The Student Room Group

Cambridge vs. Oxford IB offers for international students?

Canadian here: I've just graduated high school and am taking a gap year right now. I'd like to apply to Cambridge HSPS but it reads on their website that a 'typical' offer is 40-41 points and requires 776 at HL. I got 42 overall but 766 at HL, does this pretty much kill my chances?

If so, I'm interested in Oxford PPE as well, and my scores meet their requirements (766). The only thing is I would have to take the TSA and the nearest testing site is a 4hr plane ride away...

So based on this - would it be a better idea to apply Cambridge or Oxford? I'm slightly more interested in PPE but I'm not familiar with how UK schools look at international applicants and I'd like to have a rough idea of my chances at each school (I know I can only apply to one).
Reply 1
Original post by sanktannae
Canadian here: I've just graduated high school and am taking a gap year right now. I'd like to apply to Cambridge HSPS but it reads on their website that a 'typical' offer is 40-41 points and requires 776 at HL. I got 42 overall but 766 at HL, does this pretty much kill my chances?

If so, I'm interested in Oxford PPE as well, and my scores meet their requirements (766). The only thing is I would have to take the TSA and the nearest testing site is a 4hr plane ride away...

So based on this - would it be a better idea to apply Cambridge or Oxford? I'm slightly more interested in PPE but I'm not familiar with how UK schools look at international applicants and I'd like to have a rough idea of my chances at each school (I know I can only apply to one).

I think Cambridge are fairly strict about the 776 requirement, but maybe ask the admissions staff in the Ask Peterhouse thread
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3572717

- oh hold on, they don't have HSPS at Peterhouse... so probably best to email a couple of potential colleges (Christ's is particularly helpful :wink: )

By the way, universities are called unis here. "Schools" are generally for <18 education (i.e. high school or primary school).
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by jneill
I think Cambridge are fairly strict about the 776 requirement, but maybe ask the admissions staff in the Ask Peterhouse thread
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3572717

- oh hold on, they don't have HSPS at Peterhouse... so probably best to email a couple of potential colleges (Christ's is particularly helpful :wink: )

By the way, universities are called unis here. "Schools" are generally for <18 education (i.e. high school or primary school).

So when you suggested emailing potential colleges, does that mean they would each have different entrance requirements? I'm not that familiar with the UK system in general, but I thought admission reqs would be the same for all the Cambridge colleges.
Reply 3
Original post by sanktannae
So when you suggested emailing potential colleges, does that mean they would each have different entrance requirements? I'm not that familiar with the UK system in general, but I thought admission reqs would be the same for all the Cambridge colleges.

The typical offer is just that: typical, but not the only offer they can make. Colleges are free to vary it a bit depending on their view of the applicants. So yes, best to check with them.

You can look at previous Offer Holder's threads in the Cambridge forum on TSR to see actual offers by each college.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending