The Student Room Group

Being fat is not something to tell people to be happy about

Obesity is a concrete symptom of a very dangerous addiction to food. It should not be considered OK any more than any other dangerous addiction. It is no more ok to glorify obese models than it's ok to portray and glorify models with heroin filled syringes hanging from their arms. And that is not an exaggeration, that is a fair comparison: obesity is extremely dangerous to the health, let us please get back to remembering that.

If you want to be fat, that is your decision. I don't care. But don't completely ignore science and start pretending that being fat is something one should be happy about: that is extremely irresponsible.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
- You can be what society deems as "fat" and still be perfectly healthy. Fat=/= obese.
- BMI is not an accurate way to determine health.
- Most plus size models are healthy. And the models on this runway had beautiful bodies. Chances are they were more healthy than the typical bulimic/anorexic model.
really? this again?
:getmecoat:
Reply 3
People like you just show their virgin card so hard. Have no idea what a real woman looks like.
Original post by KingBradly

If you want to be fat, that is your decision. I don't care. But don't completely ignore science and start pretending that being fat is something one should be happy about: that is extremely irresponsible.

Who wants to be fat lol

and same could be said about skinny.
Reply 5
Original post by Truths
- You can be what society deems as "fat" and still be perfectly healthy. Fat=/= obese.
- BMI is not an accurate way to determine health.
- Most plus size models are healthy. And the models on this runway had beautiful bodies. Chances are they were more healthy than the typical bulimic/anorexic model.

Being more healthy than someone who is essentially dying of starvation is not healthy.

There are no health benefits to being fat, only negatives. It's like smoking. A gym obsessed smoker might be healthier than a non-smoker with a sedentary lifestyle, but that doesn't change the fact that smoking is terrible for your health.

What society considers as fat these days is much fatter than it was in the past.

Being fat has serious negative effects on health and should not be encouraged.

I would rather be a drug addict than obese. At least drugs feel good.
Reply 6
Being more healthy than someone who is essentially dying of starvation is not healthy.

There are no health benefits to being fat, only negatives. It's like smoking. A gym obsessed smoker might be healthier than a non-smoker with a sedentary lifestyle, but that doesn't change the fact that smoking is terrible for your health.

What society considers as fat these days is much fatter than it was in the past.

Being fat has serious negative effects on health and should not be encouraged.

I would rather be a drug addict than obese. At least drugs feel good.

This is a plus size woman:

Does she look unhealthy to you?

You need help. If this is "fat" there is absolutely nothing dangerous about being fat. And women who look like her should be able to feel comfortable and happy in their own skin. You don't know what her diet is. You don't know what she's eating. She can be larger due to genetics. Grow up.
Reply 7
Original post by Truths
People like you just show their virgin card so hard. Have no idea what a real woman looks like.

Yes, men who don't like girls of your size must all be virgins, and any girl who weighs less than you is something less than a "real" woman.

Keep reassuring yourself.
Reply 8
Original post by Truths

You need help. If this is "fat" there is absolutely nothing dangerous about being fat. And women who look like her should be able to feel comfortable and happy in their own skin. You don't know what her diet is. You don't know what she's eating. She can be larger due to genetics. Grow up.

She isn't fat. I'm not talking about plus sized models who are just a bit heavy. I'm talking about actually fat or even obese people saying that it's perfectly ok.
Reply 9
Yes, men who don't like girls of your size must all be virgins, and any girl who weighs less than you is something less than a "real" woman.

Keep reassuring yourself.
Don't misquote me. You're a virgin because you have unrealistic expectations of women and you can't comprehend that a healthy woman comes in many shapes and sizes. That is why you're a virgin.

I repeat. A healthy woman comes in many shapes and sizes. Pictorial representation:

/End Thread

Original post by Truths

This old chestnut comes up time and time again.

in b4 muh hyperthyroidism that affects less than 1% of the population. Seeing as the UK is one of the most obese countries in the world, we can't attribute medical conditions as the cause of the obesity epidemic.
Reply 11
Original post by Truths
Don't misquote me. You're a virgin because you have unrealistic expectations of women and you can't comprehend that a healthy woman comes in many shapes and sizes. That is why you're a virgin.

I repeat. A healthy woman comes in many shapes and sizes. Pictorial representation:

/End Thread

A virgin is someone who hasn't had sex, not someone who doesn't appreciate your voluptuous curves.

My gf is somewhere between a size 8 and a size 10. I don't have to worry about appeasing larger women.
There is nothing wrong about being fat or being skinny. Although a person must be aware of the consequences of not being healthy and must concern about their body. Body shaming is futile, proper encouragement is the most appropriate if you are concern about someone's health.
We as a society should properly encourage everyone to be healthy but not in a way of body shaming each other

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by tehforum
This old chestnut comes up time and time again.

Because it's true. Genetics is the reason why Serena as (do most black women carries more junk) in the trunk than Caroline Wozniacki, who is as flat as a ruler.

Original post by tehforum
in b4 muh hyperthyroidism that affects less than 1% of the population. Seeing as the UK is one of the most obese countries in the world, we can't attribute medical conditions as the cause of the obesity epidemic.

That's the thing. We're aren't talking about obese women. Obesity has real and legitimate health risks. But obese women are barely glorified. We do not see obese women on the runway. We areconflating societies standards of "fat" with obese. So we see women like Meghan Trainor or Serena Williams and you make assumptions about their health without even knowing what they put in their bodies, or how many hours they spend on the treadmill. It's so immature.
Reply 14
A virgin is someone who hasn't had sex, not someone who doesn't appreciate your voluptuous curves.

My gf is somewhere between a size 8 and a size 10. I don't have to worry about appeasing larger women.
Yea, Sure.

Original post by Truths

As opposed to fake women?
It's funny how it's always women who get offended over fat standards.

It's never men. If you tell a man he's fat he'll do either one of two things:

a). Tell that person to **** off, and get on with his life.

b). Analyse the criticism and work on himself to become fitter and lose the weight.

Tell a woman she's fat she'll definitely do both of these things:

a). Say how you're filth for calling her out on something which you're right.

and

b). go home and cry.

Disgraceful, we're now forced to accept fat people and can't even make jokes about them. An absolute disgrace.
Obesity is a concrete symptom of a very dangerous addiction to food. It should not be considered OK any more than any other dangerous addiction. It is no more ok to glorify obese models than it's ok to portray and glorify models with heroin filled syringes hanging from their arms. And that is not an exaggeration, that is a fair comparison: obesity is extremely dangerous to the health, let us please get back to remembering that.

Are you Nicole Arbour in disguise?

[video="youtube;CXFgNhyP4-A"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXFgNhyP4-A[/video]
I forgot to mention,

inb4 unfair standards set by the media.
Reply 19
Original post by Truths
Yea, Sure.

What do you have against virgins and single people? I'm sure many people who have difficulty finding partners due to their weight would be upset about this stigma which you seem glad to encourage.

Why is it ok for you to stigmatise virgins and people who can't find love but it's not ok for obesity to be stigmatised?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending