The Student Room Group

Cambridge: natural sciences or mathematics with physics?

I want to apply for 2016 entry to Cambridge for physics. I was intending to apply for natural sciences but have just learned you can apply for mathematics with physics in the ffirst year then transfer to natural science. Does anyone know if you can apply to natsci then transfer before starting to the mathematics with physics first year course?
Reply 1
Original post by lambda98
I want to apply for 2016 entry to Cambridge for physics. I was intending to apply for natural sciences but have just learned you can apply for mathematics with physics in the ffirst year then transfer to natural science. Does anyone know if you can apply to natsci then transfer before starting to the mathematics with physics first year course?

I'm just posting, I'm not quite sure whether or not you're aware of it yet, the mathematics and physics course is one where you do half the natsci physics stuff and half the maths stuff - then after studying that for a year, you either go into NatSci or Maths. But you still need to study it for a year.

I'm not quire sure what your question is, to be honest.
Reply 2
You'd have to talk to your prospective DoS and the maths DoS at the college, I really doubt they'd let you without making you take STEP II/III or some STEP-like test they make.
Reply 3
Original post by Zacken
I'm just posting, I'm not quite sure whether or not you're aware of it yet, the mathematics and physics course is one where you do half the natsci physics stuff and half the maths stuff - then after studying that for a year, you either go into NatSci or Maths. But you still need to study it for a year.

I'm not quire sure what your question is, to be honest.

Thanks, I really want to do what you said and transfer after the first year (in to natsci), but I'm not completely sure so just wondered if I could apply for natsci then transfer to the first year maths/physics course after, before transfering back..
That probably made no sense though :smile:
Reply 4
Thanks, I really want to do what you said and transfer after the first year (in to natsci), but I'm not completely sure so just wondered if I could apply for natsci then transfer to the first year maths/physics course after, before transfering back..

So to clarify: you want to apply for NatSci, get to uni, switch to Maths and Physics then after the first year switch back to NatSci?

Why can't you just apply for Maths + Physics directly?
The thing is that with Maths and Physics you need to sit for the Cambridge entrance exam as part of their offer - so I doubt they'd let you switch there without sitting it.
Reply 5
Original post by Zacken
So to clarify: you want to apply for NatSci, get to uni, switch to Maths and Physics then after the first year switch back to NatSci?

Why can't you just apply for Maths + Physics directly?
The thing is that with Maths and Physics you need to sit for the Cambridge entrance exam as part of their offer - so I doubt they'd let you switch there without sitting it.

Pretty much :wink: It's just if I change my mind about natsci. But yeah you're probably right anyway thanks!
Reply 6
Pretty much :wink: It's just if I change my mind about natsci. But yeah you're probably right anyway thanks!

If you decide to apply for Maths + Physics from them get go, be aware that there is a really really hard entrance exam hurdle on top of everything else.
Reply 7
Original post by Zacken
If you decide to apply for Maths + Physics from them get go, be aware that there is a really really hard entrance exam hurdle on top of everything else.

yeah, do you know if it's the same at all colleges?
Reply 8
yeah, do you know if it's the same at all colleges?

Yes. Everybody applying for Maths, Maths + Physics, Maths + CompSci has to sit for STEP in June 2016 in order to gain admission in October 2016.

Further to this, different colleges have different pre-interview tests as well.
Reply 9

No you can't apply to NatSci and then switch immediately to Maths (or Maths w/Physics). Maths applicants have to do STEP, NatScis usually don't. What you are proposing would be an easier "back door" into Maths and Cambridge don't allow it.

You do get Mathmos moving to NatSci though, usually after the 1st year.
Reply 10
Original post by jneill
No you can't apply to NatSci and then switch immediately to Maths (or Maths w/Physics). Maths applicants have to do STEP, NatScis usually don't. What you are proposing would be an easier "back door" into Maths and Cambridge don't allow it.

Thanks I'm already sitting STEP anyway so if I don't fail it (which I probably will!) that's not an issue, but thanks :smile:
Reply 11
Thanks I'm already sitting STEP anyway so if I don't fail it (which I probably will!) that's not an issue, but thanks :smile:

?

Why are you sitting STEP?

So why not just apply to Maths w/Physics ?
Original post by jneill

How does this work? Do they still have to have the relevant A Levels etc.?
Reply 13
Original post by Jordan\
How does this work? Do they still have to have the relevant A Levels etc.?

It's one of the features of Cambridge that you can change Tripos. But it has to be done with the agreement of the DoSs in your original and new courses. Your A-levels would be part of that discussion.

Some Tripos changes are reasonably common (e.g. a humanities to a different humanities), and some are actually part of the original process (e.g. to Chemical Engineering from either NatSci or Engineering).

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/structure

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending