The Student Room Group

Got a Psychology BSc, now do I become a school counsellor?

Hello,

I have recently graduated from a Russell Group university obtaining a 2:1 in Psychology (69%). I am interested in secondary school counselling, however, I have done many google searches and I cannot find out a definite way how to get into school counselling, or even if school counselling is a thing. Each website says different things. I know the usual route into general counselling is to obtain a Counselling Skills Certificate and then progress onto a diploma in Counselling (all accredited by the BACP), but how would I get into a school environment with these qualifications? Currently my voluntary experience includes attending a rehabilitation centre once a fortnight for 8 months visiting individuals with mental health issues and volunteering with Nightline for 3 months. I understand that I would need experience with children/adolescents of secondary school age.

Also, while searching into counselling it seems the majority of respondents on forums are saying not to bother, as there are more people qualifying as counsellors than there are counselling job positions and that counselling does not pay well enough to be a stand alone career. Does anyone know if this is the case, or whether it is worth going into counselling? I feel like this is the only job I can see myself doing.

Lastly, is becoming a teacher a way into school counselling? I am more passionate about pure counselling rather than becoming a teacher though, but if this is the most obvious path I am willing to take it.

I don't feel that I could ever do a doctorate in Counselling Psychology, I'm not very good at interviews and I just think it is far too competitive for someone who has nothing unique about their experiences/qualifications etc, never mind the fact I'd probably be way out of my depth doing one.

Any help is appreciated!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by lookingforhelp
Hello,

I have recently graduated from a Russell Group university obtaining a 2:1 in Psychology (69%). I am interested in secondary school counselling, however, I have done many google searches and I cannot find out a definite way how to get into school counselling, or even if school counselling is a thing. Each website says different things. I know the usual route into general counselling is to obtain a Counselling Skills Certificate and then progress onto a diploma in Counselling (all accredited by the BACP), but how would I get into a school environment with these qualifications? Currently my voluntary experience includes attending a rehabilitation centre once a fortnight for 8 months visiting individuals with mental health issues and volunteering with Nightline for 3 months. I understand that I would need experience with children/adolescents of secondary school age.

Also, while searching into counselling it seems the majority of respondents on forums are saying not to bother, as there are more people qualifying as counsellors than there are counselling job positions and that counselling does not pay well enough to be a stand alone career. Does anyone know if this is the case, or whether it is worth going into counselling? I feel like this is the only job I can see myself doing.

Lastly, is becoming a teacher a way into school counselling? I am more passionate about pure counselling rather than becoming a teacher though, but if this is the most obvious path I am willing to take it.

I don't feel that I could ever do a doctorate in Counselling Psychology, I'm not very good at interviews and I just think it is far too competitive for someone who has nothing unique about their experiences/qualifications etc, never mind the fact I'd probably be way out of my depth doing one.

Any help is appreciated!

I don't think you need to be a teacher. Best person to ask is perhaps someone in the position? Or teachers. Work experience / teaching assistant roles that don't typically require qualifications may be useful experience and away to get in touch / get advice from individuals in those roles.
Original post by Yawn11
I don't think you need to be a teacher. Best person to ask is perhaps someone in the position? Or teachers. Work experience / teaching assistant roles that don't typically require qualifications may be useful experience and away to get in touch / get advice from individuals in those roles.

Yeah I am going to look into experience within a school/with children and adolescents. I will try and contact someone who is in the position too :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending