The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

how to study 90 credits a year...

hi
i just register for nat sci at ou and start with 60 credit s104 this year. after looking in books think i would like to study 90 credits a year, i can take another 30credit module starting feb so thats 90 this year and its sorted but....that leaves me 30 credit level 1 module next year oct to feb and all level 2 modules are going oct to jun so they all start in oct...my question
do i need to finish all level1 modules before starting level2 (then i would need to wait till next oct to start level 2 modules and it would leave me doing only 30 credit during year ) or can i start that last 30credit module along level 2 module so it would calculate as 90 credits a year??
really confused now cause i expected i would winish my last module in feb and then took level2 module in feb...
Reply 1
Hello,

Don't take anything I say here as gospel because I'm not studying 90 credits myself. As far as I'm aware, you should be able to study the remaining level 1 course and 60 credits of the level 2 courses next year if you study 90 this year. The only exception to this should be if the level 2 courses have the level 1 course you missed as a requirement.

I'll use the example of the degree I'm studying, Computing & IT and Mathematics. If I took TU100 - My Digital Life (60 credits) and MST124 - Essential Mathematics 1 (30 credits) in one year. The following year I could study MST125 - Essential Mathematics 2 (30 credits) to round out level 1 and also take 60 credits of level 2 Computing modules, because these mostly only rely on TU100. Some also require MST124. I could not, however, take one of the 60 credit second year Mathematics courses as these require MST125 to have already been completed.

This is fairly simple for studying 2 subjects as they generally don't require modules from each other at the next stage. For studying a single subject, if you are, it might be more awkward. Make sure to check the module pages for required modules from previous stages. It's possible that some level 2 courses aren't reliant on all of your level 1 courses, so it's worth a look. If you tell me what subject(s) you're studying I'll happily look into this for you.

I hope this helps. Good luck.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
thanks a lot for reply

im doing nat sci degree want to follow biology pathway

im doing s104 now, want to register for s141 to start in feb, that would leave me with s142 topics in science next year along compulsory level 2 s294 cell biology and s295 biology of survival...
Reply 3
Original post by pineaaapple
thanks a lot for reply

im doing nat sci degree want to follow biology pathway

im doing s104 now, want to register for s141 to start in feb, that would leave me with s142 topics in science next year along compulsory level 2 s294 cell biology and s295 biology of survival...

You should be absolutely fine then. I've just checked and both those modules only require you to have completed S104. S295 - Biology of Survival also mentions S141, although it says S104, S141 and/or U116.

Links to both:
http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/modules/s295#am-i-ready
http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/modules/s294#am-i-ready
Reply 4
thanks a lot, a lot really

going to register for s141 this week. that cheered me up
Reply 5
Original post by pineaaapple
thanks a lot, a lot really

going to register for s141 this week. that cheered me up

I'm really happy I could help.

Quick Reply