The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

HammaL

Warwick's Maths dep is very very good. I would say its the 4th in the UK.

Hehe, not be be pedantic or anything but what do you consider 3rd? I consider Warwick to be 2nd/3rd. The level is the same as Oxford, but when checking out exams I found the Oxford exams to be slightly tougher than Warwick's. If you placed Imperial 3rd, then check out their 1st year modules and their content: they cover topics in less detail than Warwick (notably analysis), and some of the topics of their second have been partially covered at Warwick in the first year. They do seem to have a lot of assesed work though. Research wise, I can't say much as I'm not enough "in the know" to have a decent opinion. But from all the lecturers/mathematicians/researchers I have talked to (which is of course subjective opinion) it's pretty much:

1.Cambridge 2.Oxford 3.Warwick then we have Imperial, UCL, Bath, Bristol, Notts, Durham (in no particular order) closely behind.

LSE is a special case as its research is very specific and cannot be compared to others but for undergrad its Maths+Econ program is, from what I have heard, very respected and it's a really competitive degree to get into.

The 2001 (a bit outdated, true) RAE (Research Assessment Exercise) places it 2nd behind Cambridge for maths with 5*,5*,5 and a high proportion of staff submited.

Latest