The Student Room Group

At what ranking do universities become not worth going

Scroll to see replies

Original post by callum_law
No, I was talking about your spelling—that is the word I used in the antecedent clause. I then said "you can not use your correctly". You are clutching at straws if you are supposing that I was trying to say "you cannot use [your spelling] correctly". That sentence makes absolutely no sense stylistically. As you can see by the other posts in this thread, I am a grammatical demigod. You might construct such an egregious clause, but not me.

Spoiler

You have continually spliced commas, which I admit is acceptable for an informal register. Though, you have shown your willingness to use semicolons (inappropriately), so I do not accept the register excuse.

I am trying to teach a lot of people in this thread about the subtleties of English grammar and I think you are being selfish demanding all my time. Henceforth, you shall not receive a reply.

Best of luck at Warwick or Coventry Uni—whichever gives you an offer, bud.

I had an offer from Durham and declined it. That must mean Durham is unworthy of attending, yes?

Your saying you did not accept an offer is not meaningful without context. For example, you might have declined it because you had an offer from a better course. However, that does not mean that Sheffield is itself bad.

In which case, my apologise I must have read YOUR (better) statement incorrectly. Might I ask how I used the semi colon incorrectly, for future reference? Also, would you advice not using so many commas?
Reply 81
Original post by callum_law

Your saying you did not accept an offer is not meaningful without context.

You're*.

gooot emm :smug:
Original post by ubisoft
You're*.

Nope, saying is gerundive.
Reply 83
Original post by Littleham
Economically speaking as all universities are around the same price tag so when does it become financially sensible to not go to university, if your prospective jobs aren't able to pay for that loan?

Anything past 30 - 35 n its better to do an apprenticeship instead tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ubisoft
You're*.

Unlucky bud, he's actually correct.
Reply 85
Original post by Princepieman
Unlucky bud, he's actually correct.

Yeah, just reread it and figured he was referring to my "saying". My bad.
Original post by drowzee
Read the first stanza and stopped there, you are so gross. :puke:
Your lyrics are terrible btw.
where's yo' rhymes? i'm waitin'
cos this time, you're just player-hatin'
this is my moment to shine, so more congratulatin'
not impressed? fine, i'll be masturbatin'
i mean open your eyes and stop the lies
MC booSack is on the rise it's no surprise
which implies talking smack will only lead you to your demise
so i advise to be wise
before i nut in your eyes like mayonaise on french fries

Original post by Skill Twix
Even going to Kent will get you to Goldman Sachs!
ey yo check dis.

ever seen someone who's brown
looking like he could be a clown
but you look deeper and he prolly has a syndrome that's down
booSack's skills on the mic are profound
callin' yourself skill twix
but you neva reel chicks
you just feel dicks
im known for making girls queef
killing thiefs
so leave me alone chief
(edited 8 years ago)
I'd say outside top 5 and it's a waste of your time and money, time is too valuable to be wasting 3-5 years to potentially get a few extra thousand pounds a year after graduating and paying for student fees.
Reply 88
Original post by ComputerMaths97
I'd say outside top 5 and it's a waste of your time and money, time is too valuable to be wasting 3-5 years to potentially get a few extra thousand pounds a year after graduating and paying for student fees.

Depends on what career you're looking at. For IB, top 5 is correct.

Given a vast majority of careers require a degree I think most people have little choice in the matter

Lol @ this nonsense.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Voss_1
Anything past 30 - 35 n its better to do an apprenticeship instead tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

I remember some of the apprenticeship adverts I'd see on job listing sites... "Do you have a C in GCSE Maths and English and a U in General Studies? Join Tesco today for an exciting opportunity to earn £1 an hour and a diploma in stacking shelves!" :lolwut:
Personally im not too fused about the ranking. I mean you could be at a uni thats in the top 10 and still do bad, it also depends on how much effort you put in.
The uni I wanna go to is below 50 but idc because the modules in the course is intersting and perfect for me.
As long as you do well and get a degree then it doesnt matter what uni you went to.
Original post by sorafdfs
I remember some of the apprenticeship adverts I'd see on job listing sites... "Do you have a C in GCSE Maths and English and a U in General Studies? Join Tesco today for an exciting opportunity to earn £1 an hour and a diploma in stacking shelves!" :lolwut:

Would you rather some people be unemployed and on JSA?
Original post by Littleham
Economically speaking as all universities are around the same price tag so when does it become financially sensible to not go to university, if your prospective jobs aren't able to pay for that loan?

