The Student Room Group

Academic Foundation Programme 2016

Couldn't find this thread (sorry if I've missed it) so thought I'd post it!

Is anyone else finding it really frustrating to find information from a lot of trusts about the programmes they offer?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yep, you just have to go to the individual trust websites to see the exact job descriptions. Really tedious…
Reply 2
Good job on creating the thread. So do you guys have additional degrees, I do not. I hope this doesn't put me at a disadvantage, the AFP is really competitive admitedly. Has anyone started informally putting their application together?
Only found 6 jobs I like.

Guess I'll only be ranking a handful of jobs then.

Where is everyone applying? I'm looking at Thames and South West.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lekky
Couldn't find this thread (sorry if I've missed it) so thought I'd post it!

Is anyone else finding it really frustrating to find information from a lot of trusts about the programmes they offer?

Thames and Southwest are quite good and have nice little descriptions.

Where u looking at?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by JOO93
Good job on creating the thread. So do you guys have additional degrees, I do not. I hope this doesn't put me at a disadvantage, the AFP is really competitive admitedly. Has anyone started informally putting their application together?

I have 1st iBSc but everything else in my application fairly lacking -- in 6-12 months I'll have 3 publications but this doesn't really help my education score or application now. bleurgh although can still talk about the projects at interview I guess!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by lekky
I have 1st iBSc but everything else in my application fairly lacking -- in 6-12 months I'll have 3 publications but this doesn't really help my education score or application now. bleurgh although can still talk about the projects at interview I guess!

I am going to go ahead and guess that is either some pretty standard false modesty or you must be friends with medics with some very unusually buff CVs.
Reply 7
Original post by AnonymousPenguin
I am going to go ahead and guess that is either some pretty standard false modesty or you must be friends with medics with some very unusually buff CVs.

All the people I know who are applying have prizes and publications with Pubmed ID and done stuff like been national trainer for medsin or started a charity..

Hopefully they are not the norm. Your post is slightly reassuring
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by lekky
All the people I know who are applying have prizes and publications with Pubmed ID and done stuff like been national trainer for medsin or started a charity..

Hopefully they are not the norm. Your post is slightly reassuring

They're probably the norm among Oxford, Cam and London AFP applicants. I would be very surprised if that was the case nationally - most schemes aren't that oversubscribed (1:3-ish) and at places like Oxford just about everyone applies.
Reply 9
I've heard about a cut off EPM for the AFP (in Thames at least). Anyone know what this has been/will be?
Original post by Woody.
I've heard about a cut off EPM for the AFP (in Thames at least). Anyone know what this has been/will be?

Last year the cut off was 42 or less.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1443049173.048098.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'll probably apply to two of these: Yorkshire and Humber (North-East), North West of England, West Midlands Central.
Hi all! Read the thread from last year and it seems a good proportion got accepted so hopefully this bodes well for us!

One thing that I was wondering is whether/how SJT timing and other things might affect the AUoA you apply for? For example, Severn and Cambridge are interviewing one or two days before my SJT date (Dec) which I'm not sure I'd be able to handle!

So far, I think I'll apply to Thames and one more which I have no idea about...
Reply 13
Original post by carcinoma

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. Hopefully I'll make the cut. I appreciate you need to be clinically competent as you have less time in F2, but I am somewhat sceptical as to whether decile position at medical school predicts success in an academic career.
Original post by carcinoma

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you know if this EPM cut-off is based purely on the decile or if it's same as UKFPO (i.e. decile+extra degrees+publications)
Reply 15
Almost certain that the EPM cut off published by Thames is the EPM score (so decile + publications + previous degrees) and not just decile.

If it was just decile then last year they would have rejected everyone below the 2nd decile, which would have been absolutely savage if true.

Also good job on getting this thread up and running :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by GrayFox.
Almost certain that the EPM cut off published by Thames is the EPM score (so decile + publications + previous degrees) and not just decile.

If it was just decile then last year they would have rejected everyone below the 2nd decile, which would have been absolutely savage if true.

Also good job on getting this thread up and running :smile:

Thanks! Currently thinking of applying to one of Oxford and Thames. Not sure what the profile of the typical Oxford candidate is in terms of publications and higher degrees such as PhD.
Has anybody had any experience on the Wales AFPs?
Reply 18
Hi everyone,

I am a fifth year medical student and I ranked within the 2nd decile of my year. I have no publications or additional degrees but I am nonetheless thinking of applying for an AFP, preferably in London. How much weight does Thames give to past research and degrees when considering candidates for an AFP? Do I even stand a chance?
Also, does anyone know whether Thames has specific criteria for consideration of AFP candidates?

Thanks for your help!
Hi All

Do you guys think it matters where you do an academic programme? For example, does it look better if you do an AFP in Thames compared to Yorkshire & Humber? It seems like a lot of the larger research institutions are based in Thames and therefore perhaps better opportunities?? (Or maybe this is a misconception?).

Also how much benefit does doing an AFP have? Does it stand you in better stead for a clinical fellowship/lectureship role? For example, could you undertake a normal foundation programme, do audits and teaching on the side and have the same competitive advantage as someone who has done an AFP?

Quick Reply

Latest