The Student Room Group

Is there a way to get into Veterinary based degrees without the A levels?

I.e. access courses or gateways etc? Any ideas? I have A levels, just not anything related.
Original post by Zuki
I.e. access courses or gateways etc? Any ideas? I have A levels, just not anything related.

Looks as if the Gateway year has been introduced to widen access, but to students whose science A-levels were not top flight rather than to those who have unrelated A-levels.

Nottingham (the first one I came across by Googling) offers:
the standard 5 year course D100 at AAB inc Bio and Chem; or
D190 - with a Gateway Way year at BBC inc Bio and Chem (but only 5 places); or
D104 - with a preliminary year at AAB in any subject provided the science GCSE was up to scratch - there are 20 places on this course.

I am not sure whether other universities offer this flexibility for non-science A-level students - putting D104 into the UCAS course search came up with only Nottingham, but it may be that a similar course has a different code for other universities.
Nottingham offers the only course that I know of that will accept you with non-science A Levels.

For other universities, it's possible to get in if you have other qualifications (i.e. a BTEC) in lieu of correct A Levels. Look on the universities' websites for details.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Thanks guys
Hi, I'm applying to vet med with an access course this year. The unis that I've found accept access in lieu of A levels are:

RVC (assessed on individual basis, BMAT exam)
Cambridge (need Chemistry A level, BMAT)
Bristol ( started doing a year 0)
Surrey (need to meet GCSE A's)
Nottingham (can apply to preliminary/ gateway)
Liverpool (has specific access requirements or does a year 0 through a college)

Normally you need lots of A's at GCSE but some universities are more lenient when applying with an access. Cambridge don't require any specific GCSE grades, RVC said they'd consider 5 B's as did Bristol, Liverpool and Nottingham (year 0)

For the access you'll need a minimum of 15 distinctions in chemistry and biology with at least merit for all other level 3 credits.

Just to bare in mind, the bmat is hard if you've been out of education for a while as you have to sit it in November, having only had a month or two of the access. Also, I've found it very difficult to sit Chemistry A level as a private candidate due to the practical assessments, the cheapest I've found is £1500.

Hope that helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending