind of person. Your rants are ****ing hilarious
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 21
RobbieC
The only inherently **** thing about Durham is the anti-student local population who think they can **** all over us because they assume we are all priviliged toffs driving ferraris and going for lunch at cafe nero... so they SPIT on me.

If they ever did that to me and weren't in a car, I would use whatever objects were closest to hand to snap their neck and kill them. The absolute ****ing scummers.

i have close friends in Durham so shut your face. Anyway, you're wrong. Perhaps this happens to you because you are a toff or simply have a crap personality. Sounds like you do - calling the whole local population scummers?!!! Who do you think you are?!!! If you don't like it then run back home to daddy.
Reply 22
lairy_kate
i have close friends in Durham so shut your face. Anyway, you're wrong. Perhaps this happens to you because you are a toff or simply have a crap personality. Sounds like you do - calling the whole local population scummers?!!! Who do you think you are?!!! If you don't like it then run back home to daddy.

He wasn't actually saying that all locals are scum, he was saying that the ones who spat on him are scum....surely you can't argue with that?
lairy_kate

Which is exactly the kind of attitude that he was talking about, well done.
Reply 24
The Big Issue sellers are not beggers -they are people doing an honest job and trying to make ends meet. Although I do not often buy the big issue very much these days, I do have respect for them.
Incidentally, the woman on Saddler Street sometimes falls asleep in her chair. She was snoring the other day when I walked past.

Those people who try to flog gypsy charms really bug me. A curt "not interested" gets rid of them.

The cuggers (charity muggers) do bug me. I do not have a problem with them per se (in fact I work for one of the charities they sometimes are selling), it's just the frequency that they appear in Durham. I have to walk through town several times a day and they are always stopping me.
I think we all need to calm down kids.

Arguing on an internet forum makes fools of us all.
Reply 26
Of course there are nice locals too, but I do often feel a lot of locals, even though they don't act with hostility... feel a bitterness toward us students, as if we have invaded or something. Mostly the older ones.
Reply 27
There are way more creepy/homeless people in America, way more, including a pirate guy who will smoke from his empty eyesocket.
Reply 28
arkbar
There are way more creepy/homeless people in America, way more, including a pirate guy who will smoke from his empty eyesocket.

UGH!
Reply 29
And he's not even the scariest/weirdest one...
Apparently a lot of it is a legacy of the Regan era, when a lot of funds were cut from institutions that dealt with people who were mentally disturbed in one way or another, forcing a lot of them to be released onto the streets with no home/income.
Reply 30
That sounds truly awful! And of course, nobody since Regan has made any effort to rectify the problem...

:yy:
Reply 31
lairy_kate

You are a tool. He was talking about the "anti-student local population", i.e. people who are anti-students. And do you honestly think that these people, who didn't know him, spat on him because he has "a crap personality"? Perhaps they'd been following him around for weeks to get an appraisal of his character so they could decide to spit on him as a kind of punishment for his bad traits?

Oh my god, "run back home to daddy". That's the funniest thing I've ever heard. Not that your whole post was full of stereotypes/sweeping generalisations, much more so than Robbie's would have been even if it meant what you thought in the first place.

When I did the poll, I was shocked to see that at the time I was the only person who'd put "They're harmless", whereas most people had put the negative option! What is the problem? I've actually never been molested by the red vests in Durham (ha ha, "red vests", like "brown shirts"), but I have elsewhere before I came to uni. They always assumed I was a uni student and went on and on about how massive my student loan is and how other people need the money. Shut up! I'm living off BORROWED MONEY, and I'm already £700 into my overdraft. You probably have a hell of a lot more money than me - I know how much you get paid.
Reply 32
RobbieC
Of course there are nice locals too, but I do often feel a lot of locals, even though they don't act with hostility... feel a bitterness toward us students, as if we have invaded or something. Mostly the older ones.

It's actually bull****. A tiny minority of locals hate students. If there are any grievances with anyone else it's because of idiots who complain about beggars. Welcome to the real world.
Reply 33
I don't mind if the locals hate me, because I hate them too. :mad:
Reply 34
Fields
I don't mind if the locals hate me, because I hate them too. :mad:

Why?

The vast majority of locals don't hate students - if they did then you would certainly know about it because you wouldn't be able to venture anywhere outside of the main student areas (i.e. the bailey/science site) for you'd be assaulted anywhere!

I think the problem is that a lot of locals think "Hmm students, rich gits" and a lot of students think "Hmmm locals, rough scum" and so unconsciously treat each other that way which then makes the problem worse. For example, if you go into the local market and start speaking to one of the stall owners like they're a child and as though you're above them and such (which I have seen students do quite a bit :frown:) then you're going to make their opinion of you worse - just treat locals like they're regular people (because they ARE!) and you're not going to get any hostility.

I feel perfectly fine walking through town on a Friday/Saturday night because any of the locals I just ignore and if they say anything to me then just have a laugh and go along with it - they're not going to bite you!! (well, most anyway!)

Conclusion: If people remove their preconceptions of both sides then things would go much better, but because students are constantly "scared" of the locals beating them up and the locals are constantly annoyed at the students who many don't respect their city (noise at night, etc.) then there will always be problems :rolleyes:
Reply 35
arkbar

:eek:

Nice.
Reply 36
The drunk Busker guy is called Ziggy Oz and seems really harmless. On the way back from a night of Klutage we stoped off at Subway and he was in there. The staff let him sit there to keep warm. He was really funny, and kind of sweet, and drew me a picture because he said 'the light shone out of my eyes!' He gave it to me, and signed it, 'Love always in Durham City, Ziggy Oz.' He didn't ask me for any money for it or hassle me, just wanted to draw me a picture!
Reply 37
Megzie
The drunk Busker guy is called Ziggy Oz and seems really harmless. On the way back from a night of Klutage we stoped off at Subway and he was in there. The staff let him sit there to keep warm. He was really funny, and kind of sweet, and drew me a picture because he said 'the light shone out of my eyes!' He gave it to me, and signed it, 'Love always in Durham City, Ziggy Oz.' He didn't ask me for any money for it or hassle me, just wanted to draw me a picture!

I thought he was called Peter Clark? That's what he told a mate of mine anyway.

He may seem sweet, but you might not think that when he's pissing on your groundfloor flat's windows.
Reply 38
Megzie
The drunk Busker guy is called Ziggy Oz and seems really harmless.

I like him. V.entertaining and friendly.
I always thought his name was Tom Waits

Latest

Trending

Trending