The Student Room Group

Wrong Access Course!

Hey!

So when I first went to enroll on my access course I wanted to do Business or Education but sadly my college wasn't running either that year due to a lack of interest. I really should of researched more into what I wanted to do at Uni because I'm now in a predicament!

I've just started year 2 and while I have enjoyed my Access course thus far (Social Sciences) having looked into career paths and courses available at Uni it's not really something I want to further.

I'm quite interested in Primary/Infant level teaching or something business related, but a lot of the University's are specifying the requirement to be an Education/Business Access pathway and now I'm concerned I've left myself no other option but to go down a path I'm not really interested in or start a fresh access course!

I have messaged a couple of Uni's already, one being Birmingham City Uni and they're not even considering another access pathway on a case by case basis, it's the one stated on requirements or nothing!

I'm at a bit of a dead end now and not sure what to do next, any suggestions?
thanks in advance!
I'm a little surprised Birmingham wouldn't accept social sciences as there is a lot you can learn about teaching from that but here's a few suggestions:

Try a few other unis close by are Newman/Coventry/Wolverhampton/Warwick. Some colleges like BMtec (I think) do education degrees which can be transferred to a uni also

Try and get some volunteer experience, this is vital. I'm doing the education pathway myself and have to get min 50 hours between now and April. Ideally you should aim for more.

Try and do some of the teacher training courses for example, level 2 supporting teaching or the award in education and training level 3 (you need no experience for these)
Reply 2
Original post by skeptical_john
I'm a little surprised Birmingham wouldn't accept social sciences as there is a lot you can learn about teaching from that but here's a few suggestions:

Try a few other unis close by are Newman/Coventry/Wolverhampton/Warwick. Some colleges like BMtec (I think) do education degrees which can be transferred to a uni also

Try and get some volunteer experience, this is vital. I'm doing the education pathway myself and have to get min 50 hours between now and April. Ideally you should aim for more.

Try and do some of the teacher training courses for example, level 2 supporting teaching or the award in education and training level 3 (you need no experience for these)

I was really surprised they wouldn't as well, there's a couple of core units in my Sociology that are directly children and education related but the admissions tutor I spoke to didn't seem interested at all!

Thanks for the advice I'll definitely look into those.
Which college are you at? If it's anything like mine there are some really good career advisers that would be my first point of call.
I did access to primary teaching but this week started a history degree. Each college tends to structure their access pathways a little differently.
What I would suggest is to choose one or the other for what you want to study at degree level, look at the kind of topics you'd be studying in it and try to relate it back to how access could prepare you, how your life helps leading to that degree etc.
My personal statement when I applied to do history was catered for just that so I picked aspects of access that were relevant to history even though the nearest I got to studying history in access was a unit on how education changed over the years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending