The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hmmm... I took both in 2013, so I don't know how much the structure has changed. However, in my experience history was harder due to the long essays required, whereas Geography had a nice range of short- longer answers. Geography coursework, while difficult, was much easier to jump through the AO hoops than history was, and also a lot more fun- you have to love a good field trip! Having said this, I had an amazing geography teacher and an average- poor history teacher, so it's difficult to be totally objective. I went on to do history rather than geography a level in the end, but I have fond memories of geography. Learning all the human geography in 3 weeks and getting 99% in the exam was a highlight. I don't think that would have been possible (or as fun) in history.
Historrry.
History.
Time pressure of writing essays in exams.
Being able to argue a point well.
Remembering historic detail and facts to back up your argument.
Universities tend to value History more if that tells you anything about their respective difficulties.
to be honest I have done geography GCSE and I got an but only 4 girls got C but all the people that did history they all got a C or above and the lowest grade was a D. hope I have helped anymore help just ask and I will help .:smile:
lol i did geography, probably the easiest A i got (was 2 marks from A* so u can do better if you like)
Original post by secretgoldfish_
People who are logical and good with graphs etc often do really well in Geography, but that's not to say they'd be bad at History and vice versa. In the end it's all down to how much the individual enjoys a subject.

Yh true! I didn't really enjoy geography haha maybe that's why I wasn't good lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got an A in GCSE History, but an A* in A level History haha. Personally found History easier than Geography, which I got a B in. The Geography coursework trip sucks so bad, a week in a cold Somerset river in December!
History is probably harder (didn't do geog so don't know really), however it is miles better than geog as a subject :h:
GEOGRAPHY!!!
The amount you have to know in detail such as places and facts and figures...
History can also be difficult but it is normally WW2 which is a breeze because it is something you know and have heard about millions of times before
It really depends on what you like more and what you're better at.

I found geography harder, probably would've done better at history. Absolutely hate geography!

I did better at history and enjoyed it, but for my options I chose geography (we had to choose one of the two) because I had heard my sister and her friends complain lots about how hard it was, I regret it very much!
(edited 8 years ago)
I chose History because it seemed more interesting which is what got me through. Geography however- just eurgh.
I'm doing GCSE history and i'm in yr11. Personally i think history is harder as my friends who do geography find it a lot easier, however it depends on what you are good at. There is defiantly a lot more writing in history but just do what you enjoy and what you think you will be better, i also think it depends on the teachers!
(edited 8 years ago)
Geography is soooo much harder than History GCSE.

With Geography you have to remember tons of stuff about rivers and ****. Whereas with history, once you get the exam technique nailed down, specific knowledge is not that important. You don't even have to remember that much stuff like years.

Plus Geography is massively boring
Reply 34
bump
Reply 35
bump
Got nearly full UMS in Geog and History, but tbh I found aqa geography very easy once you get round the exam technique but almost more to remember. Choose the one which you will enjoy more and might even choose to do at A level
Original post by Txhmid
I am currently deciding what to do for GCSE
Which one is harder AND WHY!

Generally history is harder than geography. However your school can choose easier units for your history exams and could perhaps mean Geography is harder. Modules such as Britain at War, Nazi Germany and the unit three modules are generally viewed as easy - modules like crime and punishment, medicine and pretty much all of the breadth study's are quite difficult indeed. Although in the breadth study exam I did get the highest mark :biggrin:
Geography is soo easy!! Get full marks in the controlled assessment and your saved. I ended up doing geography at the end of year 10 and I got an A*! Plus, geography Is a lot of more interesting as you've got volcanoes and fieldtrips which are compulsory due to the controlled assessment. Do geography you won't regret it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Naomi 2709
GEOGRAPHY!!!
The amount you have to know in detail such as places and facts and figures...
History can also be difficult but it is normally WW2 which is a breeze because it is something you know and have heard about millions of times before

You are kidding me about the whole WW2 thing? Only one of your exams can be about WW2 or at least be vaguely related to it. If you do edexcel history you'll either do Medicine or Crime and Punishment (Roman era to now), Nazi Germany and Protest in Modern Britain.

The exam content can't overlap, the exam boards don't want people doing a GCSE in WW2, they want people to have a GCSE in History.

Latest