I am SO sick of seeing this on TSR I nearly didn't go to uni because of this. There isn't, recent studies have shown graduate unemployment is around 4 months after graduating no matter what uni you go to, there is a 6% difference in wages. A degree is a degree your experience and personal development are worth more than your institution.
Original post by Nathan Prescott
lmao at 'malicious' actually lolling right now

Is that too long a word?
I haven't gotten into Uni yet but I'm hoping to get an offer this year. When looking at Uni rankings use something reliable like QS and not The Guardian as their rankings are extremely volatile. Look at grades and not necessarily ranking e.g. AAB/ABB minimum, if that doesn't help then it's really up to you but I would prefer to stay around top 25.
Original post by Evil Genius
What if someone went to a average to decent ranked Uni like De Montford, got a first/2.1 and then did a Masters at somewhere like Warwick, would that help their prospects or nah?

Well I guess they'd have to learn how to spell the name of their uni first.
Original post by victoriajackson
I am SO sick of seeing this on TSR I nearly didn't go to uni because of this. There isn't, recent studies have shown graduate unemployment is around 4 months after graduating no matter what uni you go to, there is a 6% difference in wages. A degree is a degree your experience and personal development are worth more than your institution.

You're telling me people who don't land jobs before uni ends are only unemployed for 4 months before getting a graduate job? I thinketh not.

Truth is, if you want a graduate job, you're better off going to one of the universities that employers target, I mean you don't necessarily HAVE to, but the battle become a lot more chaotic if you don't.

Certainly, there are outliers of people who have managed to get on to graduate jobs from less targeted universities and yes, they have gone on to earn a decent wage but for the majority of people, it'd be a much wiser decision to go to a uni with some semblance of recognition.

I'll have to declare a disclaimer: this doesn't apply to non-traditional degrees nor does it apply to non-traditional careers, design for example. Even then it does to an extent, Leeds/Loughborough have some of the best design courses in the country, even Coventry/Sheffield Hallam are decent - that's because they've built up their own niche brand recognition.

At the end of the day, to maximise your chances of getting into the career you want, go to a university that is recognised for your subject, overall rankings are only nominally useful for a certain small range of careers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
You're telling me people who don't land jobs before uni ends are only unemployed for 4 months before getting a graduate job? I thinketh not.

Truth is, if you want a graduate job, you're better off going to one of the universities that employers target, I mean you don't necessarily HAVE to, but the battle become a lot more chaotic if you don't.

Certainly, there are outliers of people who have managed to get on to graduate jobs from less targeted universities and yes, they have gone on to earn a decent wage but for the majority of people, it'd be a much wiser decision to go to a uni with some semblance of recognition.

I'll have to declare a disclaimer: this doesn't apply to non-traditional degrees nor does it apply to non-traditional careers, design for example. Even then it does to an extent, Leeds/Loughborough have some of the best design courses in the country, even Coventry/Sheffield Hallam are decent - that's because they've built up their own niche brand recognition.

At the end of the day, to maximise your chances of getting into the career you want, go to a university that is recognised for your subject, overall rankings are only nominally useful for a certain small range of careers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Average sweetheart sorry I didn't make that clear,
I agree with the most of what you have said however I attend the university of Huddersfield and graduate prospects aren't that much lower than the university of Leeds.
Employers don't look at the institution as much as people think especially TSR's weird red brick elitism.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending