The Student Room Group

I don't know what to do!! From Medicine to Maths!

Hey TSR,

I'm really confused now on what to do. Before I wanted to study Medicine and become a doctor however I've always loved maths. However, on results day everything was ruined.

My Grades:

Maths: A
UMS: C1/93, C2/100, C3/80

Further Maths: D
UMS: FP1/88, M1/40, M2/38

Biology: C
UMS: F211/45, F212/83, ISA/60

Chemistry: D
UMS: F321/41, F322/86, ISA/43

So as you can see, I didn't do that well in Biology, Chemistry and Mechanics (so my Further Maths grade was crap), thus I can't really go into Medicine.

I dropped Chemistry and I'm aiming to get at least a B for Biology, an C/B for Further Maths, and an A* in Maths.

So, I was wondering if any Russell Group University would accept anyone with A*BC or A*BB to do Maths? Like I really love Maths but I don't know what to do now since my Further Maths grade was a C because I really hate Mechanics. Plus looking at my current AS Grades, will any Russell Group Uni for Maths give me an offer?

If not, can you tell me any good universities for Maths for my predictions and my current grades?
Do not get over-focussed on 'Russell Group', It is a marketing concept, that is all.

It doesn't mean 'better' Uni' or 'better course' - it certainly doesn't mean that you will enjoy being at that Uni or doing that course any more than any other or get a 'better' degree result.

School-leavers obsess about this - it fact its meaningless once you get to Uni, and oven more meaningless once you graduate. For the majority of mainstream employers, they dont give a monkeys which Uni you went to and a 2i or First is all they are concerned about. They do not sift applications depending on which Uni you went to.

With ACD as your 5 best grades, you will struggle to get an offer from any Uni asking for 'grades' - because these will be successive grades such as ABB or BBB. You should either be looking at 'points' Unis - or retaking your weakest A levels.

Loughborough, Kent, Plymouth, Keele, Portsmouth, Oxford Brookes would all be excellent Unis worth looking at with your current grades - do not assume anything about these Unis until you have actually gone to an Open Day - you will be surprised.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending