The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cnm1235
Could anyone help me? I realllllly wanna go to KCL so badly and im applying for Computer Science. Do you think its likely that ill get an offer? Standard entry is AAB, I got ABBB as AS but predicted AAB for A2. After reading about how competitive KCL is though like, do i even stand a chance because they must get way more people who got eh right grades at AS too? Feeling hopeless aha.
At GCSE i got 5 A*'s and 8 A's and 1 B. Hoping my personal statement and references are strong enough (got help with my personal statement from a 4th year computer scientist doing a masters from my summer school) but like, do you think its likely? I heard that unis over offer anyway because they know a lot of people wont make their offer but still.. Having a lil breakdown cri thanks in advance.

If your predicted grades are on track for the entry requirement then you have a good shot of at least being considered. The entry grades aren't arbitrarily pulled from nothing, they'll have assessed the cohort in previous years and adapt their requirements around that. Yes it's competitive, but then any other major university will be like that too, so don't let that put you off. You're predicted the entry requirement, you've had some help in making a decent personal statement, so have a little bit of confidence :smile:
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Original post by MrDystopia
I wouldn't be able to shed further light on an interview I'm afraid. Only says in the prospectus that they may interview some people, but in this thread I think you've seen some folks applying for Neuro get an off just like that. As you mentioned too, you're a mature student. Do you have another degree behind you in the past?
In terms of an access diploma, it shouldn't hurt your chances at all. From the prospectus this is stated as the requirement for entry. Does this apply for you?

Access to HE Diploma Access to Science (or similar) with 45 Level 3 credits: 33 must be from units awarded at Distinction, with the remaining Level 3 credits at Merit. Level 3 study must include Chemistry and Biology. Level 3 study of Maths or Physics also preferred.

Thank you for your reply.
I don't have another degree behind me, no; I have been working since I left secondary school.
We are only three weeks into the course so far so I don't have any grades as yet. I am aiming for 45 distinctions but only time will tell. The course covers biology, chemistry and maths so it fits well with King's requirements.

Thanks again.
Reply 82
Original post by MrDystopia
Hard to say, those predicted grades wouldn't be so hard to attain I imagine for you. Depending on what the requirements for physics are at Kings (AAA in the prospectus) I can imagine it would be quite tough applying here. Of course, that's only the grade aspect, depends on the rest of your application (Which I'll take your word is awesome! :tongue: )

I wouldn't be able to shed further light on an interview I'm afraid. Only says in the prospectus that they may interview some people, but in this thread I think you've seen some folks applying for Neuro get an off just like that. As you mentioned too, you're a mature student. Do you have another degree behind you in the past?
In terms of an access diploma, it shouldn't hurt your chances at all. From the prospectus this is stated as the requirement for entry. Does this apply for you?

Access to HE Diploma Access to Science (or similar) with 45 Level 3 credits: 33 must be from units awarded at Distinction, with the remaining Level 3 credits at Merit. Level 3 study must include Chemistry and Biology. Level 3 study of Maths or Physics also preferred.

You predictions are on point with the entry requirement. As for what the most likely scenario is, I can't say sadly. It says that not everyone is interviewed, and not everyone who gets an offer necessarily has an interview either. So really just about your application in general. If it stands out there's no reason why you couldn't just get an offer straight up.

Hey, thanks for getting back to me. Yeahh i think i can atleast get AAB at the end of the year, but my teachers are being really harsh, so i may need to go through clearing btw do you have any sort of idea as to how competitive physics is at kings, i remeber it was in clearing last year.
Also im resitting some AS modules, do you think they would mind that ? And i got a U in futher maths last year too, do you think that would be a problem??

ps. Sorry for all the questions im soo curious :/
Reply 83
Original post by Azula
Just got an offer for MSci in Biochemistry woo!!

may I ask when did you send your ucas?
Reply 84
Original post by kji
may I ask when did you send your ucas?

Wednesday 7th October :smile:
Reply 85
Original post by Azula
Wednesday 7th October :smile:

That was quick!! Where else have you applied to?
Reply 86
Original post by kji
That was quick!! Where else have you applied to?

I know :ahee:
I also applied to Imperial, UCL, Cambridge and Bristol :wink:
Bonjour! Applying here for medicine :biggrin:
Reply 88
Original post by Azula
I know :ahee:
I also applied to Imperial, UCL, Cambridge and Bristol :wink:

Omg!! I am planning to apply to the same unis as you! But I am applying next year as I am now doing AS. You will surly be a model for me, do you mind updating me when you receive other offers?
Reply 89
Original post by kji
Omg!! I am planning to apply to the same unis as you! But I am applying next year as I am now doing AS. You will surly be a model for me, do you mind updating me when you receive other offers?

Yeah sure why not? :h:
Good luck with your studies!
Original post by Pan's_Lost_Girl
oh i actually have no idea what that is. i'm an american student using american qualifications hoping to get into KCL

Same! Are you using Common App or UCAS? What AP's/subject tests have you done/are taking? What're your SAT's? (That's what people want if they ask for A levels/GCSES)

I'm applying for computer science with robotics. I'm not sending my transcript, as my grades are weaker than my test scores. My counselor refused to give predicted grades, so that'll be interesting.

2190 SAT, 800 M, 770 CR, 620 W

Math Scores:
740 Math 2 SAT2 (10th grade)
800 Math 2 SAT2(11th grade)
5 Calculus BC, with 5 for AB subscore
I'm taking Multivariable Calculus and Linear Algebra this year

Physics Scores:
750 SAT2
3 Physics 1
Taking Physics C both parts

Humanities Scores:
770 World History SAT2
760 Literature SAT2
5 World History
5 Lang
4 US History
Taking Lit, Comparative Gov, and US Gov.

I couldn't take AP CS because of a schedule conflict.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 91
Original post by Azula
Yeah sure why not? :h:
Good luck with your studies!

Thank you very much!:smile:
Hope to hear good news from you soon!! :colondollar:
Original post by annzabelle
Same! Are you using Common App or UCAS? What AP's/subject tests have you done/are taking? What're your SAT's? (That's what people want if they ask for A levels/GCSES)

I'm applying for computer science with robotics. I'm not sending my transcript, as my grades are weaker than my test scores. My counselor refused to give predicted grades, so that'll be interesting.

2190 SAT, 800 M, 770 CR, 620 W

Math Scores:
740 Math 2 SAT2 (10th grade)
800 Math 2 SAT2(11th grade)
5 Calculus BC, with 5 for AB subscore
I'm taking Multivariable Calculus and Linear Algebra this year

Physics Scores:
750 SAT2
3 Physics 1
Taking Physics C both parts

Humanities Scores:
770 World History SAT2
760 Literature SAT2
5 World History
5 Lang
4 US History
Taking Lit, Comparative Gov, and US Gov.

I couldn't take AP CS because of a schedule conflict.

I'm using UCAS for my application and I'm planning to send in my transcript because my standardized test scores aren't as strong.

I'm applying for law though, not computer science. I'm not really a math/science based person.

I got a 1980 on my SAT. 650 Math 680 Writing and 650 Reading

I took AP Lit (score 4) and US History (score 4) last year. This is year I'm taking AP Physics C, AP Calculus AB, AP French, and AP Lang.

I'm also taking honors World Lit, Broadcast Journalism, Economics, and It's the Law this year.

I only took one SAT2 and that was last year, but I didn't score that well. I got a 520 for Physics. But I'm taking the SAT2 for French, Math 1 and Literature this coming November.
Got an offer for BSc Psychology!! :smile:
Good luck to everyone else! XX
How is everyone hearing back from UCAS so quickly, I sent off my application off yesterday - even my teachers and everything- I got an email about track! How is everyone hearing back lol?

I'm applying for child nursing for September 2016. I'm quite worried though as I know that London is SUPER hard to live off of! :frown: haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lunnford84
Just got an Unconditional offer to study English. OVER THE MOON!

did you do the access course and if you don't mind me asking how old are you? im 19 but if do the access course next year i will finish at 21
Reply 96
Original post by Lunnford84
Just got an Unconditional offer to study English. OVER THE MOON!

Congratulations! Have you already sat your A levels?
Original post by plumtree
Just got my offer for PPE today! A*AA in any subjects, woo!

Congrats! I've applied for the same course and sent my application off on Thursday. What subjects do you take and when did you send yours off?
I've created a page for offer holders on FB! Do join!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1622799704645365/

:biggrin:
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
Is anyone applying for law here?

I am :smile:

Latest