The Student Room Group

Been kicked out. Help?

Hi, I am going into my third year of university. At them moment, I am entitled to the minimum maintenance loan from student finance, which I will receive in just a few days. Recently however my parents have kicked me out from home. I have nowhere to go, and therefore have no household to support me with my studies. The money I recieve will help, however it won't last for long and will not serve its purpose in helping me with my studies, instead it will be spent on somewhere to live, food ect. My question is seeing as I now have no household income, am I now entitled to a higher maintenance loan?
Original post by Samdingle21
Hi, I am going into my third year of university. At them moment, I am entitled to the minimum maintenance loan from student finance, which I will receive in just a few days. Recently however my parents have kicked me out from home. I have nowhere to go, and therefore have no household to support me with my studies. The money I recieve will help, however it won't last for long and will not serve its purpose in helping me with my studies, instead it will be spent on somewhere to live, food ect. My question is seeing as I now have no household income, am I now entitled to a higher maintenance loan?

the maintenance loan is meant to be spent on general living costs. if you are living away from home now and you weren't before then you are entitled to a small increase. Your income is only considered if you are 25 or over, have a child dependent, are married, have worked for 3 years before starting your course or estranged from your parents and can provide proof of this.
Reply 2
Don't forget that the local council may be able to help. You'll get the full loan and maintenance grant if you prove you were kicked out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Go to your local housing executive, they should be able to provide you with short term accommodation and may be able to put you in contact with a social worker who can write a letter of confirmation to student finance that you are now an independent student.
Although if you chose this route, I'm not sure about at your age but at younger ages, they do try their best to get you back into your own home e.g phoning your home and seeing if there is anyway your parents will allow you back, it's possible they will do this.
Also go to your students union, there may be some support available to you through your uni such as hardship funds.
(edited 8 years ago)
I don't understand parents who kick out their kids. Unless it was for something horrendous that you did then I see it as extremely cruel.
Reply 5
Ask ur universitys counsellors
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
I don't understand parents who kick out their kids. Unless it was for something horrendous that you did then I see it as extremely cruel.

Unfortunately it happens, sometimes it is the kid's fault (Maybe they're taking drugs and the parents have young children in the house so can't let them keep coming back, sometimes they throw themselves out by just leaving) but sometimes they think they're doing the child a favor, they might think they won't learn to look after themselves or behave better without a kick up the bum.

Edit* when I'm saying kid here I do not mean an actual child, I mean around 17-18ish

Until you know exactly whats happened you can't really judge the parents, I got threw out quite a lot in my teenage years but at 21 I can honestly say my mum was doing the right thing because now I've went back to school, got into university and gotten so much more mature.

Some parents may do it out of cruelty but a lot of the time there is a lot going on that could be influencing it.

Quick Reply

Latest