The Student Room Group

Would you support laws against people denouncing Islam?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by angelcake123
Its a silly question because the answer is obvious... do i have to spell it out for you?
All religions and belief systems should not be disrepected. Its a bit extreme to have a law for it. But would it hurt to just respect others beliefs whether you agree with it or not?

You have disrespected Pastafarianism, and probably upset a lot of people by doing so. Would it have hurt to have shown it some respect and reverence?
Its a silly question because the answer is obvious... do i have to spell it out for you?
All religions and belief systems should not be disrepected. Its a bit extreme to have a law for it. But would it hurt to just respect others beliefs whether you agree with it or not?

No. You don't have to listen, read, agree with, or accept my criticism and disrespect of your religion, but you still have to accept that I have the right to do so. You have exactly the same right of course and are free to use it as you please.

Of course, if there was a law against disrespecting and criticizing religion, you would also have to stop criticizing and disrespecting pasta, ramen, noodles, and colanders as well, for I am a Pastafarian and find these things sacred (and an ordained minister at that). Come at me brah.
Original post by Good bloke
You have disrespected Pastafarianism, and probably upset a lot of people by doing so. Would it have hurt to have shown it some respect and reverence?

Well I'm sorry if I have, it wasn't intentional. I just like to stick to the topic and question I'm given rather than going off the tangent :smile: if the exam asks me about osmosis, I'm hardly interested in the Russian revolution :colonhash:

Original post by Fango_Jett
No. You don't have to listen, read, agree with, or accept my criticism and disrespect of your religion, but you still have to accept that I have the right to do so. You have exactly the same right of course and are free to use it as you please.

Of course, if there was a law against disrespecting and criticizing religion, you would also have to stop criticizing and disrespecting pasta, ramen, noodles, and colanders as well, for I am a Pastafarian and find these things sacred (and an ordained minister at that). Come at me brah.

I never denied your right lmao, I don't even know who you are m8. Yes that would be the case. As I said all religions should not be disrespe- yeah I'm done repeating myself lmao :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 63
There is nothing wrong with hate ... it is a human emotion.
I choose to hate whatever/whoever I choose to hate.
Well I'm sorry if I have, it wasn't intentional. I just like to stick to the topic and question I'm given rather than going off the tangent :smile: if the exam asks me about osmosis, I'm hardly interested in the Russian revolution :colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're not very bright are you? You're still unable to comprehend the fact that comparisons and examples are not tangents.
Well I'm sorry if I have, it wasn't intentional. I just like to stick to the topic and question I'm given rather than going off the tangent

You are obviously missing the point; it appears to be whooshing straight over your head. The talk of Pastafarianism and Inca religion was absolutely on the point of whether it should be legal to be disrespectful to religions and to criticise and mock them.

Let's try another tack in an attempt to bring you to an understanding. Do you believe a religion that calls for human sacrifice should be accorded respect in the same way as Christianity and Islam? Or would it be valid to question, criticise and express contempt for it?
You're not very bright are you? You're still unable to comprehend the fact that comparisons and examples are not tangents.

Tell a Muslim (not me, im not muslim) that you're comparing their religion to sacred jackets and tell me what they say :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tell a Muslim (not me, im not muslim) that you're comparing their religion to sacred jackets and tell me what they say :smile:

Who cares what they have to say? They have their beliefs without any evidence. I have mine. None of us are correct, and my sacred jackets are just as valid as theirs.

The fact that you are belittling my newly founded Church of Leather Jackets is insulting and disrespectful and you are breaking your very own rationale that all beliefs should be respected.
Original post by KingBradly
Would you support laws that protect Islam and stop people being able to criticise Islam or mock sensitive elements such as Muhammad?

Would you also support laws that make it illegal to speak negatively about Muslims?

Criticising religion; no
Making hate comments towards Muslims; yes.
Reply 69
Original post by Drewski

We already have laws about inciting racial or religious hatred and they cover all religions and races. We do not need specific blasphemy laws because we are not in the 14th century.

I take your quote and raise you Tower Hamlets.
Who cares what they have to say? They have their beliefs without any evidence. I have mine. None of us are correct, and my sacred jackets are just as valid as theirs.

The fact that you are belittling my newly founded Church of Leather Jackets is insulting and disrespectful and you are breaking your very own rationale that all beliefs should be respected.

If you can't respect their beliefs, why should I respect yours?

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you can't respect their beliefs, why should I respect yours?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't have to in the first place? That's the bloody point. No one has to respect or skirt around another person's belief.
You don't have to in the first place? That's the bloody point. No one has to respect or skirt around another person's belief.

You got a bit upset when I apparently offended your sacred jackets belief. You got a bit defensive when I apparently insulted the pastaafarians

Posted from TSR Mobile
You got a bit upset when I apparently offended your sacred jackets belief. You got a bit defensive when I apparently insulted the pastaafarians

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not really? You have the right to disrespect my Pastafarianism, just as I have the right to disrespect and criticize every other one out there. Protecting Islam and it's elements from criticism means you also have to protect Pastafarianism and its' elements from criticism, meaning you can't disrespect pasta or ramen which I hold sacred.
Lol, stupidest thing I've ever heard. This is the kind of thing you'd expect in Pakistan or Saudi Arabia. I've heard about how muslims fall out with their Christian neighbours and then accuse them of insulting islam. The next thing we know, the Christians are murdered by some ignorant mob who swallow the lies.

If you make it illegal to speak ill of islam, you must also make it illegal to speak ill of any other religion. That would mean that millions of people would immediately need to be arrested because I don't think I get through a single hour without hearing someone somewhere using the Lord's name as a slur and therefore insulting Christianity...

It's funny because the more you muslims try to stop people criticising and pointing out your backwards archaic ideology, the more people like me are going to criticise just to laugh at the reaction :biggrin: If you were so secure in believing your god is great and your way is right, you wouldn't care in the slightest what we 'infidels' said about it.
Not really? You have the right to disrespect my Pastafarianism, just as I have the right to disrespect and criticize every other one out there. Protecting Islam and it's elements from criticism means you also have to protect Pastafarianism and its' elements from criticism, meaning you can't disrespect pasta or ramen which I hold sacred.

We may have the right, but that doesnt mean its okay/the nice thing to do to intentionally upset others. When we choose to disrespect and criticise, we also choose to take the risk that they will be upset.
And to that last point, I've said a billion times, yes. As you protect one religion, you protect all (regardless of whether you agree or not)

Yes that includes pastafarians lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
We may have the right, but that doesnt mean its okay/the nice thing to do to intentionally upset others. When we choose to disrespect and criticise, we also choose to take the risk that they will be upset.
And to that last point, I've said a billion times, yes. As you protect one religion, you protect all (regardless of whether you agree or not)
Yes that includes pastafarians lol

What we do and what we have the right to do are separate things. Proposing a legislation to protect a religion from criticism and dissent fundamentally erodes the bound of free speech. By your own reasoning, pasta and noodles, which are sacred to some, are now protected from criticism.

The fact that you are still failing to understand the point is unbelievable. Do you not see how anyone can create a religion and protect anything from criticism and prohibit people from disagreeing with it or speaking negatively about it? I can create a religion on Mountain Dew, Coke, Apple, and prevent people from talking crap about any of those. Eventually we won't be able to disagree or criticise anything because it can all potentially be protected by religious laws.
What we do and what we have the right to do are separate things. Proposing a legislation to protect a religion from criticism and dissent fundamentally erodes the bound of free speech.

One of the first things I said was that I wouldn't support the law lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
boring
Reply 79
Original post by Gears265
You will find Islam sends more hate speech our way then we do vice versa. Sickening how you would still side with it every time.

It's not a question of picking sides. It's the hypocrisy which sickens people.

We consider ourselves to be the enlightened, the illuminated civilization, the bastion of all things concerning humanity, democracy and human rights but when a certain group of people use those tools in a manner which we feel is detrimental to our line of thinking, we castigate them for it by abusing the same concepts which we feel define us as humans.

The other side, if one were to term it as that, is not claiming to be a bastion of democracy, human rights and freedoms and therefore, cannot be held accountable to the same degree as us. A position, I might add, that we have chosen for ourselves.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest