The Student Room Group

had a baby in sixth form - only 160 ucas points

title says it all really... i fell pregnant half way through my A2 year and due to a difficult pregnancy left with only AS grades BBCD... I want to go to uni now, i was looking to do Spanish, do you think there would be any hope in giving clearing a ring? I have to stay in my city as im living with my son (4) so my options are fairly limited.
Original post by elizabeths321
title says it all really... i fell pregnant half way through my A2 year and due to a difficult pregnancy left with only AS grades BBCD... I want to go to uni now, i was looking to do Spanish, do you think there would be any hope in giving clearing a ring? I have to stay in my city as im living with my son (4) so my options are fairly limited.

I would give them a ring, you have nothing to lose. Also, have you thought about The Open University? I studied my UG degree at a brick uni and I'm starting my postgrad in October with the OU but already I've found the course much clearer in terms of what they want and how. I think they do A Level courses too if you want to boost your ucas.
The thing is with the OU, that i would get no help at all being a single parent, i have looked into it and whilst i like the sound of it on paper, doing a distance learning course would sort of defeat the purpose of me going out (im a bit of a hermit since having him lol) studying and meeting new people.
Reply 3
You could do a foundation year at uni or an access course in college. AS levels alone is not enough to get into uni
The thing is with the OU, that i would get no help at all being a single parent, i have looked into it and whilst i like the sound of it on paper, doing a distance learning course would sort of defeat the purpose of me going out (im a bit of a hermit since having him lol) studying and meeting new people.

Yeah I can see how it wouldn't help you getting out of the house. It would also depend on where you live as a few areas like Kent and London have local groups. You could do it for the first year and transfer to a brick university if the worst came to the worst though.

You do need A2 levels though, they definitely won't let you in with AS levels regardless of your grades and where you are applying.
(edited 8 years ago)

You need to have higher qualifications than just AS, I'm afraid. A one year access course is your best bet. I'll move this thread to the mature students' forum where there are plenty of people who have been in your situation to give advice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending