The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Scroll to see replies

How is the food in the intercollegiate halls? I downloaded a sample menu but it seems outdated. Opinions?
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Original post by ebraico
Hey what's the likelihood of getting accommodation if you live in London already?

As far as I know, you can't actually get accommodation in King's halls if you live in London. I think they have a set of postcodes that are too close to the campuses so those students aren't allowed to apply for accommodation because you'd be taking it away from someone who lives a lot further away. I'm not sure if this rule still applies, as they seem to be updating ther accommodation web pages so it may not still be the case
Original post by hesitantbookworm
As far as I know, you can't actually get accommodation in King's halls if you live in London. I think they have a set of postcodes that are too close to the campuses so those students aren't allowed to apply for accommodation because you'd be taking it away from someone who lives a lot further away. I'm not sure if this rule still applies, as they seem to be updating ther accommodation web pages so it may not still be the case

This was the case for my first year, since I live in London. What I did was live at home the first year, then 2nd I applied for accommodation as a returning student (As opposed to fresher) and was given accommodation owing to the fact I hadn't had a year living out.

As you say though, I'm unsure if this is the policy still, but it's what happened to me :tongue:
I want to give up my double studio with kitchen at International Hall, the London University intercollegiate hall in Bloomsbury WC2. I am at King's College and would prefer to be at Champion Hill, but I don't need a swap, preferably someone to take over the room, asap.
Reply 24
Does anyone know when the start date is for application?
Reply 25
Hi! I have a room at champion hill and am looking to swap out or have it taken over so I can move more central and find housing closer to strand campus. Let me know if you are interested and email me! [personal details removed]
Has anyone had an login details for the accommodation portal yet? I read that you were meant to get them with the offer letter but I never got anything :frown:
Reply 27
Has anyone had an login details for the accommodation portal yet? I read that you were meant to get them with the offer letter but I never got anything :frown:

was wondering about that too...

[kind of off topic but I've found the KCL website to be very buggy and weird lately. so many broken links and webpages that don't lead to the right place :angry: makes it hard to do things on there!!]
Reply 28
Original post by ThreeStages
I want to give up my double studio with kitchen at International Hall, the London University intercollegiate hall in Bloomsbury WC2. I am at King's College and would prefer to be at Champion Hill, but I don't need a swap, preferably someone to take over the room, asap.

I have a room at champion hill! Message me about your room details?
Original post by sal_ome
was wondering about that too...

[kind of off topic but I've found the KCL website to be very buggy and weird lately. so many broken links and webpages that don't lead to the right place :angry: makes it hard to do things on there!!]

Ikr! They seem to be updating various bits at different times so some links are dead or take you to pages that no longer exist. Either that or they just show you all these dates etc but they're for 2015 entry!!
Regarding my previous post on here, I messaged King's about the lack of username and password for the accommodation portal and they said that they'll send them out nearer the time. I think the application period opens in April so I guess we'll get something in around March. I hope this helps anyone else who was worrying about a lack of communication from KCL :biggrin:
Reply 31
Regarding my previous post on here, I messaged King's about the lack of username and password for the accommodation portal and they said that they'll send them out nearer the time. I think the application period opens in April so I guess we'll get something in around March. I hope this helps anyone else who was worrying about a lack of communication from KCL :biggrin:

thankyou for letting us know:smile: i was convinced id missed something haha
Reply 32
Catered vs. non-catered? I cannot decide.
Reply 33

Thank you so much! I was panicking so much because I was scared I would miss out on applying for the accommodation I want on time! :smile:
Hi I really want to firm kings for 2016 but I live in London and realise the chances of getting accommodation are slim, is anyone in a similar situation?
Does anyone know the competition for the chances of getting into the accomodations? Is it really competitive? Realistically speaking, like 1:5 every place?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Hello, I am an international student who got an unconditional offer for International Development (BA). What are the residences that might be close to the campus I will be studying this major? Thank you.
Original post by GeorgiaEvanda
Hi I really want to firm kings for 2016 but I live in London and realise the chances of getting accommodation are slim, is anyone in a similar situation?

I was when I elected to try and live out. As of February last year, these post codes: https://www.kcl.ac.uk/campuslife/residences/docs/Do-you-already-live-in-London.pdf are the ones where you will face less priority.

Original post by eskimoomoo
Does anyone know the competition for the chances of getting into the accomodations? Is it really competitive? Realistically speaking, like 1:5 every place?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you are outside of London, you are guaranteed accommodation in your first year. If you are in one of the following post codes: https://www.kcl.ac.uk/campuslife/residences/docs/Do-you-already-live-in-London.pdf (Accurate as of Feb 2015) then you'll have less priority, in which they won't consider you for the first ballot of accommodation. So in terms of competitiveness, unless you live reasonably close you will get accommodation :smile:

Original post by kclintdever
Hello, I am an international student who got an unconditional offer for International Development (BA). What are the residences that might be close to the campus I will be studying this major? Thank you.

Which campus is this situated at? If it's Strand or Waterloo then I believe the closest would be the Stamford Street Apartments residence.

Original post by maella
Catered vs. non-catered? I cannot decide.

Non-catered. Always fun trying to work out what wholesome meal you can make with only cereal, breadsticks and cookies :tongue:
Hey @MrDystopia , do you know when the accommodation portal will open ?
Original post by Eniotnha
Hey @MrDystopia , do you know when the accommodation portal will open ?

From what I've gathered here: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/accommodation/apply/index.aspx

It appears applications for accommodation will open in April 2016.

The following is an FAQ regarding information on accommodation, I would highly recommend reading it. This has dates for last year but can give you a rough idea for how things will work this year: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/campuslife/residences/docs/Kings-Residences-FAQs1.pdf
(edited 8 years ago)