The Student Room Group

Is it fair to judge people for being obese, or morbidly obese?

So today I went for a meal at a fast food in my area...There was a lady, 25-30 st enjoying her fast food meal (when she got meal she didn't fail to complain about not having her fries in the bag), as a coincidence I left at the same time as her, on going outside I also noticed she parked on a disabled spot as well. Now, is it fair to judge people for being obese or morbidly obese? Obesity and type 2 diabetes costs about a quarter of the full NHS budget, should people take more responsibility for their life choices (including smoking, alcohol ad drug abuse)? What do you think?
Original post by Vlad_Tepes
So today I went for a meal at a fast food in my area...There was a lady, 25-30 st enjoying her fast food meal (when she got meal she didn't fail to complain about not having her fries in the bag), as a coincidence I left at the same time as her, on going outside I also noticed she parked on a disabled spot as well. Now, is it fair to judge people for being obese or morbidly obese? Obesity and type 2 diabetes costs about a quarter of the full NHS budget, should people take more responsibility for their life choices (including smoking, alcohol ad drug abuse)? What do you think?

It isn't fair to judge, no. Many people who are overweight have taken to eating due to emotional or other issues. However equally I don't believe in celebrating body size, as like you said this costs the NHS plus the problems it causes for the individual whose overweight/obese.
I wouldn't really think much about an obese person walking down the street, I don't know them so I don't care to judge. Someone I know however, I wouldn't judge them as a person for being obese. We all have flaws and it would be silly of me to cherry pick over eating as the one thing to judge them on as a person. However I would judge their behaviour if they started spouting HAES nonsense or fat-logic. Such as "it's my genetics, I can't lose weight." While they eat 4000 calories a day. I don't care who your are, if you say bull**** like that I'll call you out on it. As ignorance like that just spurs this kind of behaviour on, damaging reckless and unhealthy behaviour. All because they'd rather lie to themselves than take a responsibility. However I acknowledge of course not all obese people are in denial. This is a select few.
(edited 8 years ago)
I do not think it is ok to judge, I have a severe eating disorder and have since I was was young ams this is through going through a lot of sh*t and death

And frankly I don’t go out much any more as I get heckled in the street and people always stare and point and laugh. I don’t do that to anyone and I have never hurt anyone, I am not a drain on the NHS,I have not been there for weight related illness, so why is it ok for people to mock me and point at me like I have two heads or a flashing sign on my forehead.
(edited 5 years ago)
no...but you can judge people who absolutely spend no effort trying to change that about them selves.
on an emotional level they say? fat people could be hurting their family members emotional as well...loved ones seeing their family fat and knowing that guy has probably cut his longevity in half...it's the same as having an excessive smoker for a parent...you're scared every time they cough
Reply 5
I don't think you should say anything to obese or diabetic people because at the same time we don't know who they are and there situation there might be a past to there obesity but they do cost the NHS a lot but the things that not only diabetic people do costs. It's not fair to judge these people it's like saying it ok to judge other people and there are a lot of people who are even worse such as drug addicts and thieves.
AQA physics clearly thinks it's okay.
I admit it can be hard not to judge but there are so many health/mental issues they may have suffered/are suffering from, and you can't deduce this from their image. This applies to anyone you see walking past you in the street.
No. Its none of your business (people are like 'ohh im only concerned for their health' no you aren't - you just want to tease someone)
People are overweight for loads of reasons. I am and feel judged every time i go somewhere (whether or not i actually am idk). Try as i might to lose weight (have tried hard) just doesnt go, or goes and comes back. Is hard enough for 'normal' people to lose weight, PCOS and antipsychotics make it harder (yes ik it isnt impossible but you give it a go)
Just get on your with life without judging everyone else.
Is it fair to judge a smack head? If yes, then it is fair to judge someone who is overweight. At the end of the day, they both have addictions which are caused by an emptiness in their life. They fill it with their substance of choice. For some, this is shagging the town. Others it is alcohol. And there are people who eat non-stop to fill that void in their life and to distract themselves from it.
Original post by TheRuralJuror
no...but you can judge people who absolutely spend no effort trying to change that about them selves.
on an emotional level they say? fat people could be hurting their family members emotional as well...loved ones seeing their family fat and knowing that guy has probably cut his longevity in half...it's the same as having an excessive smoker for a parent...you're scared every time they cough

Yes but how can you tell from one glance if they have tried

I don’t know if I agree with you but if I did it comes down to the you shouldn’t judge before you know someone
Original post by TroubledTeen66
Yes but how can you tell from one glance if they have tried

I don’t know if I agree with you but if I did it comes down to the you shouldn’t judge before you know someone

when you see someone morbidly fat eating a McDonald's instead of a salad
Original post by TheRuralJuror
when you see someone morbidly fat eating a McDonald's instead of a salad

So are you saying people with an over eating disorder should only eat salad and if they was to treat themselves (Mabye it’s their birthday or something bad has happened) they should do it at home where people can’t see them?
If they don’t does that mean it is ok to judge them as it is their fault for daring to eat out?
Reply 13
You younguns care about the weirdest stuff.
Original post by TroubledTeen66
So are you saying people with an over eating disorder should only eat salad and if they was to treat themselves (Mabye it’s their birthday or something bad has happened) they should do it at home where people can’t see them?
If they don’t does that mean it is ok to judge them as it is their fault for daring to eat out?

i Never said eating out.
I said eating a publicly known unhealthy food, I my self have never eaten McDonald's I'm not joking, I have very good self control. the moment I know something is bad for me I do not take it.
just look at Kuwait McDonald's invaded them, now 18 year olds have diabetes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyMTSvVAtWM
yes, people definitely should take care of themselves but unfortunately, people usually don't.
I think people should take more responsibility for their lives in that aspect; however, you can't really judge them. Only they truly understand what they're going through and why they do what they do.
(edited 5 years ago)
When you’re a perfect human being you can cast judgement on others.
You know absolutely nothing about the strangers you see in the street and have no business commenting on them.
How do you know that her weight was caused by overeating? Maybe the disability caused the weight gain. Does that mean she can never eat a McDonald’s again? You don’t know how frequently it happens.
And you were in McDonald’s too. You may not be overweight. Have you had the levels of visceral fat around your organs checked? Being slim does not make you immune. And that fat is dangerous.
There are so many reasons people overeat. And you will know none of them.
If people concentrated on themselves instead of poking into other people’s business it would be a better world.
And before you ask, no I am not overweight
Let he who is without vice cast the first stone. :wizard:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending